IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m at the boss 😬

The game kind of throws a lot at you that you can't deal with yet at first. There are a few obtuse bits in there but most things kind of get sorted out as you play through. Enjoy the mystery for the first few hours, it's one of the best bits of the game. 

2 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

The game kind of throws a lot at you that you can't deal with yet at first. There are a few obtuse bits in there but most things kind of get sorted out as you play through. Enjoy the mystery for the first few hours, it's one of the best bits of the game. 

Yeah it’s super weird, I’m really enjoying the story and also the way it’s told through the imagery, the debris, crumbling ruins, decay etc.

I got the boss down to the last health bar but then they had me, those melee attacks were too much for me in the end. 

It does feel like playing arcade games of old to me, that one more go factor and just the sheer prowess of getting better at it, and when you can’t wait to get in there for your next go.

I mean can you imagine back in the day walking into an arcade and seeing someone play this? I think we’ve kind of lost that sense of awe and wonderment in gaming but titles like this certainly bring it back for me.

Absolutely stunning game to the core. 

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

I love the Spitmaw, it's a beast of a weapon, but it's a weapon that demands an up close and personal agressive style of play, which is probably something you don't want to do unless you feel more confident.  So I'd focus on the other weapons right now. 

In my early torturous days of being absolutely shit I wouldn't go near the Spitmaw, but then I read about people saying being more aggressive worked better and I forced myself to pick it up whenever I saw it. It was one of the key things that made me better at the game.

51 minutes ago, Hewson said:

In my early torturous days of being absolutely shit I wouldn't go near the Spitmaw, but then I read about people saying being more aggressive worked better and I forced myself to pick it up whenever I saw it. It was one of the key things that made me better at the game.

Yeah, it's definitely a great weapon if you play agressively. I do think it's less effective in B2 and 3 though, when you're dealing with more flying enemies and bigger distances, including bosses. But it's one of my favourite B1 weapons.

Also, it can't be stated enough how good melee is in this game. The sword is a very good weapon.

13 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

What's that gun with the returning bullets? That's amazing with the right traits, just a constant stream of damage when you're right next to a big enemy.

I think you mean the Dreadbound? That's definitely one of the coolest weapons.

3 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, it's definitely a great weapon if you play agressively. I do think it's less effective in B2 and 3 though, when you're dealing with more flying enemies and bigger distances, including bosses. But it's one of my favourite B1 weapons.

Also, it can't be stated enough how good melee is in this game. The sword is a very good weapon.

I didn’t even realise there was a sword until I unlocked it earlier - is it possible to counter with it? 

I am having my best run at the moment - max adrenaline, level 5 carbine, loads of extra integrity, all kinds of business going on 

It’s just so organic isn’t it, an overused word that but in this case it really is true - I’m just getting a feel for things now and how they all work and slot together. 

This has to be the greatest third person action/shooter game I’ve ever played. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I am having my best run at the moment - max adrenaline, level 5 carbine, loads of extra integrity, all kinds of business going on 

It’s just so organic isn’t it, an overused word that but in this case it really is true - I’m just getting a feel for things now and how they all work and a slot together. 

This has to be the greatest third person action/shooter game I’ve ever played. 

The best bit is that is that in a week or two you will be breezing through that area with careless abandon as you lay waste to all that oppose you without so much as a scratch . Not because of levelling up , but because everything clicks 

Yes I am already noticing an improvement and how I’ve changed or adapted how I play - for example I don’t aim down the sights all the time now, and depending on the enemy and/or weapon I’m firing from the hip a lot more. 

Really excited to try the boss again, any tips for avoiding his charge/melee move? 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I didn’t even realise there was a sword until I unlocked it earlier - is it possible to counter with it? 

No, but it does a ton of damage and works great against flying enemies.

45 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

No, but it does a ton of damage and works great against flying enemies.

I’m pretty sure the sword deflects bullets if you get the timing right, not sure if it works on all colours though 🤔.

2 hours ago, MrSpiggott said:

I’m pretty sure the sword deflects bullets if you get the timing right, not sure if it works on all colours though 🤔.

