IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

10 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Heading straight to the boss means lack of proficiency, and therefore a very weak weapon. Might be an exercise in frustration. 

Yeah that’s why I tried it really and I fared ok, I might bring up the prof to at least 1 then and go for the boss - I just want to beat the bugger. 

My view is that it's totally possible to defeat every boss using the weapon just outside their arena. Having a more powerful weapon can definitely speed things up, but enemy attacks hit so hard in Returnal that getting their patterns down is exponentially more important than the equipment you bring in.

Improving your loadout is actually more important for normal encounters, as those fights aren't as predictable. Due to the randomisation it's pretty easy to walk into a situation you aren't prepared or equipped for, whereas once you get over the initial awe of a boss you can know exactly what to expect going into it.

There is actually a guy who completed the whole game with just the sword. :)

Regarding bosses if you haven't beaten any, I'd definitely go in with an extended health bar, a good weapon and at least one large health vial (I think these are better than the Astronaut, though that one is a nice bonus). Also, a high adrenaline level has some nice boons, even though it might be tricky to maintain.

But yeah, pattern recognition is the most important. Movement in Returnal is more important than shooting.

I bought this in the sale - the effusive praise in the GOTY thread on here was too much to resist. 

What a fucking game. I beat Phrike second go! Absolute punch the air moment.

Everyone has spoken at length about the gameplay here but I am equally blown away by the graphics and art design. The sense of scale is immense. I’ve just come off trying to get through Halo Infinite and everything about it seemed so limited and compromised, whereas this feels like a technical powerhouse - you’d never think Returnal was the work of a relatively small developer.

Yeah, it’s an example of everything coming together - the symbiotic relationship between technology and artistic design. I love how they use the dual sense for example. It’s the whole experience. 

Also well done doing Phrike second go! I was too tired to play last night but today I’m all for it. 

16 hours ago, Flanders said:

I bought this in the sale - the effusive praise in the GOTY thread on here was too much to resist. 

What a fucking game. I beat Phrike second go! Absolute punch the air moment.

Everyone has spoken at length about the gameplay here but I am equally blown away by the graphics and art design. The sense of scale is immense. I’ve just come off trying to get through Halo Infinite and everything about it seemed so limited and compromised, whereas this feels like a technical powerhouse - you’d never think Returnal was the work of a relatively small developer.

Absolutely this. I played Halo after mainlining Returnal for several days and it was like maneuvering a marionette made of lead through wet concrete. Terrible experience.

It's an astonishing technical achievement, and I'm sure the tight design and purposefully limited scope and lack of extraneous features helped this. I have yet to have a single CTD, bug, freeze, slowdown, glitch, annoying thing happen. Well actually plenty of annoying things have happened, but they were all user error.

Masterpiece

Oh, I've had the game crash a few times on me (probably 3 or 4 times in my 50 odd hours), but it doesn't matter much as I'm back in within 30 seconds and you don't lose any progress. 

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/the-best-games-of-2021/

As I was trying to find the words that would justify calling Returnal the best game of an impressive year, I realized that many of the things this game does so well can be found in other titles. There’s a time loop similar to the one in Deathloop, the basic roguelike concepts so brilliantly utilized in Loop Hero, and the kind of unpredictable horror-driven narrative that makes Inscryption so incredible. Is Returnal just the complete package that perfectly represents the things that make the year’s best games so special?

Perhaps, but the key to Returnal’s brilliance may be developer Housemarque’s roots. Not long ago, Housemarque published a letter in which the studio questioned if there was even a home for the kind of arcade-like, reflex-driven gaming experiences that they loved so much. At the time, it felt like a tragic reminder that there are times when artists are no longer allowed to practice their craft not because they aren’t the absolute best at it but because the world has gone in a different direction. 

After Returnal, though, that letter feels like a declaration of intent. Returnal is somehow both an amazing arcade-like shooter experience, a shockingly brilliant Metroidvania roguelike title, a mind-bending example of timeloop storytelling, and a horror game that is as emotionally and intellectually challenging as it is genuinely terrifying. 

The word I think of when I think about what makes Returnal special is “challenge.” It challenged its developers to stay true to themselves while thinking outside of the box, it mechanically challenges you to overcome, ultimately enjoyable, gameplay hurdles, and it mentally challenges you to dissect and debate what it all means long after you’ve had the pleasure of playing it.

