IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Doctor Shark

I liked that Fennec Shand had to explain to Boba Fett where all his vast criminal empire of two fat pig men, four or five Cyberpunk Hollyoaks extras, and a Wookiee* were. What did he pop out back for a deathstick during the planning phase? I know they have to impart that information to the audience somehow, but surely not in a manner that makes him look like clueless. Why not do it heist movie style (there's a reason for that trope as it's good way of imparting exposition while keeping things dynamic and zipping along) and even better have Boba Fett being the one to come up with plan actually making him seem like a leader and being a character who drives the plot instead of some chump who mooches around his bacta racecar bed in between overdoing the old Colgate Max White.

* Don't even get me started on the wisdom of specifically deciding to send the Wookiee, who gets so rage filled at the sight of Trandoshans that he tore the arm off one unprovoked a couple of nights earlier, to the Trandoshan quarter full of the guys who hunt and skin his species for lols, when the entire point of the plan at that point is supposed to hinge on keeping a delicate peace with the other gangs.

2 hours ago, wev said:

I didn't think it was great, but didn't think it was absolutely awful either, it was good in places, then went weird with turning into The Mandalorian 2.5, and had some comically bad moments. Like someone else said, it felt like a 80s/90s Saturday afternoon action show like The A-Team, Knight Rider, Airwolf and Thunder in Paradise.

Let's not lump Thunder in Paradise in with those classics! 

Put it this way: Rebels is 100% aimed at kids, and an even younger audience than Book of Bubba Ho Fett, but that series is far more consistent, engaging, and carefully written.

Being aimed at a younger audience is not a good reason to excuse the flaws in something. Unless you think all children are idiots or deserve less from their media.

17 minutes ago, Harsin said:

* Don't even get me started on the wisdom of specifically deciding to send the Wookiee, who gets so rage filled at the sight of Trandoshans that he tore the arm off one unprovoked a couple of nights earlier, to the Trandoshan quarter full of the guys who hunt and skin his species for lols

And just like that I actually now have context for why he just flipped out randomly in the bar.

The show assuming you just have that in-universe knowledge already is another example of the problems. I mean sure he could have just flipped out randomly, but there is a reasoning there which isn't implied in anything in the actual script. You know, like in a good show.

The whole thing was hamstrung from the start by the fact they'd already told the middle and arguably best part of Boba's story - getting his armour back, and meeting Mando - in The Mandalorian.

So his own show was a beginning and an end without a middle section, with a flashback structure that didn't really work then what felt like two actual episodes of The Mandalorian dropped into the middle to pad out the series.

If they'd been able to tell Boba's story in chronological order, from escaping the Sarlacc pit to meeting the Tuskens to getting his armour back to all the Daimyo stuff, it would have been a decent little spin-off. Apart from the Mods, of course.

Boba’s gunship and Mando’s shiny Naboo fighter would all have have been more useful than a burned out nightclub and the kids from Fame

I think in Star Wars there is some sort of galaxy-wide agreement that *sometimes* you aren't allowed to use any of your sci-fi universe accoutrements (or the Holdo Manoeuvre) and other times you can. And you are never allowed to just drop a fridge on someone's house / fortress from orbit because that's fucking cheating, even if it would be a winning strategy every single time.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

The itz for da kidz excuse doesn't really work for me. For starters I'd say they're going for a family market like the original Star Wars and most Marvel stuff. 

The two people who said this said they watched it with their families, so i'm not sure if you picked that up right? Star Wars is pretty explicitly aimed at all ages.  

54 minutes ago, Benny said:

Being aimed at a younger audience is not a good reason to excuse the flaws in a something. Unless you think all children are idiots or deserve less from their media.

The two people who said this both said the show is flawed, but watching it as a family meant they got a different perspective on it. Plot holes and "cinema sins" don't matter as much to kids. They are sometimes quite idiotic, yes. It's why they're not allowed to drive cars.

Just to be clear about this - i'm not saying you're wrong. I'm not saying your criticism is invalid. I'm not saying BOBF is the most amazing thing ever. I agree with what I read of the film crit hulk thing. Agree even more with Rebels being amazing.

What I am saying is, different people like different things for different reasons. Priorities are different. The obvious flaws in BOBF matter less to some people than the good things about the show, and they're able to enjoy the show despite those flaws. Maybe they're just idiots like their stupid kids :D 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

The show assuming you just have that in-universe knowledge already is another example of the problems. I mean sure he could have just flipped out randomly, but there is a reasoning there which isn't implied in anything in the actual script. You know, like in a good show.

