IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Captain Kelsten

16 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Unless I'm mistaken she turns up to save the mods as a big surprise. Then she gets on her speeder which was parked right next to them. How did they not notice her turn up on that thing?

Yep, that was dumb, too. So she parked her bike right in front of them in the middle of the firefight, climbed up onto the roof, shot a load of guys ALL WHILST NO ONE SAW HER then somersaults off the roof and rides off, to the surprise of the Mods. 

Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Yep, that was dumb, too. So she parked her bike right in front of them in the middle of the firefight, climbed up onto the roof, shot a load of guys ALL WHILST NO ONE SAW HER then somersaults off the roof and rides off, to the surprise of the Mods. 

Also how did she manage that bit at the very end? She seemed to be in the room but it looked very small and with zero cover. I thought that was very poorly shot. 

You kinda knew it would be pump from the first episode though, like I dunno if streaming shows do 'pilots' anymore, but that was one of the worst first episodes of anything I've ever seen in that it just completely failed to introduce the character or what the series would actually be about. And then they did some flashbacks and you go "oh, cool they're doing a dual narrative, I'm a sucker for those" but no the flashback bits don't bother to inform or develop the character at all and are just excuses for setpieces that they couldn't fit in the modern day bits, so of course all of that goes nowhere.

The logic of the episode is easy to pick holes in.  That's the way with Rodriguez really, a director who is overtly more style than substance, so I kind of expected it.  On my first watch through I had plenty of fun but saw all these issues and was a little mixed and underwhelmed.

However, on second watch through with my kids last night (7 & 3) I realised that, as they laughed, gasped, screamed and 'ahhed' at all the intended times, the lack of logic didn't really matter.  This was just entertaining Star Wars action.

Watch Star Wars like a child.

Criticise it like an adult.

Too many get those the wrong way round.

Oh god here we go.

The inevitable deluge of you're joylesss/miserable/a possible serial killer if you didn't like this episode will also conveniently ignore that people criticising it loved the last two and the train heist one was generaly liked as well.

Spoiler

So was Ming Na-Wen's whole once you see the big twist at the end of the series you will be ashamed of your words and deeds, literally just that the Pyke's killed the Tuskens?

I don't know why they didn't do the obvious and have the reveal be that Cad Bane had murdered all the Tuskens at the Pyke's orders, it would have at least given their duel at the end a tiny bit of emotional resonance. His only big act of villainy in this was shooting Timothy Olyphant (who didnt even die) and a redshirt, both of whom Boba Fett didn't know and never even met.

29 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

You kinda knew it would be pump from the first episode though, like I dunno if streaming shows do 'pilots' anymore, but that was one of the worst first episodes of anything I've ever seen in that it just completely failed to introduce the character or what the series would actually be about. And then they did some flashbacks and you go "oh, cool they're doing a dual narrative, I'm a sucker for those" but no the flashback bits don't bother to inform or develop the character at all and are just excuses for setpieces that they couldn't fit in the modern day bits, so of course all of that goes nowhere.

Aren't the flashbacks integral to establishing what happened to Boba after Jedi and also a

Spoiler

big reason as to why he is on somewhat of a redemptive path?

It definitely sagged a bit around the middle episodes (prompting to me to leave it a few weeks and then binge through what I had built up) and it never hits the dizzy heights of Mando, but it was as good as I hoped for a character that exists now purely to allow other, better characters to flourish.

18 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Oh god here we go.

The inevitable deluge of you're joylesss/miserable/a possible serial killer if you didn't like this episode will also conveniently ignore that people criticising it loved the last two and the train heist one was generaly liked as well.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I wouldn't really mind style over substance if the style worked.

To each their own isn't it.  If it doesn't work for you, and you didn't enjoy it, that's a shame but that doesn't cast any aspertions upon your character.  It's only how people express their disappointment that does that.  As I said, with this episode it was only the joy of seeing my kids' enjoyment that got me past the issues I'd had on first viewing.

