Will Nintendo release a Switch Pro next year?

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Well let’s face it, the iteration of the Switch they have released was objectively worse than the original and sold like hot cakes, so you wonder what the compelling reason would be to sell an improved one.

The DSLite sold like hotcakes in comparison to the DSi, and the latter still sold 41 million units. They seem to sell improved models with more power as a business-led 'model refresh' approach, and I think Nintendo being adamant that the Switch also serves as a home console would make it only more likely, not less, as other home consoles and their ports continue to get more powerful and increase general demand. 

The Switch Lite is kinda like the 2DS of the Switch - worse but popular, and of course an inadequate replacement for the delicious 'New' 3DS. 

I'm not hankering after a beefier Switch but I hereby deem it LIKELY.

flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg

Although Nintendo have always iterated in their portable consoles, they've never done so for their home consoles: the NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii and Wii U never had Pro versions, or any other version. It's difficult to tell with the Switch because it exists in this weird space between home and portable console, although the fact that they've iterated on it once already with the Lite suggests they might do it again.

Or they could just go straight onto the Switch's successor, whether it's Switch 2 or something else.

Agreed, it being a home console too is what tips the balance more toward the case of it not being iterated on, funnily enough, so perhaps I shouldn't be so bold to say it being a home console makes it more likely that it will be. I'd guess the two opposing forces (the one in favour being the one I mentioned) probably cancel each other out. As soon as the Lite iteration was announced it suggested they're applying the same model to this as they did with their handheld divison. Which makes sense given that all of Nintendo's guaranteed upgrade revenue would otherwise be gone. 

Tangential prediction: the dock is less likely to change than the console. 

(NB @Jamie John The NES, SNES and Wii got newer, smaller versions). 

No console manufacturer made Pro versions of home consoles until PS4 Pro & Xbox One X, and given that Nintendo have always delivered ungraded versions of their handhelds I’d say that combination suggests they will at some point upgrade the Switch too. 

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The One S actually delivers improved performance over the base model and adds 4k UHD movie playback, what makes you say it’s a downgrade? 

Over the X. Or the Series S over the X. Or the S Digital over the S or X. Take your pick.

Just now, deKay said:

Over the X. Or the Series S over the X. Or the S Digital over the X. Take your pick.

The Xbox One X didn’t come out for another 12 months after the S which at the time was an upgrade in terms of power and functionality, nothing like the Wii Mini you were comparing it to.

Pretending the launch day black WiiU Premium Edition that comes with some extra storage and more accessories is relevant to the subject of latter iterations has really dekay'd an otherwise good post. 

"But in some regions it came with a Pro Controller. Pro controller."

8 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Pretending the launch day black WiiU Premium Edition that comes with some extra storage and more accessories is relevant to the subject of latter iterations has really dekay'd an otherwise good post. 

It was a stretch but I had to complete the set.

5 hours ago, sandman said:

THERE WILL NOT BE A SWITCH PRO. EVER.

I’ve no idea where this stupid fucking idea came from in the first place. Nobody outside of the serious gamer community has even thought that the switch needs an upgrade. 

In year 4 of the switch’s life it sold more than the N64 sold in its ENTIRETY. Who at Nintendo is thinking “Fuck!  We need a switch pro lads, this think is not making any money at all”. Nobody, that’s who. 

From either historical precedent, Game Boy to Game Boy Color, DS to DSi, 3DS to n3DS, or this news article:

The specifications of the new machine have yet to be finalized, though the Kyoto-based company has looked into including more computing power and 4K high-definition graphics, people briefed on the strategy told Bloomberg News, asking not to be identified because it’s private.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-25/nintendo-plans-upgraded-switch-console-and-major-games-for-2021

The journalist has sauce and a decent track record.

Also, this report on what developers have been told to do going forward:

The introduction of a more affordable Switch Lite variant in late 2019 helped broaden the machine’s potential audience and Nintendo is making preparations for an upgraded Switch model and a beefed-up games lineup for 2021, Bloomberg News has reported. Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-09/nintendo-said-to-boost-switch-production-by-another-20

It's when, not if at this point.

The quote from Bloomberg referring to the Switch Lite as being a “more affordable” system that “helped broaden the machine’s potential audience” does underline the one issue with any potential Switch Pro - who is it for and how does it fit into a sales strategy that’s main focus should be on finding ways of growing Switch sales to people who haven’t yet bought in?

It could certainly generate some excitement, but I’m not sure it’s viable in the long term. 

Same as Apple or Samsung iterations, raising ASP. 4K TVs are now mainstream, so if they are pushing the 4K angle (as stated), they are joining everybody else in offering an option for that. Might even finally support Netflix (depends who does the paying on those media app deals).

They have always done this and always will.

the tech is there , Tegra 2 or whatever. the cross gen games need a more powerful machine to help keep up and keep dev costs sensible.

Chuck it out there with 4 shells : purple gc, SNES, n64 , wii

It would sell like hot cakes.

Or a handheld (with HDMI-out) for £250, with a GPU dock for another £150, copying Microsoft's approach for the best of both worlds. The first current-gen Nintendo since the Cube, targeting 1080/60 on handheld, and 1440/60 with DLSS and light RT docked.