Sorry Benny, don't mean to quote bomb you, but here I am. 

The Trandoshan boss paid tribute to Boba Fett in the first episode with a wookie pelt. Easy to miss, and not quite explicit enough, but it is there. 

I suppose this should be spoilered, but relating to that image:

Spoiler

I actually forgot bout that scene. That moment was pretty much the peak of my bemusement at the whole thing. I couldn’t tell if they were deliberately going for comedy. There was a montage of everything else going wrong in hilariously incompetent fashion, followed by the two fish-out-of-water Gamorreans getting walked backwards off a cliff, still side by side.

At some point it cut to Boba being told what his plan is by Fennec while he stood with one foot up on a chair, with Mando pulling the same exact pose in another part of the room. Looked like they were posing for photographs in the ‘distinguished gentlemen’ section of a Beskar armour catalogue.

How were we supposed to take him seriously at any point?

I love this theory about The Book of Boba Fett.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/22929592/book-of-boba-fett-hero-vs-villain?

...Boba Fett is half-heartedly fighting an anonymous school of fish-people over money, because he has nothing better to do. It’s a baffling setup from the start.

Fortunately, there’s an easy solution to both problems. And it comes from acknowledging the undercurrent running through the whole series: Boba Fett is actually the villain of The Book of Boba Fett, and the whole story is a wry comedy about how he accidentally fails upward through the ranks of more established, competent, and powerful villains. People watching the show have been complaining all along that he’s too undefined. But looked at in terms of his choices, he’s actually extremely clearly defined — as a selfish crook who’s oblivious to the harm he causes and how unsuited he is for the role he’s claiming.

edit: I read the whole piece and viewing The Book of Boba Fett through this lens it makes it a much better show, I'm not sure if this was planned by it's creators or like the titular lead it's ended up failing upwards.

Love how the first few posts on here for this finale were full of praise, followed by 5 pages of pile on.

Allow me to join in. It was a fucking shite episode. Only slightly less bad than Rodriguez’s other mod-squad twatfest. So, to ‘can’t direct chase sequences’ add ‘can’t direct gunfights’.

Awful, cringey shit that was utterly devoid of whatever magic allowed eps 5 and 6 to feel like top tier Star Wars. It’s not even Grogu that’s the be all end all, as his scenes in this did little for me.

Over all it was full of daft bits. Then it had some really good bits, then it went daft again. Big time.

Please no more Boba Fett, he's deviated so much from my little man on my shelf, an ideal 40 years strong, that he's starting to piss me off looking down at me.

No more modern muppet. I implore you.*

*I'm not that arsed but fuck me, way to kill a cool character.

I’ve said it before, but if Star Wars want to cast British actresses as Tatooine street urchins, PLEASE cast someone from a Nottingham council estate.  

“What’s that m8? A fookin lart-sey-buh?”

7 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

I’ve said it before, but if Star Wars want to cast British actresses as Tatooine street urchins, PLEASE cast someone from a Nottingham council estate.  

“What’s that m8? A fookin lart-sey-buh?”

"Ayup, woss all the fookin abaht? Twat 'im in the gob and stick kekkle on"

1 hour ago, amc said:

Over all it was full of daft bits. Then it had some really good bits, then it went daft again. Big time.

Please no more Boba Fett, he's deviated so much from my little man on my shelf, an ideal 40 years strong, that he's starting to piss me off looking down at me.

No more modern muppet. I implore you.*

*I'm not that arsed but fuck me, way to kill a cool character.

Did they kill that one though? Did they? Only the new Boba Fett wouldn't double check to make sure.

I think the reason I enjoyed this show is the Boba Fett I remembered from Jedi died in an almost slapstick way. So for me he's never had that mystique. I never had a Boba Fett doll either so I didn't imprint all these badass adventures on him (like I did with my ultra cool IG 88 doll.)

Struggled with this from the start. I like Starwars but I've never got into it in any depth. I felt like I was always missing something in this like it assumed I had more knowledge than was shown. 

Enjoyed the two Mando episodes, the whole quality massively improved and then it slumped again for the final. What a weird series.  

What was the after credit scene about? I might have missed something as started to fall asleep! 

11 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I love this theory about The Book of Boba Fett.

