The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Captain Kelsten

Ol Jabba definitely wasn’t kidding about the horrors of death by Sarlacc was he?

Poor old Boba barely managed to survive but even then came out 4 stone heavier and 30 years older!!!!

3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's literally in the bit I quoted.

It really isn't.

I watched this on my own late last night, and it's a good fun end to the series. Some really great action.

Spoiler

Black Krrsantan's re-appearance after going down to the trandoshans was a highlight. I think they did a great job with him . The rancor was fab - really convincing. 

Looking forward to watching it with the kids over the weekend. It is great to have that other perspective on the series, as @Sixkiller says. I think it was patchy overall, with some great moments, but they loved it all. Even the mods - a direct quote from my daughter about the girl boss: "that is one cool chick".

I do hate how they killed the tusken raiders off though. 

34 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

What a bizarre series. Truly felt like they were (poorly) figuring it out week by week. Agreed that it had some wonderful moments, but the whole thing just felt totally pointless. Yet also essential if you want to understand the other Star Wars shows, I guess.

Film Crit Hulk did a wonderful summary of it all - https://www.patreon.com/posts/62359427

That's an excellent article about just how weird the story dynamics of this series were.

I think part of the problem is that we're a bit spoiled by modern HBO/Netflix type series that do multi-threaded narratives really well. Whereas this was very much in the 1980s Saturday teatime mould. Everything that we thought was setting up an emotional beat that would resonate later on was just introducing a character/weapon that would appear in the final battle, all of which we all predicted as soon as they appeared in the earlier episodes.

3 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:
  Hide contents

Watching an Ithorian slowly being hanged was probably the weirdest moment in Star Wars history.

Spoiler

I'm picturing the children mentioned further up the thread laughing and clapping and cheering at that and I'm glad I don't have any children and will sleep with the lights on.

57 minutes ago, Benny said:
  Hide contents

I'm picturing the children mentioned further up the thread laughing and clapping and cheering at that and I'm glad I don't have any children and will sleep with the lights on.

Spoiler

Big "kids love boring trade talks" energy. Always the same defense.

1 hour ago, christaylor said:

Boba sending the diplomat guy out to die with his scribbled list of negotiation points (that was the most cold-hearted thing he's done in the whole series!),

Actually that reminds me, I did quite like that Twi'lek - he gave me some good laughs in this episode.

40 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Hide contents

Big "kids love boring trade talks" energy. Always the same defense.

Just trying to provide a bit of context for different ways some people might enjoy the show (despite its flaws) that might be missed by others. HTH :)

Funnily enough, when I asked my son a couple of years ago what his fave SW film was, he said Attack of the Clones. I asked him why, and he said it was all the trade disputes! Sorry, he didn't really. He said clones and lightsabers. I don't remember if there is any trade disputes in AOTC.

There is a board meeting of the Separatist Council where the Banking Clan, Techno Union and Commerce Guild all agree to form a treaty. I like those bits best in the prequels, just as I love the bit in A New Hope where Tarkin explains about the dissolving of the Senate and the role of the regional governors.

Fan-fiction. That was what kept springing to mind as I watched this series. The uneven tone; old, popular characters thrown in when things are in danger of slowing down; illogical to non-existent characterisation; idiotic tactics from supposedly hardened gun-fighters; last-minute saves; Rancor steed; the author’s own creations being amusingly ill judged…

It genuinely felt like something that was written week to week with no real plan of where the hell anything was going, or how it would all work together. Of course, after the narrative tug-o-war between Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker, that’s not too surprising to me. 

This was so weeiiiiiirrrdddd….

Boba Fett continued to look like a total moron who has no idea what he is doing, and can be persuaded to change his plan by anyone who wants to. In battle he totally squanders every single one of his allies and advantages, and trusts everyone despite having no reason to.

