[PC] Which games have been greatly improved by mods?

Hi there,

which PC games are worth playing because of mods? Vampire: The Masquerade has been greatly improved by the fan mods. I believe there is a fan mod for Gothic 1 as well that improves the game quite a lot. Then there is Skyrim and the Fallout series.

I wish Anachronox would have gotten one :( It's a fantastic game.

Any other PC games that greatly benefited from mods? I.e. making them less buggy, improving controls etc.

E.g. Vampire with the Unofficial Patch:

Not PC, but Castlevania Circle of the Moon on Gameboy Advance has a patch that makes the DSS cards discoverable items on the map instead of being rare drops. It transforms the game because there are 64 possible skills and the cards are so rare that you usually play through the game without finding most of them.  Lots of discussion in the thread in retro on this.

Definitely Assetto Corsa.

Some magician called Ilja has made an inproved stand-alone UI which adds all kinds of performance enhancing settings. He's single-handedly added time of day and dynamic weather as well whilst AC's developer insisted that it couldn't be done in the engine, but he promptly proved them wrong.

Plus all the car, track and apps add-ons that other members of the community have made for it, makes it one of the (if not, the) best racing sims out there.

Shenmue 3 has a PC mod that removes the need to eat so you don't find yourself slowly walking to the food only to eat and run back to where you were. That's a gameplay mechanism that really spoiled the game for me and I'd much prefer to play the game without that.

13 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Shenmue 3 has a PC mod that removes the need to eat so you don't find yourself slowly walking to the food only to eat and run back to where you were. That's a gameplay mechanism that really spoiled the game for me and I'd much prefer to play the game without that.

Oh yeah, that is a big one. Thanks. I didn't like Shenmue 3 at all despite loving 1 and 2 but might actually play 3 again with the mod.

Some of the VR- adding mods are amazing.   The MotherVR mod for Alien Isolation springs to mind.  Its brilliant.

And back in the day, the thing that got me hooked on PC gaming were the mods for Doom and later Quake.  Both modded to crazy levels.  Team Fortress on Quake (1) changed my life!

Counter Strike for Half Life spawned a whole genre on its own!

FAR mod for Nier: Automata.

Basically, Automata had a global illumination setting locked to the engine that made everything outside of the best graphics cards drop frames constantly, and you couldn't adjust it without basically turning off every shadow detail in the game.

FAR enabled people to adjust the amount of global lighting and the shadow quality in real time, along with presets. It also enabled a true Borderless fullscreen mode that stepped around the render resolution issues the game had.

If you bought Automata, you were installing FAR if you didn't have a 2080ti or whatever the fuck it was at the time. It was that essential to actually playing the game at an enjoyable framerate.

There are loads: STALKER, Sim City 4, Cities Skylines, Witcher 3, Football Manager (gotta have those badges and facepacks!), EU IV, Hearts of Iron IV, Crusader Kings...

I know it's easy to fall down a rabbit hole with mods, but there are many games that either change things up massively and provide so much more longevity (i.e. the Paradox strategy titles) or just fix issues/provide essential QoL features (STALKER, Witcher 3).

Even better is that, these days, a lot of games make modding easy so it can be a case of just dropping a file into a folder (obviously not Bethesda titles, mind). I love mods :)

I really love some of the overhaul mods people have made for the Souls games.

Like Daughters of Ash - which I recently played though - which changes the game pretty significantly in terms of order you go through it and even makes up its own lore/story using the same characters and voice lines, it's really great!  

There's a decent one for Souls 3 called Cinders too, which I'm yet to play. 

STALKER: Complete is probably the biggest win I can remember- it turned a very clunky experience into a truly great game.

But Fallout: New Vegas probably takes the money for me. I managed to dial in exactly the experience I was wanting to have, with a slower day-night cycle tied to the two hour play sessions I liked to do, faster hunger, thirst and fatigue increases, etc etc. Absolutely terrific.

4 hours ago, Meers said:

Definitely Assetto Corsa.

Some magician called Ilja has made an inproved stand-alone UI which adds all kinds of performance enhancing settings. He's single-handedly added time of day and dynamic weather as well whilst AC's developer insisted that it couldn't be done in the engine, but he promptly proved them wrong.

Plus all the car, track and apps add-ons that other members of the community have made for it, makes it one of the (if not, the) best racing sims out there.

1000x this.  Ilja's custom shaders patch mod is amazing and combined with Sol it completely transforms the game.  Sol is bonkers; it simulates the entire solar system, so if you set the game to a time/date where there was a solar eclipse in the location of a track it'll actually happen :ph34r:

The Grand Prix Legends (1967 F1), AC Legends (GT Legends mod) and the VRC historic F1 mods are all as good as any cars in the game and some of the mod tracks are insanely good.

14 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Sol is bonkers; it simulates the entire solar system, so if you set the game to a time/date where there was a solar eclipse in the location of a track it'll actually happen :ph34r:

It's mind blowing. He didn't really have to add that per se, but he did.

Again, I love how Kunos got pushed by the community to implement weather and time of day in AC, but they stated the engine wouldn't allow for that*. Cue Ilja releasing the Sol add on as a bombshell. Would have loved to see the look on the faces at Kunos. :lol:

They more than redeemed themselves with ACC, though. ;)

*I think they didn't have the resources so they couldn't be bothered with it.