IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

23 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Story is proper making my head spin! Not been anything this cool since Silent Hill 2. Seems it’s not as open to interpretation as I first thought, having just read some comments from someone at Housemarque with regards to some of the cutscenes. Keep having the crazy idea of starting the whole game from scratch just to try and piece every last bit of info together properly and make sure I’ve not missed any cool little bits like that melody! What! A! Game!

Do you have a link to the Housemarque comments? Sounds interesting.

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Does anyone use the Hollow Seeker? I find it quite weak but wondered whether it comes alive at higher levels or something. I never pick it up now. 

😱

Grind it. STAT. Or at least until you unlock a Portal property on it.

Ooh, learned something about interacting with the environment today.

Spoiler

Secret rooms; you can cut through a particular kind of rock wall with the sword to access them.

Reminder, you can try out the max powered weapons by doing the challenges at the console. Remember the envy and power fantasy the first time I got hold of double turret Hollowseeker when all I was used to was Level 5 pistols

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

To add to this, I follow multiple Housemarque people on social media and while they do comment about theories and praise some of the psychoanalysis people come up with, they never outright confirm or deny any theories. They clearly want things to remain ambiguous.

Spoiler

I think it's a bit like Paul Verhoeven explaining the end of Total Recall.
https://www.mandatory.com/culture/1162415-exclusive-paul-verhoeven-finally-explains-ending-total-recall

The Silent Hill comparisons make perfect sense though. The director is a huge Silent Hill fan and they could easily make Returnal sequels in which Xaos/Atropos traps different astronauts. Not saying they will, as they seem to go bigger for their next game, but Alec Meer implied on Twitter that their next project(s) will have a similar approach to narrative design.

Also:

29 minutes ago, smac said:

Reveal hidden contents

Secret rooms; you can cut through a particular kind of rock wall with the sword to access them.

For those who do not know, shoot statues with yellow eyes. :)

I just shoot all the statues. I enjoy wrecking the environments 👹

Sometimes a random bit of destructible scenery will contain obolites or one of the manta Ray enemies (flappy obolites). 

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Here ya go mate......
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjLw9ngrsD1AhUJLsAKHdZvAtkQFnoECCcQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.playstation.com%2F2021%2F05%2F28%2Freturnal-the-making-of-that-unforgettable-hyperion-fight%2F&usg=AOvVaw2dmA79v197YdWxACkb2fRs

So, basically as far as I can see, the story is...

Spoiler

About an elderly woman at the end of her life - who is still struggling to deal with the Trauma she has been through and who has passed that trauma onto her loved ones. The whole story of the game is about not being able to escape yourself and your demons and not being able to escape your ultimate fate, even in death, as your genes and your actions are passed on to those around you shaping them, who in turn do the same. It’s really cool when you look up what Silphium is and what Atropos means and a lot of the other stuff. The phrase “Helios Abandoned” that you see each time you start a loop and the gasps for air when Selene wakes up, plus the Spaceship cockpit/escaping the car are pure genius. It’s very clever how they’ve used stuff and tied it all together, although I think there’s a better, simpler more satisfying story in there that could have been told overall.

14 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

To add to this, I follow multiple Housemarque people on social media and while they do comment about theories and praise some of the psychoanalysis people come up with, they never outright confirm or deny any theories. They clearly want things to remain ambiguous.

Reveal hidden contents

I think it's a bit like Paul Verhoeven explaining the end of Total Recall.
https://www.mandatory.com/culture/1162415-exclusive-paul-verhoeven-finally-explains-ending-total-recall

The Silent Hill comparisons make perfect sense though. The director is a huge Silent Hill fan and they could easily make Returnal sequels in which Xaos/Atropos traps different astronauts. Not saying they will, as they seem to go bigger for their next game, but Alec Meer implied on Twitter that their next project(s) will have a similar approach to narrative design.

Also:

For those who do not know, shoot statues with yellow eyes. :)

I think it definitely seems to have been influenced by Silent Hill 2. In particular (spoilers for Silent Hill 2 ......

Spoiler

The “In Water” ending. Basically James kills his wife, then kills himself by driving his car into the Lake. The game is set in limbo, where he has to face his sins and what he has done in order to be redeemed.