Having young kids and not much time to game these days, one thing I really appreciate with this is just how little  fat there is on this. I can whack this on for 30 minutes or so and have a really fulfilling gaming session with no hanging around for ponderous cut scenes or tedious side quests. It just seems to go out of its way to not frustrate you, even with its approach to things like collectibles appearing on the mini-map. 

And thank goodness for the new save mode. I’d never have been able to play it without it. 

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Backup your save to usb? Better than deleting and easy to retrieve in future.

You can’t back up PS5 saves to usb

You can upload to the cloud and then turn off auto sync to keep it safe though

Well, I finally plugged in the new PS5 and installed this. First game went really well, played for a long time, switched up weapons a few times, found transporters, alien inscriptions, loads of bits. Seemed to be ramping up gently.

Then I died properly for the first time. And failed to get past the first area after the ship three times after that. Talk about lulling you into a false sense of security...

Exactly my experience this week after finally giving this a go after owning this since launch.

First 2 hours of exploration were incredible. Love the environment, audio is immense and the mystery was gripping. Managing the combat fine, (remapping dash is essential), got 4 parasites, a pretty nasty weapon that seemed to shock enemies with a damage over time making it seemingly quite easy. Got to the boss, got the first two phases down without being hit and then, predictably enough, he cunted me with a teleportation move and wiped me out. 

I’m not sure roguelike mechanics are my thing. The complete stripping of all my stuff just makes me angry. :lol:

Did another 3 or 4 runs after that getting seemingly harder and harder enemies, shitter and shitter weapons and I’m just getting more frustrated. Got to the boss a couple more times but with barely any health and with a shitty pistol. 

I love Souls games so don’t mind a challenge but wondering if the technical excellence of this game will be enough for me to keep going. I can see why it’s so adored and when it was going well I did adore it but I may just be too old to cope with the stress of losing  :blah:

Tbh I don’t mind if this game takes me years to complete, or if I never complete it. R-Type took me about 5 years to master, for example, and because of that it’s one of my favourite ever games. I just enjoy the actual playing of them. I mean I never stick Robotron on to complete it, because you can’t! But I do stick it on to awake the senses and remind myself what videogames give me that no other medium can. 

1 hour ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Exactly my experience this week after finally giving this a go after owning this since launch.

First 2 hours of exploration were incredible. Love the environment, audio is immense and the mystery was gripping. Managing the combat fine, (remapping dash is essential), got 4 parasites, a pretty nasty weapon that seemed to shock enemies with a damage over time making it seemingly quite easy. Got to the boss, got the first two phases down without being hit and then, predictably enough, he cunted me with a teleportation move and wiped me out. 

I’m not sure roguelike mechanics are my thing. The complete stripping of all my stuff just makes me angry. :lol:

Did another 3 or 4 runs after that getting seemingly harder and harder enemies, shitter and shitter weapons and I’m just getting more frustrated. Got to the boss a couple more times but with barely any health and with a shitty pistol. 

I love Souls games so don’t mind a challenge but wondering if the technical excellence of this game will be enough for me to keep going. I can see why it’s so adored and when it was going well I did adore it but I may just be too old to cope with the stress of losing  :blah:

The genius of Returnal is that, just like Housemarque’s other titles, at its core you’re playing a 19’80’s arcade game.......most people just don’t realise it! You even get “Game Over” and chucked back to the beginning........but because of how it’s setup and structured folk don’t notice! Whilst it’s technically incredible, it excels because of its pure gameplay. 

Personally, I don’t  think the Souls games are particularly challenging. You can basically level up and just walk through stuff with very little skill involved. The combat is very lethargic, slow paced and measured too. Just like say, Ninja Gaiden, Returnal is on a whole other level and requires genuine skill and reflexes to beat, even when you’re on a good run with top gear. Fully kitted out.......good luck beating the final boss that’s spewing out 5 bazillion projectiles at 100mph that totally fill the screen! Aaaaaand...........back to the start. Lol. I’d say it doesn’t show it’s true nature until you hit the Biome 2 boss. From that point on you get a true idea of what the game involves and what it’s asking of you. It took me something like 20hrs to get past Biome 3 (although I’d not been using items properly). Just noticed from the trophies, that only 10% of players actually complete the game. Lol.

