Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

Dynamic 4K, 60 fps and ray-tracing.

More DualSense praise:

https://www.polygon.com/22403679/returnal-ps5-dualsense-controller-haptic-rumble

It’s not a huge thing, but combined with the rest of what Returnal does well, you begin to see the power of console exclusives; Returnal is doing things with the DualSense controller that I’ve never experienced in a game, and it’s yet another indication that the controller may be the best part of the PlayStation 5 hardware.

And Tim Gettys:

"The thing that has blown me away the most, by far, is how insane the haptic feedback in the DualSense is. It is single handedly the most immersive video game experience I've ever had, and I did not expect that from a Housemarque game."

Below is a 30 minute run that makes this look amazing, and which has also completely put me off getting it anywhere near launch.

Here’s a decent player, probably above my skill level, with plenty of unlocked gear, and some decent drops. It takes him 30 minutes to grab that decent gear, find the biome 2 gate, and only get a few minutes into that second of 6 biomes before he is utterly destroyed. And the vast majority of that run time will have garnered him very little in terms of lasting perks for the next run. The thought of doing all that, again and again, with runs to the later biomes likely being multiple hours long at a time.... nope.

10 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Below is a 30 minute run that makes this look amazing, and which has also completely put me off getting it anywhere near launch.

Here’s a decent player, probably above my skill level, with plenty of unlocked gear, and some decent drops. It takes him 30 minutes to grab that decent gear, find the biome 2 gate, and only get a few minutes into that second of 6 biomes before he is utterly destroyed. And the vast majority of that run time will have garnered him very little in terms of lasting perks for the next run. The thought of doing all that, again and again, with runs to the later biomes likely being multiple hours long at a time.... nope.

Sounds amazing. Can't wait

More seriously, I agree that this is clearly tapping into the death/repeat nature of arcade/rogue games. For me it's then a question of how good the moment to moment gameplay is, and whether it will sustain repetition of the content. They are very good at building those games. 

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

That's not how it works.

Also, they had the shortcut to the boss open there, but went the wrong way.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I bet the reviews are glowing, yet watch Eurogamer not give it a recommended. 

If the video team has a say it certainly'll get one unless there's a hell of a sting we don't know about yet.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

That's not how it works.

Which bit? Are you saying the runs through to later biomes can be done much more quickly than implied by that video? I bloody hope so. Cos a multi-hour boss run-back would be bonkers.

46 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Which bit? Are you saying the runs through to later biomes can be done much more quickly than implied by that video? I bloody hope so. Cos a multi-hour boss run-back would be bonkers.

You don't even have to kill bosses more than once. From what I understand you can blast through very quickly, I'm guessing part of the game is judging the balance between getting through at speed and getting the upgrades you need. 

2 hours ago, Hylian said:

More seriously, I agree that this is clearly tapping into the death/repeat nature of arcade/rogue games. For me it's then a question of how good the moment to moment gameplay is, and whether it will sustain repetition of the content. They are very good at building those games. 

Yeah, I really don't mind doing stuff over and over if it's mechanically engaging (and it helps that I fucking love weird sci-fi settings). I really like Hades for example, a game this will no doubt be compared to a lot, but mechanically I didn't find it that great. This is more my thing, with all the added traversal options and little mechanical quirks like Overload and Adrenaline. Same with the level design. Hades basically just has samey rooms, while this has some Metroid elements and secrets and shortcuts and stuff. They will also be compared because they both weave the concept of a roguelite into the narrative. I loved that about Hades, and it's funny how both tap into Greek mythology, but the only downside of it was that it was mostly told through dialogue windows you had to click through, which really killed the pacing. This seems to have more environmental storytelling from what I've seen and read, which I prefer. And I like that it has a leaderboard element.

Despite this fucking pandemic keeping me inside way more than I'd like, I hardly played any games this year, save for some It Takes Two co-op, the Resident Evil demos and Resi 7. This is the one game this year I'm really excited about, which is why I made this thread in the first place. So I really hope it'll hook me the way I think it will, based on the footage and glowing previews. If not, I'll just quit gaming. 

Spoiler

Until Elden Ring is out.

35 minutes ago, Timmo said:

You don't even have to kill bosses more than once. From what I understand you can blast through very quickly

I know the bosses are avoidable on subsequent runs once beaten, what I don’t know is how close to your ship respawn point the gate to biome 2 will appear. Is it random, can you see it from the start on the map or do you have to hunt for it? What I also don’t know is whether you can run through busy rooms, as sometimes areas appear locked down until you clear the room of mobs. And finally, no real idea to what extent more useful shortcuts are available to, for example, avoid running through a randomly generated load of biome 1, then a load of biomes 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, fighting or dodging for tens of minutes at a time, to just have another exploratory crack at the last boss to learn its patterns. Surprised it’s so hard to get a definitive answer to this, embargo or otherwise, in this preorder window.

I'm guessing the reason there isn't a definitive answer to exactly what you have to do in the game in terms of progression, navigation and unlocking is that there are no reviews out yet. There's a review embargo for a reason, and it's not really surprising that the embargo exists in the preorder window. It wouldn't really have any point outside it.

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

I know the bosses are avoidable on subsequent runs once beaten, what I don’t know is how close to your ship respawn point the gate to biome 2 will appear. Is it random, can you see it from the start on the map or do you have to hunt for it? What I also don’t know is whether you can run through busy rooms, as sometimes areas appear locked down until you clear the room of mobs. And finally, no real idea to what extent more useful shortcuts are available to, for example, avoid running through a randomly generated load of biome 1, then a load of biomes 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, fighting or dodging for tens of minutes at a time, to just have another exploratory crack at the last boss to learn its patterns. Surprised it’s so hard to get a definitive answer to this, embargo or otherwise, in this preorder window.

It’s a roguelike. I think there’s a pretty strong possibility you’re going to be playing variations of the same levels over and over again.

6 hours ago, jonamok said:

Again, spoilered in case anyone would rather not know (I recommend going in as blind as possible):

Spoiler

Once you've beaten the boss on biome 1, the shortcut to biome 2 is randomly placed each time. So it might be very near where you start or take a little time to get to. The map always points you in the right direction, and distinguishes between key path doors and optional doors. Most rooms can be run through, but a few lock down and you have to defeat a certain enemy to continue. Once you complete certain objectives in biome 2, you unlock shortcuts so you don't have to do the whole thing again.

I can't say what happens after that, and I wouldn't want to spoil it anyway. But you won't be doing hours long runs to get back to where you last died. 

19 minutes ago, AI said:

How does the procedural generation work in this game? Is it the same rooms just arranged differently every time?

Spoiler

Kind of. It selects from a larger pool of rooms, so the same ones don't appear every time. And fills them with different stuff.

9 hours ago, jonamok said:

They’re obviously not going to design it so people need to do “multi-hour” runs back to the boss. :lol:

36 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

They’re obviously not going to design it so people need to do “multi-hour” runs back to the boss. :lol:

Having read a tweet on Era from someone playing it talking about their ‘2-3 hour’ run, I’m not so sure anymore.

Anyway, I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

I think all that has to be tempered by the fact that most people are on their first run through. It took me 30 runs to finish Hades and at the time I was moaning to pals about how the runs were too long and RNG seemed to play too strong a role. By run 100 I was able to pretty much dictate how a run would play out and was killing the final boss within 20 minutes.

Honestly I think Sony should have got code out earlier, not only because it's a very difficult game but because you presumably need to spend a lot of time in the postgame to see how it matures. Most people will be happy to even finish it in time for the online embargo I think.