Really? I don't think I ever tried it to be fair, as many enemies fire a stream of bullets or rays. But I'm gonna give it a try on slower projectiles then. :)

Pretty cool that even after over 150 hours played this game can still surprise me.

One thing is certain, this is not the game to play if you’re tired. I did really well during the day yesterday when I was fully awake and alert but during the evening I became sloppy and kept on dying. 

On 11/01/2022 at 05:58, Stanley said:

What do I do with data cubes I find? It says to deposit them for permanent use in future cycles, but I don’t know how. 

On 11/01/2022 at 06:01, Uncle Mike said:

There's a machine behind the boss that you dump them in. Which obviously means getting to a point where you can defeat the boss.

Yes. In Biome 2 you can use the datacube processor without facing the boss, on the condition that you have defeated it once already. In Biome 4 you can use the processor without facing the boss at all, which is very nice.

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

One thing is certain, this is not the game to play if you’re tired. I did really well during the day yesterday when I was fully awake and alert but during the evening I became sloppy and kept on dying. 

This is extremely true. Night and day difference. Although let it be said that just because you're not making progress doesn't mean you're not making progress: every artifact you scan, every weapon trait you unlock is another arrow in your quiver. My advice to anyone running through this for the first time is to make a beeline for the main objectives in each Biome and not to focus too heavily on "clearing" the Biome. There are some objectives that, once completed, do not need to be completed again. For instance, once you've opened the door to, or faced (and lost) to a boss, there will be an option to teleport straight there. What I did in Biomes 2, 3, 4, and 5 is to basically leg it in the direction of the objective marker to try and complete it, even if the run was doomed. Minimizing progress loss, essentially. Then once I unlocked the boss or whatever I would focus on clearing the Biome to level up so future runs would be made easier.

This is one of those games that I'm happy to play just for playing's sake, because the core gameplay is so well-executed that I don't even need an objective or any kind of real progress to enjoy it. It reminds me of Grunt's loyalty mission in ME:2 where you face off against the Thresher Maw, and the objective is simply: "Survive."

1 hour ago, Floshenbarnical said:

For instance, once you've opened the door to, or faced (and lost) to a boss, there will be an option to teleport straight there.

Really? I think I've overlooked a rather major detail here.

Decided to jump back into this tonight (given all the recent love), trying out weapons I've neglected previously. Still can't get on with Dreadbound, but the Pyroshell Caster is amazing. Eventually swapped out for Spitmaw and went for the boss in B1. Don't think I've ever taken him down with the Spitmaw before. Phase 1 and 2 were straightforward, but he hammered me in phase 3. Did it with a tiny sliver of health. Heart pounding. What a game! Arrived in B2:

17e507e1e6888-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.1607a099965625982424107cc3d4aadc.jpg

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Really? I think I've overlooked a rather major detail here.

B1 doesn’t let you do it. B2 has a teleporter at the entrance when you go inside the main structure. B3 you can just go find the bridge. B4 doesn’t let you do it, B5 the door is in the main area, B6 I haven’t done :(

I’m gonna make a run for the first boss tonight and beat him, I’ve had a couple of goes now but I always ritually rinse the first area completely, which is unnecessary isn’t it?

Then I went straight to him and got pretty far with basically no upgrades at all - just observing his patterns. I reckon I can get him down now. 

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’m gonna make a run for the first boss tonight and beat him, I’ve had a couple of goes now but I always ritually rinse the first area completely, which is unnecessary isn’t it?

Then I went straight to him and got pretty far with basically no upgrades at all - just observing his patterns. I reckon I can get him down now. 

Bear in mind that health upgrades etc carry over to the next biome  . So while you might not need it for the first boss , any boost to health , or currency , level , or astronauts or ether ,  or perks will come in handy for what comes after .

If you are getting to the stage where you are flying through the first biome without too much trouble ( except the boss) then to start with I would stick with that to build yourself up. Once you beat him you can farm the first biome before going straight to the second etc . 

but that was just me. 

Good point, I think I’m just at the stage where I just need to beat him and get the job done, I didn’t consider I could go back through the biome, thanks for the tip.

God I love this game.