IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

2 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Made it to the third boss last night and had a great time in the build up to it, love how the game still manages to feel fresh after so many cycles. Biome 3 initially seemed spooky with robotic calls echoing around its wide halls and ancient statues that seem to scape the sky, but then it suddenly explodes into waves of red mechanical life. Death comes at you from all angles and in all manner of wonderful ways. 

Quick question - please don't tell me the answer if it will become obvious at some point, but 

Hide contents

I went into a room in Bio3 and noticed up on a ledge high up at the back of the room a small figurine of the Spaceman - not the glowing version that gives you an extra life, like a real world stone coloured figurine - I then fought a giant robot machine, the guy who tries to pull you towards it (great fun). Once the battle was over the spaceman figurine was no longer there.

Should I have done something with it, does it have a meaning or does it just pop up randomly as a reminder of the spaceman haunting you?

To answer your question, I'd say it's the latter.

Also, can't wait to see what Housemarque does next. 

I'm not sure all acquisitions are always good, but Housemarque getting platform holder money and the certainty that can bring strikes me as a good thing for everyone. If they're given the time and money to make more stuff like Returnal, then fucking brilliant.

I suspect Housemarque could make an amazing VR arcade game. No idea if that's something they're interested in doing, but if I was a platform holder about to release a new headset it's certainly an avenue I'd suggest they explore.

2 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I suspect Housemarque could make an amazing VR arcade game. No idea if that's something they're interested in doing, but if I was a platform holder about to release a new headset it's certainly an avenue I'd suggest they explore.

Only if you want your retinas to burn out in a blaze of glory.

I've just finished act 3. This game is a masterpiece, one of my very favourites that I've ever played.

Spoiler

I'm fucked if it makes any sense, though. So, she killed her son, but she was simultaneously the driver of the car and the astronaut in the middle of the road? And something else to do with her mother? I get that her mum was the one that was actually training to be an astronaut, but past that I've not a clue. I've been plugging away at it for 6 weeks, so I've likely forgotten quite a lot from the early house sections, but I'm really struggling to piece everything together. Anyone else got any ideas, or is it supposed to be this ambiguous?

Basically I feel the same as you, even though I have a few more pieces of the puzzle - but there's not much point speculating until seeing the final ending (which I haven't yet). Now you need to go back through the game and do bits and bobs to unlock more lore tidbits!

I honestly think there's not much you want to be told, and that mostly you'll want to figure it out by playing. But if I had one tip, it would be

Spoiler

Health recovery items turn into health bar extending items if you pick them up at full health.

But really, all you want to do is play. It's not a game that's got lots of mechanics and systems, but it is a game that rewards comprehension.

I think it can seem pretty complicated before you play it. There are 10s of items, artifacts, consumables, weapon perks, etc., and it can seem overwhelming just dipping into this thread and seeing lots of those being referenced. But actually, the core mechanics are straightforward and you can ignore a lot of the other stuff or just figure it out as you go. For example, there are several weapon perks where I'm not sure what exactly they do but they're on weapons that I don't like much anyway so I'm not bothered.

Yeah half the fun of Returnal is learning its systems and its dripfeed of mechanics which you gradually master. Get stuck in, die and return. One tip I do have is that if you accidentally miss a tutorial, forget or ignore it, you can press Options button and in the pause menu there is a section called tutorials where you can catch up on some of the mechanics with handy video examples, it automatically adds new ones as you unlock them so you cant be accidentally spoiled.

On 29/06/2021 at 00:31, Rog said:

Thanks, that’s what I’ve read. Can’t understand why I didn’t find anything today in the first three areas tho. I’ll see what happens in the second half I guess.

Have you visited the house since finishing? Perhaps on B4? I think it should be 'dark' before the fragments appear.

11 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

I've just finished act 3. This game is a masterpiece, one of my very favourites that I've ever played.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm fucked if it makes any sense, though. So, she killed her son, but she was simultaneously the driver of the car and the astronaut in the middle of the road? And something else to do with her mother? I get that her mum was the one that was actually training to be an astronaut, but past that I've not a clue. I've been plugging away at it for 6 weeks, so I've likely forgotten quite a lot from the early house sections, but I'm really struggling to piece everything together. Anyone else got any ideas, or is it supposed to be this ambiguous?

Story:

Spoiler

I don't think she killed her son. :)
But no, the game remains ambiguous to the very end. Second ending included. There's some interesting story discussion on Reddit and ResetERA, but don't expect many clear answers. 

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Story:

Hide contents

I don't think she killed her son. :)
But no, the game remains ambiguous to the very end. Second ending included. There's some interesting story discussion on Reddit and ResetERA, but don't expect many clear answers. 

Spoiler

I figured as much. I went on Wikipedia to see if I had misinterpreted something, and I looked through all the scout logs, bar the 4 I'm missing, and there doesn't seem to be anything definitive there.

I think I'm going to be living with this for a good while yet.

Now that Housemarque is a Sony studio with a bigger team and budget for their next game, I wouldn't mind a Returnal 2 that isn't a roguelite, but a game with From Software-esque level design on Atropos.

12 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Have you visited the house since finishing? Perhaps on B4? I think it should be 'dark' before the fragments appear.

Spoiler

Yes thanks, the house was closed for the first 3 biomes after my first completion but I’ve now found a sun fragment in the overgrown ruins and could visit the again for more octo action.

Well apparently 1 Day 10 Hours 33 minutes and 14 seconds later I have beat Biome 3.

75 deaths and only had to kill 4.290 lifeforms to get there.

Some of the new weapons are interesting . Onwards and upwards.

10 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

That's odd. I wonder if its an Easter egg or a bug, I take it nothing happens when you shoot it? Maybe there are others hidden around that we've yet to spot. I assume there's no way to get up there?

I tried shooting it but nothing happens. There is no way to get up there and when you approach it a mini-boss appears (at least it has for me each time, got the big robot dude first then this time it was the block head squid). 

I spent a few hours on this this afternoon in a post-vaccine fug, which probably wasn't the best way to play. I died twice, once after getting battered by some big...thing and once after falling down a hole, but then got as far as the 

Spoiler

Crimson Wastes after beating the boss first time (just barely, however).

I'm enjoying it a lot so far! Unsurprisingly, the feel of it is a lot like Nex Machina but with AAA sensibilities. Big Metroid Prime vibes, too. I'm finding the story and the mystery of it all suitably intriguing. I just wish Seline would shut up and stop narrating every single thought that goes through her mind. I haven't experienced the sense of defeat that comes from having to start over from the beginning yet, however. I expect that's going to smart big time when it happens because the runs last for such a long time.

Anyway, initial impressions are very strong. You know it's a good sign when you get the pop up on the TV saying it's going to turn off in five minutes because you haven't touched the remote in so long ^_^

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!