IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Doctor Shark

Well that was pretty good. Not what I expected overall, maybe my favourite bit was.

Spoiler

When Grogu jumped up to give Mando a hug. I welled up!

It's interesting he spent a while trying to get Grogu back to his own people/gave him up to a Jedi and now they're basically together.

The end in the ship was great too. Grogu plays to everyone who's had a kid, he reminds me of my daughter / how little ones act. You can see why Mando has such a bond with him. And he also hasn't had to go through two years of changing nappies before that point!

That looked like it had a bit of a budget! 

Spoiler

I was really hoping Cobb wasn’t dead. The villagers even seemed to think he was. But a bit of Bacta will see him right. Not sure who that was with him though.

Grogu lying down beside the Rancor for a nap  :lol:

That was great, but a few aspects of the battle just kept taking me out of it. I was constantly asking myself, why are you doing that...

Spoiler

People just waltzing down the street getting picked off half the time. Chewblacca doesn't have armour, so don't stand in the middle of EVREYTHING until enough shots put you down and then you run. Plus, stop wasting time shooting the impenetrable shields of the Hulk buster droidekars, and just clear the soldiers first then work out what to do. THEN when their shields did get taken out, where's the hail of gunfire on them then from everyone who finally decided to take cover.

Yes, the mod biker guys are fucking terrible, I genuinely hated them, rather than it being some silly shoot out choices for the script.

Well, it had its moments but, overall, it was a pretty limp ending to a pretty limp series. 

Those fucking mods are terrible. The main lady is a poor actress with a terrible English accent. 

Fennec Shand proves once again to be far more deadly than Boba. 

I'd be interested to know how they did the fx for the rancor; I assume it was cg but done in such a way as to feel very reminiscent of practical fx. Especially when he was up top, they either did something with the lighting or deliberately left in some outlining that felt like the artifacts you'd get with the old stuff.

Also, bit disappointed the epilogue didnt feature boba shouting offscreen across an empty hallway of the palace, complaining that someone had left a load of fur in his plughole again.

Spoiler

This finale is a confused and unsatisfying mess.

Have got to the big shootout and it's just a procession of people coming around the corner, literally "entering stage left" while shooting bad guys.

Spoiler

Okay it picked up a bit when the Rancor turned up. But I tell you what I really hated (apart from the fucking Mods obviously):

Grogu having his big reunion with Mando moment being completely swallowed up by happening during a noisy and distracting action sequence. No time for feelings here, just *bam*, all the build up from the last two episodes squandered.

I think on reflection I found that really disappointing. Especially after the last two episodes.

Simple things, like quality of shot composition even, were significantly lacking compared to them.

That was pretty dire.

Whoever crafted that battle sequence seemingly have never seen a firefight on screen (or played a computer game) since the early 1980s when the A-Team was the peak of entertainment.

Another weak aspect:

Spoiler

The two exchanges between Bane and Fett could have been so much better if they had actually established an antagonism between the two characters from the start. If they knew they were bringing Cad Bane back they could easily have used that to set up a distinct villain for the whole series.

For those of us who do know the character, it would have felt a lot more organic and have been more satisfying, and for those that don't know who he is, when Fett and Bane are having their battle at the end it would at least give it more dramatic heft if you've been following Bane for a few episodes instead of him just being airdropped in.

4 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

There was lots of bollocks but it was good fun. I chuckled at Chewblakka's running again (they seem to have used the same footage of him and all the NPCs fleeing down the same street twice) and all the repainted Dart Zone toy guns with big ammo drums.

I’m with you on being entertained, despite the obvious flaws!

Spoiler

Big robots with impenetrable shields that are DEATH ON LEGS - except when you need to run away from them down an empty street, then they can’t shoot for toffee.

Pet Rancor gone a bit rogue? Hey, let’s shoot at it with our pop guns, because that was soooo effective when the aforementioned battle droids with laser bazookas were tickling it. Nobody get Boba or anything.

I thought the final showdown with Cad Bane was going terribly, just confirming what everyone’s been saying about what a wet blanket Boba’s become. Then he does “Accio Gaffi stick” and whups ass, improving matters.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Fennec Shand proves once again to be far more deadly than Boba. 

This is so true :lol:

Overall I loved the series. I would say that I had the most issues with this episode of all of them for many of the reasons mentioned elsewhere in the topic but I'm not one to dwell on them when it comes to Star Wars (we've all been through too much).

I enjoyed the music at the end, at first I thought I was imagining the change in chanting.

Fennec Shand must have had the combined powers of Invisible Woman, Shadowcat and Nightcrawler at the end there. That sequence was ridiculously unbelievable (but gets a pass because it was more believable than the battles elsewhere).

7 minutes ago, Flams said:

I enjoyed the music at the end, at first I thought I was imagining the change in chanting.

I noticed that too, and thought I must’ve somehow missed the Bobas in amongst all the humm dumming all the way along! :lol:

BO BO-BO BO BO-BO BO BOBAA FETTTT

Robert Rodriguez cannot direct action in the Star Wars Universe. Bits of that were good but most of it was just very very boring action shot and cut really badly. Definitely had some fun in there once you know who turned up but it's all just so slow and uninteresting. Absolutely bizarre he was given so much of this to direct. 

The Mods are my least favourite thing in all of star wars - every aspect of them is terrible, the awful accent, the stupid slow bikes, the clean h&m outfits.

They where utterly useless too - they should have worked together with the Freetown folk to take down the second shield droid rather than just have boba repeat the same move.

They could at least used thier mods or some cunning knowledge of the town (lure it into a street with over head power cables and shoot them down to over load the shield?) So mando and baby yoda could take it out. Instead they did nothing.