IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Doctor Shark

If this wasn’t Star Wars no one would be remotely interested in watching it. All it has is nice costumes (Mods aside obviously), sets, effects and generally good production design.

Every other aspect is completely woeful and it barely makes sense. It’s pure nostalgia button pushing and nothing more.

I can’t get over how terrible the script, narrative, pacing, characterisation, action choreography or even basic plot

logic is.

TBF I also thought the Mandalorian was mostly as bad but it had a couple of ok episodes and was at least carried by Pedro P.

I'm on team pleased, worked for me.

Spoiler

I did laugh at Pyke casualties versus Boba's forces, the (seemingly) endless Pykes were slaughtered! The Mods are still ridiculous as well.

Loved the giant attack droids (new to canon, Scorpadroids or something, but obviously a bigger revision of the old Droidekas) and the Rancor stuff was great.

I also hope Bane survives, it was such a quick death! I really thought Fett was going to let him live though so that was a "nice" surprise as was Shand killing all of the crime bosses, the mayor and the remaining Pykes just to send a message.

I’m in the disappointed gang. It had lots of good moments but it was less than the sum of its parts.

Spoiler

So Mando spent two series trying to safely get Grogu to safety but then he missed him so now they’re back together. And Boba spent this series trying and failing to be the boss of his recently adopted town, finally achieved it, walked down the street once smiling at everyone, decided he didn’t like it after all and has immediately handed it over to his friends instead.

I’m particularly disappointed that all the tusken stuff in the early episodes didn’t have any pay off beyond him using Chekhov’s gaffi stick to beat Bane.

It was an enjoyable ride but I don’t think there was any point to the story.

3 minutes ago, Darren said:
Spoiler

I’m particularly disappointed that all the tusken stuff in the early episodes didn’t have any pay off beyond him using Chekhov’s gaffi stick to beat Bane.

Spoiler

I was fairly sure the warrior Tusken would reappear. Nope 

“I want to be the boss…”

*becomes boss*

“I don’t like being the boss”

Spoiler

Also how is Boba so stupid that he thought him asking the other crime families nicely not to betray him would actually work. Idiot. 

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

This comment from elsewhere about sums it up.

Reveal hidden contents

While watching this episode, I kept thinking how I couldn't explain this show to anyone. I could easily tell them what happened on the show, especially since not that much that did, but I don't even know where I would start on what the show was about. What was the central story arc, what was the character journey, anything like that?

I mean the whole thing with Fett is a core example of that. He essentially disappears for two of the last three episodes in a story how he wants to become the new crime lord... who seemingly is opposed to his organization doing criminal stuff? Then his four episode flashback storyline is wrapped up by not involving any Tusken and him getting vengeance by killing a person who was not at all involved in killing of that tribe. But who keeps telling Boba how he is still a killer despite that never having been a central conflict in the actual show. And all this ends with him making a comment where he essentially says he doesn't actually want to be a crime lord. I was so befuddled by that final scene.

What a truly odd project.

Spoiler

Boba has killed more people since he was introduced in the Mandalorian than he ever did in the original trilogy and seems to have absolutely zero issue doing so, so that whole “you’re still a killer”, said like it was something Boba was trying to deny and avoid and improve about himself didn’t work at all.

I liked the episode enough but the more I think about it, the more stupid it gets. 

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

This comment from elsewhere about sums it up.

Hide contents

While watching this episode, I kept thinking how I couldn't explain this show to anyone. I could easily tell them what happened on the show, especially since not that much that did, but I don't even know where I would start on what the show was about. What was the central story arc, what was the character journey, anything like that?

I mean the whole thing with Fett is a core example of that. He essentially disappears for two of the last three episodes in a story how he wants to become the new crime lord... who seemingly is opposed to his organization doing criminal stuff? Then his four episode flashback storyline is wrapped up by not involving any Tusken and him getting vengeance by killing a person who was not at all involved in killing of that tribe. But who keeps telling Boba how he is still a killer despite that never having been a central conflict in the actual show. And all this ends with him making a comment where he essentially says he doesn't actually want to be a crime lord. I was so befuddled by that final scene.

What a truly odd project.

Yup absolutely all this.

The Tusken part I enjoyed but then they just got fridged. Do the Tusken only exist to be slaughtered wholesale (see also Anakin).

Oh, you care about them now? We’re still just going to do a genocide on them.

I like the small scale of the madalorian - it works brilliantly. But this was too small a scale.

“Hey what if Jabba the Huts huge crime empire was replaced by Boba Fett and his 6 recent acquaintances”

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Hide contents

Boba has killed more people since he was introduced in the Mandalorian than he ever did in the original trilogy and seems to have absolutely zero issue doing so, so that whole “you’re still a killer”, said like it was something Boba was trying to deny and avoid and improve about himself didn’t work at all.

