Dungeons & Dragons (2021)

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I'd rather that than the utter toe-curlingly awful opposite paradigm of "The fantasy people get sucked into our world". Fucking awful just about everytime.

Gimblethorn the engineer dwarf discovers automobiles, hilarity ensues.

Litherqwixx the fey, elf archer stumbles into a gun store and buys an M16, hilarity ensues.

No, I agree totally. Masters of the Universe being the nadir of that format. But I think it's the most likely from a Hollywood scriptwriter because all they're thinking of is how a general audience can connect to this kerazzzy world.

I'm not sure how the Critical Role thing would work in a film though, either.

Personally I think the Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance or the Drizz't stuff would work if done with a reasonable amount of seriousness. The Witcher has shown that an anti-hero can work, so Drizz't or Raistlin Majere could work for TV or streaming. I think the whole Cameron and Raistlin stuff has some actual dramatic bones that would appeal outside of the fantasy genre, myself. But for TV. 

Incidentally, I'm sort of fascinated by this topic for a few reasons.

One of which is all these thousands of books, Dragon magazines, articles, D&D modules, games systems, art - tons and tons of lore representing the man-hours and creative imagination of thousands of people can just be....sort of forgotten. In the early nineties the fantasy aisle in my local bookshop was largely full of Dragonlance spin-off books, not to mention TSR stuff generally and then....gone. Not to say much of it was high art, but still. It amazes me that a generation like mine (45 last week) hasn't spawned more scriptwriters who've delved back into that stuff to find something fresh.

The World of The Petal Throne alone is fascinating - offputting, strange, complex and deeply unfashionable.

Or the original Dark Sun, where some TSR loony let a bondage fetishist design the look of a world (which I really feel the LoTR films nicked a lot of for the look of Sauron and minions). The modern version looks as bland as fuck.

And I still can't quite believe Spelljammer ever existed. 

3 hours ago, JamesC said:

The idea of showing the gamers affecting the D&D world makes me think of Clash of the Titans, with the human players taking the place of the gods. Not that that's necessarily a  bad thing. 

It's always such a cool visual. Kinda happened in The Lego movie.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Masters of the Universe being the nadir of that format.

You've absolutely plucked the main example I was thinking of out of my head. Even as a seven year old I was kind of disappointed with the choice. It's a pity because Frank Langella completely bosses every scene with his amazing Skeletor who deserves a much better film around him. I still love watching that gloriously overwrought transformation speech he does to this day.

God I loved the Dragonlance books when I was about 12. Read so many of them. Even then I realised the spin offs were rarely any good. I suspect they’d not live up to the rose tinted spectacles. I remember them as being terribly earnest. Sturm and his stoic love for...can’t remember. Seemed to be a lot of angst going on. 

Raistlin was a great character though.

1 hour ago, El Geet said:

God I loved the Dragonlance books when I was about 12. Read so many of them. Even then I realised the spin offs were rarely any good. I suspect they’d not live up to the rose tinted spectacles. I remember them as being terribly earnest. Sturm and his stoic love for...can’t remember. Seemed to be a lot of angst going on. 

Raistlin was a great character though.

The second trilogy was pretty good, focused on the brothers, but boy was it long-winded.

On 16/12/2020 at 15:13, Festoon said:

No, I agree totally. Masters of the Universe being the nadir of that format. But I think it's the most likely from a Hollywood scriptwriter because all they're thinking of is how a general audience can connect to this kerazzzy world.

In fairness, this approach is often foisted on the writers by producers who do the maths and realise it’s much cheaper to shoot a movie in the streets of LA than on the wide fantasy vistas of Eternia. 

21 hours ago, Festoon said:

The second trilogy was pretty good, focused on the brothers, but boy was it long-winded.

Longwinded? They are quite short for a fantasy trilogy.