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/22929592/book-of-boba-fett-hero-vs-villain?

edit: I read the whole piece and viewing The Book of Boba Fett through this lens it makes it a much better show, I'm not sure if this was planned by it's creators or like the titular lead it's ended up failing upwards.

He did say

Spoiler

“You know, I don’t think we’re cut out for this”

to Fennec right at the end. So it looks like

Spoiler

we spent seven episodes establishing exactly what you say, and he’s going to give it all up anyway and leave Tatooine.

1 hour ago, merrychan said:

I think we could extend this even further to a slow Mos Vespa going along to the Hovis advert music :D

Or have him going around to various people asking if he knows who killed the tuskens to the Yellow Pages music, JR Hartley style. 

Occurs to me that the reason why so many of these superhero/franchise TV series end up feeling like 1980s TV shows is that they've got basically the same writing constraints: they've been given a bunch of characters and a setting and they have to crank out a certain number of episodes without developing anything new. The constraint comes out of some strange notion of brand fidelity instead of a lack of money for new sets and cast members, but it gives you the same end result.

20 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

This is not a new phenomenon:

Wow. That looks brilliant. As massive a SW nerd that I am, I've never given the books, cartoons, most of the extended stuff a go. That actually looks well worth a watch.

3 hours ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

That was a very clunky finale. Some terrible dialogue, really poor action choreography and incredibly messy and dated direction. For a guy that made a name for himself making low budget action, Rodriguez seems to have very little understanding of how to direct big action set-pieces. Maybe it's because he's traditionally directed more contained action. One on one fights, bar fights etc. Very different from directing large battle scenes. There were definitely enjoyable moments, but it really did feel like something you'd see on the Sci-Fi channel in the 90's at times.

Overall, what an utterly bewildering experience. Absolutely no defined motivation for the protagonist, almost no structure to the plot, pretty much zero arc and nearly 30 percent of the series doesn't even feature the main character or progress the plot. It's especially weird as so many themes and plot points are established in the first few episodes only to remain completely unresolved or in some cases, totally unexplored. 

They could have easily turned the entire thing into a Point Blank style series, with Boba Fett being a Lee Marvin type figure driven by revenge and on a mission to find out who killed the Tuskens. You could still easily weave in all of the Pyke stuff and Cad Bane. At least that way Fett has a clear motivation and we can actually follow his journey with some understanding of what he's trying to achieve. They touch upon this with a little line of dialogue that's so utterly meaningless that you're left completely bemused. It makes you wonder why so much time was spent in the flashbacks. I'm no wiser as to who Boba Fett is than I was before this series began.

And yet, it was all inoffensively enjoyable and there's enough fun stuff in there that I watched it anyway and will probably continue to watch another series of it. Confused / 10.

Señor Bollock's view here sums up mine very well. It just seemed really scattergun.

What I loved about The Mandalorian was that it nailed the Glen A. Larson Saturday teatime vibe, in a Star Wars context, without all that heavy-duty joining up of things from elsewhere (until it started to do that later). You could watch and enjoy it without knowing any extended universe nonsense, although there's that extra layer for the ultrafans to enjoy too.

What this series did was just a bit odd. The set up at the end of Mando, with Fett having fought with the goodies for a bit (but mainly out of honour, and to get his armour back, rather than a moral duty), and shooting Bib Fortuna in cold blood. We were going to see him going back to being a baddy. Fett as crime lord! How will he do that and still have us rooting for him?

But we get this weird thing where he's just going to and from that reception and being polite for what seemed like 12 times, having messengers come to his manor and openly diss him to his face, him going to that bar for other not-that-apparent reasons, and then having a sit-down with the other crime bosses.

But instead of asserting his dominance over them, he just says, "can you criminals promise you won't do any crimes at me, while I sort out these spice traders who really don't seem to be posing much of a threat except maybe clogging up local infrastructure?" and then trusting them when they say "why, that would be most acceptable" in a dead untrustworthy voice.

I loved the flashbacks with the Tuskens, but what was it all for, aside from him learning An Important Lesson About Community, but still trashing half his town with his new pet?

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, we already *had* a Boba Fett series with The Mandalorian – the mysterious gunslinger who we root for as he slowly builds a relationship with Baby Yoda. So to have another who does a load of weird pedestrian stuff instead.

Yeah. Weird show. Bit worried about Kenobi now, especially as it's likely to make much, much more reference to the prequels (which I despised, and which I was glad the sequels ignored).