IGNORED

Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!

Vemsie

40 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I'm still trying for the Platinum - I've been dreaming about finding glyphs in rooms. 3 to go (1 in Biome 2 and 2 in Biome 6)!

I've got about 5 to go in Biome 2. I must have run that a dozen times at least and explored everywhere. Some of these seem ridiculously rare. 

I watched a YT video and I'm missing the 4 rare ones and possibly one other. I definitely haven't even been in those rare rooms in Biome 2. I'm collecting missing datacubes at the moment, but I suspect I'll move on and wait for dlc before finishing the glyphs. Looks like an exercise in frustration. 

I'm down to 1 left in B3 and 4 left in B6, which I haven't played that much compared to the others.

I've only been dipping in now and again because I haven't had time for it, but hopefully will get there eventually. There is something disheartening about having just 1 left on a biome, though, realising you have to search the whole thing potentially a number of times looking for a single, very specific thing.

Pretty sure there is/was a B2 glyph glitch that would leave you on 19/20 even if you’d collected them all.

I have 19/20 after an absurd number of hours on those ruby sands. As well as a couple in B3 that won’t drop either. Either way I have given up on the plat

Love the game, but it’s still not fixed.

10 hours ago, jonamok said:

Pretty sure there is/was a B2 glyph glitch that would leave you on 19/20 even if you’d collected them all.

I have 19/20 after an absurd number of hours on those ruby sands. As well as a couple in B3 that won’t drop either. Either way I have given up on the plat

Yup, same here. Not touching it until the next patch. (If any?)

18 hours ago, jonamok said:

They fixed those issues. I think it genuinely is that rare. I was sure mine must have been glitched, after so many runs, and posted in here complaining about it, but then it eventually showed up.

I mean, they should definitely patch it further so that this isn't the case, because nothing else is so grind-y, but it's not a bug as such.

After struggling for weeks and nearly giving up, I got to Nemesis' third stage last night before succumbing. I'd lost my astronaut figurine fighting that fucking robot just before Nemesis, so it has given me renewed vigour to keep going. If I can get to Nemesis with an astronaut and my ridiculously long integrity line, I should be able to do it.

This game has drilled itself so far into my brain I'm noting things in the real world that can help me. Like, I got up in the night to let the dog out for a pee, and my eye caught the green LED on my router and my brain went "Silphium! - get it". 

Onto biome six now, and the difficulty is not letting up. At least five is done. Tried a run just now and died before even getting back to biome six. Again. When I woke up at the crash site there were two resins there; never seen that before. Has the game started giving me pity resins because I'm struggling so much? :lol:

I'm almost getting patronising Mario vibes: "aww, can't you do the level, wee man? Here's a golden tanooki suit just for you." 😆

Perhaps if you're really struggling then the freebies start meaningfully piling up but on the couple of occasions that I died in quick enough succession to trigger those things, it almost seemed like the game taking the piss. What it gave me clearly wasn't going to be enough to make any serious difference to my next run - it was like being given the pink bow from Ninja Gaiden, except it doesn't do anything.

Is it just me or is Returnal suffering from a lot more slowdown from Biome 4 onwards? It’s almost never 60fps for me apart from when I’m looking around an empty room. 

Edit: Looks like a bit of work with some canned air and a full restart has worked wonders

Aaaaaand, as alluded to above, I am on to Biome 4 after literally weeks of trying. I never doubted myself. Nope. 

8 hours ago, superfunk said:

Is it just me or is Returnal suffering from a lot more slowdown from Biome 4 onwards? It’s almost never 60fps for me apart from when I’m looking around an empty room. 

Edit: Looks like a bit of work with some canned air and a full restart has worked wonders

Aaaaaand, as alluded to above, I am on to Biome 4 after literally weeks of trying. I never doubted myself. Nope. 

The game can definitely run into issues, particularly in Biome 5 I've found. Framerate can tank and it can be persistent until a restart. I seemed to notice it before when using the electroplyon driver. 