That's the thing about Star Wars, it more and more resembles an all-you-can-eat world buffet.  Take what you like, leave what you don't.  Just don't be a weirdo by standing by the Lamb Rogan Josh calling anyone who eats it a cunt, or loiter around the Sweet n Sour Chicken telling people they're a bellend if they don't take any.

Ah so the only way to enjoy something is to pretend you’re a child and ignore the issues with it, because you’re not allowed to have any issues with Star Wars. Look, we all know there’s good Star Wars and there’s bad Star Wars. This was bad Star Wars. It had its moments, but overall, I doubt it will be remembered all that fondly. 

29 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

To each their own isn't it.  If it doesn't work for you, and you didn't enjoy it, that's a shame but that doesn't cast any aspertions upon your character.  It's only how people express their disappointment that does that.  As I said, with this episode it was only the joy of seeing my kids' enjoyment that got me past the issues I'd had on first viewing.

That's the thing about Star Wars, it more and more resembles an all-you-can-eat world buffet.  Take what you like, leave what you don't.  Just don't be a weirdo by standing by the Lamb Rogan Josh calling anyone who eats it a cunt, or loiter around the Sweet n Sour Chicken telling people they're a bellend if they don't take any.

All I’d seen was people saying what they thought about the episode. You were the first one to wade into the discussion to accuse people of watching it wrong. And you have form for that I've seen you in other threads (Ghostbusters for one) accusing people of being miserable and whatnot if they don't happen to enjoy a show/film and are just expressing that without saying anything else about other posters who enjoyed it. Remember criticism of a piece of media is not criticism of you as a person.

2 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Ah so the only way to enjoy something is to pretend you’re a child and ignore the issues with it, because you’re not allowed to have any issues with Star Wars. Look, we all know there’s good Star Wars and there’s bad Star Wars. This was bad Star Wars. It had its moments, but overall, I doubt it will be remembered all that fondly. 

I didn't say 'pretend you're a child' did I?  Stop being disingenuous.  My point was that my kids had an absolute blast and that made me happy.  Weird that you'd have a problem with that to be honest.  They're also far closer to the true target age group, so as long as they're getting joy from it, then I see that as a better barometer that it's doing its job than whether it pleases adults.

Film & TV is subjective, so as much as you might want to say "this is good / this is bad", it's just down to taste.  If it didn't work for you, fine, but that doesn't mean you're right and those who liked it are wrong.  I know people who really didn't like the last two weeks' chapters, but love this one, and people for whom the complete opposite is true.  None of them are right or wrong.

Well I thoroughly enjoyed at least 4 episodes out of a 7 episode run, and was invested enough to watch on release day each week so as to avoid spoilers.

So I guess that puts me in the positive column.  Yeah it wasn’t perfect and definitely lost it’s way with Boba himself over 5 & 6, but it still had some genuinely great Star Wars moments.

1 minute ago, Harsin said:

All I’d seen was people saying what they thought about the episode. You were the first one to wade into the discussion to accuse people of watching it wrong. And you have form for that I've seen you in other threads accusing people of being miserable and whatnot if they don't happen to enjoy a show/film and are just expressing that without saying anything else about other posters who enjoyed it. Remember criticism of a piece of media is not criticism of you as a person.

if you read my post again, you'll see I was talking about my own experience with the chapter, and then passing a general comment on how people watch and enjoy star wars.

but fuck it, i won't 'wade in' in future and give my half-positive thoughts on an episode in the thread about the show for fear of upsetting your desire for some sort of echo-chamber, as i clearly have done in the past.  for someone who rarely posts it's amusing to be accused of 'having form'.

mtfbwy 👋

36 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

No one was doing that in here though, you're the one windmilling in calling people cunts.

40 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

To each their own isn't it.  If it doesn't work for you, and you didn't enjoy it, that's a shame but that doesn't cast any aspertions upon your character.

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

No one was doing that in here though, you're the one windmilling in calling people cunts.

Yeah, but they totally didn't do that though.