I adored the chronicles series as a kid and would kill for a decent adaption, the base plot is generic fantasy but the characters are great, Raistlin is an anti hero that could really have mainstream appeal. Sure they’d need some updating but that hardly seems impossible.

As a side note would love to see someone pick up Weis’s Star Wars inspired series, Star of the Guardians (with the blood fed light sabers).

Oh and Weis and Hickman’s best series The Deathgate Cycle would make a great big budget HBO or Netflix show.

I think the film needs to be titled "Dungeons and dragons: the Village of Hommlet" own its nerdy past and just appeal to all the 1970s original AD&D players first steps into the game.  That scenario made me a life long fan.   

image.png.e727b5a60b21616339bf672890cfdf89.png

I'm going to suggest the exact opposite approach, that they should just do something fun like Guardians of the Galaxy, but fantasy, as that would actually capture the feel of players at the table goofing around while telling an epic story far better than dumping ~realmslore~ on the screen and expecting audiences to care.

17 hours ago, Valver said:

I think the film needs to be titled "Dungeons and dragons: the Village of Hommlet" own its nerdy past and just appeal to all the 1970s original AD&D players first steps into the game.  That scenario made me a life long fan.   

image.png.e727b5a60b21616339bf672890cfdf89.png

God that brings back memories!

I’m in for the T1 film. 

There then has to be rumours of a sequel. It has to have the most incredibly evocative name to contrast with The Village of Hommlet.  I dunno call it something like: “The Temple of Elemental Evil”.  Yeah that will do. 

Then wait years and years before it comes out.  When it does it turns out to be a long winded trilogy only loosely based on the original idea and a bit of slog.

• 1 month later...
On 18/12/2020 at 22:58, dreamylittledream said:

Longwinded? They are quite short for a fantasy trilogy.

I adored the chronicles series as a kid and would kill for a decent adaption, the base plot is generic fantasy but the characters are great, Raistlin is an anti hero that could really have mainstream appeal. Sure they’d need some updating but that hardly seems impossible.

As a side note would love to see someone pick up Weis’s Star Wars inspired series, Star of the Guardians (with the blood fed light sabers).

Oh and Weis and Hickman’s best series The Deathgate Cycle would make a great big budget HBO or Netflix show.

I was going to mention the Deathgate Cycle, which I loved as a teenager.

While I agree that something Dragonlance would be nice to see, for me Planescape is the more interesting setting.

The old school d&d monsters like the beholder and mind flayer haven't really had a faithful interpretation in a film have they? They are great monsters that it would be cool to see what could be done with, in a epic fantasy film.

Actually I was just wondering recently - is there a name for the sort of "default" D&D campaign world - the one where beholders and mind flayers are likely to turn up if you go poking around in dark holes in the ground? And there's no spacefaring sailing ships and it isn't overly gothic/dark fantasy? And the gods haven't forsaken men and there are no Draconians?

I guess it would be the place where the D&D cartoon was set (The Realm) - but this isn't necessarily the same as the Forgotten Realms, right? (or is the Realm one of the Forgotten Realms?)

Are all the different D&D settings (The Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Spelljammer etc) supposed to be, in canon, part of a shared multiverse?

Is there one in particular that is considered the generic / default setting?

4e didn’t have a default setting, it had a framework called “Points of Light”. D&D lore does have a multiverse and sometimes they cross over. Earth is also part of the multiverse, wizards are always popping over. The final 2e adventure Die Vecna Die crossed between Greyhawk, Ravenloft and Planescape. Sometimes things canonically sit in the same multiverse, like Eberron, but the default assumption is that Eberron is magically sealed off and no travel or communication is possible with the rest of the multiverse. Ravenloft also deliberately restricts being able to escape the domains of dread. Planar travel is a feature of a lot of campaigns so at the end of the day it’s up to you as DM what brings you joy. 

I sometimes find 1d4chan useful when I need a tongue in cheek explanation of some of the settings. 

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Greyhawk

• 2 weeks later...