I actually thought the hand of Disney was at work here forcing everything to be ‘all ages appropriate’ - Fennec Shand was introduced in the Mandalorian as a ruthless cold blooded killer and definitely the villain, but now here she is praising grumpy kids for their good manners. Boba, the infamous bounty hunter known for being too fond of disintegrating people, wants to be nice and stays to protect ‘his people’ even though it’s totally stupid and puts everyone at risk.

But then there are two moments in the finale that totally undermine all of that -

Spoiler

the hanging of the alien mayor and the killing of Cad Bane

- and you can’t help but think that if they were willing to go that dark, why castrate the characters so much in the prior episodes?

The Wookiee also looked like a totally useless chump.

The only good thing here was

Spoiler

the Rancor.

I’m not sure what the point of all of that was. The Mandalorian has kind of had a reset, but that’s all that’s happened.

Also I think I’ve figured it out. The Mandalorian and the Marvel shows are different because they feel like movies but in show form. They’re a new, special thing Inbetween 

This feels like a tv show (bar episode 2 and the mandalorian episodes). it’s like the Netflix marvel shows. 

I thought that this was great, plus it’s just so good being able to watch decent Star Wars again.

The other thing that people seem to forget about when complaining about how Boba Fett isn’t as “bad ass” as in the original trilogy. Isn’t this is set 5 years after Return of the Jedi? I’m not sure how long Boba Fett was in the sarlacc pit for, but judging by the flashbacks Boba Fett has, he’s had a pretty messed up 5 years - no wonder he’s not as confident in himself….

Anyway, the story arc of Boba Fett moving from a lone bounty hunter to building up his own “clan”, while it looks like The Mandalorian is going through the opposite arc, is pretty interesting.

Reading the last couple of pages reminds me of post phantom menace fandom chat as people tried to convince themselves it was good.

I’m not trying to dunk on anyones enjoyment but it’s just so hard to see any coherence in the macro level of the story or the micro level of any set piece or character action.

4 hours ago, Darwock said:

This was so weeiiiiiirrrdddd….

Boba Fett continued to look like a total moron who has no idea what he is doing, and can be persuaded to change his plan by anyone who wants to. In battle he totally squanders every single one of his allies and advantages, and trusts everyone despite having no reason to.

I actually thought the hand of Disney was at work here forcing everything to be ‘all ages appropriate’ - Fennec Shand was introduced in the Mandalorian as a ruthless cold blooded killer and definitely the villain, but now here she is praising grumpy kids for their good manners. Boba, the infamous bounty hunter known for being too fond of disintegrating people, wants to be nice and stays to protect ‘his people’ even though it’s totally stupid and puts everyone at risk.

But then there are two moments in the finale that totally undermine all of that -

Hide contents

the hanging of the alien mayor and the killing of Cad Bane

- and you can’t help but think that if they were willing to go that dark, why castrate the characters so much in the prior episodes?

The Wookiee also looked like a totally useless chump.

The only good thing here was

Hide contents

the Rancor.

I’m not sure what the point of all of that was. The Mandalorian has kind of had a reset, but that’s all that’s happened.

I have to admit that I'm of a similar sentiment. There is such a massive gulf in quality between this show and The Mandalorian. And yet it SEEMS that it is the same people doing both. So my guess is that it is either like you say- some higher ups exerting influence, or my other theory is that despite the names at the end- Filoni had very little to do with this apart from the two Mando specific episodes. 

Posh English girl mod (she's actually a yank) was actually pretty decent in Prospect with Pascal. Fuck knows why they told her to go all Queens English in this. It's the least of that crew's problems, mind.

Oh, and the Weequay bar owner is played by Swearengen's main barman in Deadwood. Him and Olyphant back together again too.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

9 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I must have missed it but when did he write his book?

"There and back again, a Bobbits tale"

Oh ooh also, I KNEW I'd seen the Pykes somewhere before

tumblr_nmsxz33ft41tj5b5bo4_400.gif.53cb55498e19ba3b57ddf6661ee3f34f.gif