On 09/08/2021 at 19:41, Hylian said:

The game can definitely run into issues, particularly in Biome 5 I've found. Framerate can tank and it can be persistent until a restart. I seemed to notice it before when using the electroplyon driver. 

I had issues a couple of times with enemies, particularly ones spawned avenging people, falling under the world. That absolutely murdered the framerate. There haven't been any patches since, as far as I'm aware, so perhaps the same happened to you (but off screen, so you didn't notice).

Woohoo, finished it! By which I mean I've seen the credits.

Spoiler

On the search for sun mask fragments now. Found the ones in biomes 1, 2 and 3 in a single run. Was I lucky in having the rooms containing the fragments spawn at the first time of asking? Or do those particular rooms spawn every time once you've killed the boss of biome six, and have access to the thing in the ship that you use to swap between the sets of biomes?

Also have a wodge of ciphers still to find, 8 datacubes, and a load of weapon traits to still unlock and upgrade.

This game is going to keep me busy for a while yet!

1 hour ago, Welrain said:

I’m struggling to get the motivation with this..it’s not so much the game itself but the not knowing if I’m in for a 30 min run or a 2 hr run each time makes it hard to plan my time, the lack of midrun saves is frustrating.

Yep that’s why I still haven’t bought it, not being able to save wouldn’t work for me.

2 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Yep that’s why I still haven’t bought it, not being able to save wouldn’t work for me.

You probably know but Quick Resume works well as long as you don't play other games inbetween and you turn off automatic updates. Not ideal, I know, but you can save.

10 minutes ago, Timmo said:

You probably know but Quick Resume works well as long as you don't play other games inbetween and you turn off automatic updates. Not ideal, I know, but you can save.

Yep sure but I like to cycle round a few games and don’t like to leave consoles on overnight or unnecessarily. It’s just seems such a weird design decision, it’s as if they didn’t anticipate each session being so long.

Friends, I see you guys kept this thread going. Close to 100 pages now, never guessed it would go that far when I started it.
Took a break from the forum because I was overworked and coping with some health issues, but I did manage to beat the RNG and get the plat. :)
Last one I needed was the 

Spoiler

water one in B3

Some other Returnal stuff that popped up in recent times:
A video on how Returnal and Hades change gaming, with Spelunky creator Derek Yu and Returnal director Harry Krueger.

A psychoanalytic take on Returnal:
https://withaterriblefate.com/2021/07/19/game-as-mind-a-psychoanalytic-explanation-of-returnal/

Praise for Selene:
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/selene-vassos-from-returnal-is-a-modern-sci-fi-horror-icon/

Sales figures:
We now know Returnal sold close to 600K up until July, which Sony seems to be happy with. They said it performed above expectations in their latest financial report.

Greg Kasavin, creative director on Hades, said Returnal is one of his favourite games of the year.
https://www.comingsoon.net/games/news/1190327-hades-creative-director-returnal-favorite-games-2021?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Up next: DLC! (I hope)

On 21/07/2021 at 00:20, HarryBizzle said:

Another Q:

Reveal hidden contents

Am I right in thinking the only way to access B1-3 again is to complete the game?

Very late to the party so this might be old news to you, but:

Spoiler

you can use the device in the ship in B4 to reset the loop and start in B1 again.

Credits rolling. Was surprised at how well that run went. Absolutely breezed through it.

I have no idea what the story was about…

Spoiler

I imagine I’ll be dipping in and out of this for a while to come.

Total suit usage: 23hrs 38mins

Deaths: 23

Areas explored: 268

Hostiles eliminated: 2,865

Max adrenaline reached: 52

Successful overloads: 806

Malfunctions: 117

Parasites: 58

• Vemsie changed the title to Returnal - RLLMUK and BAFTA GOTY 2021 - Free Ascension DLC out now!