I liked the episode enough but the more I think about it, the more stupid it gets. 

Spoiler

The whole thing that started the sorry mess is him marching into Jabba’s Palace and murdering everyone inside in cold blood for reasons that were nebulous at best. It felt like those murders took place about a week, if that, before the finale.

So for the end of this to have the bad guy taunting him that he’s still a killer like this has been a story about him trying to go straight is a complete WTF moment.

Yeah that made me laugh.

Spoiler

When one of the Mods suggested fighting holed up in the bar I was like, what, no. That's a stupid fucking idea. And if it was about protecting the town they basically wrecked the place.

I definitely think I could do with less Robert Rodriguez in Star Wars going forward.

Spoiler

Meanwhile, the "Boba Fett becomes a crime lord" plot starts with him declaring himself a crime lord based on respect and ends with him mildly annoyed about being a crime lord (and feeling like he's not right for the job) with no real examination of why he wanted to become a crime lord in the first place. It almost felt like his arc was written backwards.

What.

RIP Cad Bane, pissed they introduced him in the last episode and then to kill him in the finale. I'm happy it was Boba who did it though but what a waste.

This episode really does just get more and more stupid the more I think back on it. I think it might actually be the worst of the whole series.

I still liked the train heist one (Ep 2?), that was exciting. Ep 5 and 6 were from a different show.

2 minutes ago, yakumo said:

I definitely think I could do with less Robert Rodriguez in Star Wars going forward.

Hide contents

Meanwhile, the "Boba Fett becomes a crime lord" plot starts with him declaring himself a crime lord based on respect and ends with him mildly annoyed about being a crime lord (and feeling like he's not right for the job) with no real examination of why he wanted to become a crime lord in the first place. It almost felt like his arc was written backwards.

What.

RIP Cad Bane, pissed they introduced him in the last episode and then to kill him in the finale. I'm happy it was Boba who did it though but what a waste.

Spoiler

He's 100% not dead.

Just now, Benny said:

Reveal hidden contents

He's 100% not dead.

Spoiler

He's dead. I know he's been shot in the head and survived plus he's a Duros. I know there was a red blinking light during the scene when he was impaled. I want to be wrong but he's dead and otherwise makes Boba's story pointless if he came back alive.

I’m pretty sure they 

Spoiler

reused Boba’s scream from when he fell into the sarlaac in ROTJ, when he fell off the rancor.

Other than that, I thought it was alright. Some dumb stuff, some good stuff. Weird that

Spoiler

the scorpion droids could blow up a heavily armoured vehicle, but their cannon fire just scorched the ancient sandstone everyone was hiding behind.

Yes, it's the Wilhelm Scream.

Wow, I can never judge how this is going to be received on here.

The

Spoiler

rancor kicking fuck out of everything

was great. It looked like

Spoiler

a stop motion creature in the best way. It even does the moves of the chess board hologram creatures at one point.

Spoiler

Everyone running around with blasters being an ineffective strategy was... kind of the point? A couple of bounty hunters and a rag tag group of fighters isn't going to work against an interstellar drug cartel, they're just going to run everyone over with large tanks.

Shame Mando's new ship didn't get used much.

The more I think about this the more disappointed I am. The flashbacks in the early episodes set us up for an emotional journey, a character arc for Boba that took him from badass, angry killer for hire to older, wiser warrior with a moral code. But that water the tuskens kept giving him to drink must have addled his brain because old man Boba was just an idiot. There were too many senior moments to mention in this episode but the epitome must be meekly accepting RADA girl’s terrible battle plan.

Looking back, what was the point of the flashbacks to Kamino and Geonosis?

It feels like it was a game of three halves: the flashbacks (good), the Mando episodes (also good), and the rest (wildly inconsistent). But most disappointing is that it didn’t tie those three strands together in any sort of satisfying way.

But if old man Fett let us down, maybe middle aged Kenobi can save us. Help us Obi Wan, you’re our only hope!

10 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

…and back to being shite.

Yep, two decent episodes and a load of meandering, impact-free toss around them. What was the point? There was a short Legacy of Boba Fett afterwards and it it basically had all the creators explaining why Boba Fett was so popular, highlighting why series didn't really work. And the best character to show up in Star Wars for ages gone in two episodes - great work, there.

16 minutes ago, Darren said:

But if old man Fett let us down, maybe middle aged Kenobi can save us. Help us Obi Wan, you’re our only hope!

This is a concern, isn't it? Two Star Wars series back-to-back featuring an old fool bumbling around on his own in the desert. The same desert, even.

1 hour ago, FishyFish said:

Fennec Shand does a pointless forward somersault at one point too. Badass bounty hunter that she is.

Unless I'm mistaken she turns up to save the mods as a big surprise. Then she gets on her speeder which was parked right next to them. How did they not notice her turn up on that thing?