Seems like there’s 100% a couple of straight up stories in Returnal but they’ve purposefully combined them and added elements to make it more ambiguous, which ends up detracting from them. Still really cool though!

On 18/01/2022 at 20:41, Polmon said:

After talking with a friend about this game, I think that I've managed to completely miss the Rotgland Lobber weapon! 

Honestly, low key one of the most useful weapons in the game. Being able to carry on doing damage while you run away is very useful in quite a few situations

2 hours ago, smac said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ooh which type? 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Ooh which type? 

Look for 

Spoiler

Grey textured with red glows showing through holes in the surface; texture's a bit like honeycomb.

I got into a small, circular area with a nice pickup.

Actually, I think the story is pretty straight forward thinking about it.

My reading of the story, though I might have missed some bits. 100% don’t look if you’ve not fully finished the game!

Spoiler

Selene is involved in a car crash as a little girl. Her mother was driving and suffers severe injuries and loses her unborn child. She blames Selene for ruining her life and her dreams and becomes dependent on her, controlling her and ultimately being abusive towards her. Selene escapes into a fantasy world to cope. She longs to escape her controlling and abusive mother. 

Selene goes on to have a son called Helios. Due to her trauma, she continues the cycle of abuse by neglecting and abusing Helios. Just like his mother he copes by escaping into a fantasy world and longs to get away from her. One night whilst out driving, with Don’t Fear the Reaper playing on the car stereo, Selene sees her damaged self in Helios and thus sees her abusive mother in herself and then crashes into the lake. Selene escapes the car leaving Helios to drown. Selene is heavily traumatised and unable to take responsibility. She once again copes by escaping into a fantasy world. That world is Atropos, which is constructed entirely in Selene’s head and represents Selene’s battle to overcome her trauma and break free from her past. 

We see the real world Selene in important cutscenes. One being when she is starting to heal as she returns to the scene of the crash and back to her house, which both held so many painful memories. We see her grow old there, playing Don’t Fear the Reaper on the piano, which is a constant reminder of her past and the car crash and her actions. We also then see what appears to be her funeral.......but something is still wrong.

On completing Act 3, in the final cutscene of the game, we see Selene confront her mother. She then realises that she had become just like her. She had become the Astronaut. The loop had repeated. On this realisation, we see Selene cause the crash and take responsibility for her actions. We then see her escape from the car and into the light - The White Shadow on the surface of the water. The White Shadow as she passes away into the light. She calls out to Helios her son........Credits roll.

Probably been said a billion times in this thread, but the sound with 3D audio, oh my goodness, it’s just phenomenal. Every little noise is perfect and so detailed. 

I love the soundtrack too, really nice bit of sci-fi techno. 

Ah, man, not fair.

I got to Phrike for a second time...and beat him. it. Them. Whatever. Courtesy of the spaceman.

Then 

Spoiler

as I stepped through the red transporter, ready to see what was on the other side

the *&%@ing game crashed! Restart, and I'm right back at the very beginning. Don't even have the permanent buffs I created.

Maybe I misunderstood - I picked up a data cube-type thing. You drop it into a device after beating the boss - it says something about being available after that.

I'll see what happens on the next run.

On 20/01/2022 at 07:10, Stanley said:

Does anyone use the Hollow Seeker? I find it quite weak but wondered whether it comes alive at higher levels or something. I never pick it up now. 

youre making a terrible mistake. With Portal, Serrated Blades, and Retarget, it slaps. Vanilla it’s quite poor. Amazing for crowd control

retarget allows you to sit behind walls and fire round the corner

16 hours ago, smac said:

Maybe I misunderstood - I picked up a data cube-type thing. You drop it into a device after beating the boss - it says something about being available after that.

I'll see what happens on the next run.

It means that item is now added to the pool of items you can find / buy from that point on. 

2 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

youre making a terrible mistake. With Portal, Serrated Blades, and Retarget, it slaps. Vanilla it’s quite poor. Amazing for crowd control

retarget allows you to sit behind walls and fire round the corner

What’s portal? 

32 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You should start doing the daily challenge runs every now and then. You'll get one with Portal soon enough. It's a turret that spawns and shoots fucking laser beams.

That sounds fucking cool. God I love this game. 

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!