I’ve recently started playing it again........it’s hands down one of the best games ever made. An absolute masterpiece. Absolutely smashes everything else released in recent years. 130hrs played and its still totally compelling. 130hrs in and you still have to be on your toes at all times or it will fuck you up!

That said it’s not perfect, 130hrs played and the final 3 glyphs are still not appearing. It’s driving me up the fucking wall. I want to bag the Platinum for it (which I hardly ever bother with) and I want to get the Glyphs before doing Act 3. Anyone got any tips?

10 hours ago, MikeF said:

You can’t back up PS5 saves to usb

You can upload to the cloud and then turn off auto sync to keep it safe though

Oh. I didn't realise that had been changed versus PS4 and naively assumed it was still possible!

3 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

(remapping dash is essential)

Ooooh, what's the consensus? Circle didn't seem too bad on initial play through.

On a side note, I initially thought my controller was broken, with L2 sticking half-way through its travel...:doh:

Seems like those Glyphs just aren’t going to appear. 😕 I must have been through Biome 2 100s of times now and still no luck. Tried doing the level in reverse.....nothing. Weird thing is, in the videos I’ve watched, people are running through the levels to collect the glyphs with no real threat from any enemies. On my game however, it appears the difficulty is stuck ion “insane”. Every room, right from the start is loaded with multiple tough enemies that go fully nuts as soon as you enter and they then proceed to chase me through the levels too......which are also suddenly full of big laser sections I’ve never seen before in 130hrs. Does seem daft that in all that time certain rooms haven’t appeared and have still yet to show up. Feels like if they do I’ll get slaughtered trying to collect them with the barrage of enemy attacks I’m under.

Does anyone know how the difficulty level works in this? What’s causing the game to suddenly throw everything it’s got at me?

1 minute ago, smac said:

Ooooh, what's the consensus? Circle didn't seem too bad on initial play through.

On a side note, I initially thought my controller was broken, with L2 sticking half-way through its travel...:doh:

I left it on circle, doesn’t seem too bad. 

8 minutes ago, smac said:

R1 for dash, L1 for jump, R3 for melee. 

9 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Seems like those Glyphs just aren’t going to appear. 😕 I must have been through Biome 2 100s of times now and still no luck. Tried doing the level in reverse.....nothing. Weird thing is, in the videos I’ve watched, people are running through the levels to collect the glyphs with no real threat from any enemies. On my game however, it appears the difficulty is stuck ion “insane”. Every room, right from the start is loaded with multiple tough enemies that go fully nuts as soon as you enter and they then proceed to chase me through the levels too......which are also suddenly full of big laser sections I’ve never seen before in 130hrs. Does seem daft that in all that time certain rooms haven’t appeared and have still yet to show up. Feels like if they do I’ll get slaughtered trying to collect them with the barrage of enemy attacks I’m under.

Does anyone know how the difficulty level works in this? What’s causing the game to suddenly throw everything it’s got at me?

I believe the game difficulty bumps up with each Acts completed  (1, 2 and 3).

39 minutes ago, Polmon said:

That would make sense but, what I’m seeing isn’t a standard type of progression. I’ve been on Act 3 for many hrs now trying to get the Glyphs to appear. I played yesterday for about 2-3hrs and the game seemed at a normal level of difficulty. I did multiple runs through Biome 1, 2 and 3 searching for the stuff I’m missing, beat the 3rd boss each time, then started over. Today I’ve fired the game up and right from the start it was absolutely nuts! First room on Biome 1 was a real challenge with everything kicking off. Then on Biome 2, where the harder enemies usually slowly spawn in, they automatically appeared as soon as I entered the room and then followed me through the level, with all the other big enemies auto appearing and big laser sections to fight them all in! It was mental! The only other time I’ve seen something like this was when I got to the final boss with a massively powerful build and loads of health items.........and then the boss went fully nuts and absolutely filled the screen with projectiles to the point they were impossible to avoid.

Maybe it’s just random? It really makes the game seem like it’s got some kind of super A.I going on, that is monitoring how you play and adjusting itself accordingly. Feels almost like it’s playing you at times! Lol.

1 hour ago, Polmon said:

it also bumps up each time you enter a biome - I died in biome 2 thinking “well at least biome 1 will be a breeze comparatively”. No. Twice as fucking hard. I love the fuck yous the game throws at you 

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!