IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Captain Kelsten

Only just got round to watching this. Overall enjoyable but it was so weird that there two episodes that barely featured Boba Fett at all, focusing on the Mandalorian and baby Yoda. Like the writers had little interest in the main character. Very odd.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally watched this. Binged it all since yesterday.

“It was the smart move,” Mando tells Boba, nicely summing up the approach literally everyone other than Boba takes.  This show should have been called The Character Assassination of Boba Fett by the Coward Jon Favreau. 

Fennec Shand is the only reason he’s still alive, and even her friendship and loyalty doesn’t make any sense. She starts off saying “one job and then we’re even” but is apparently won over by his repeated and persistent attempts at getting them both killed at every opportunity. All in his pursuit of being a crime lord, despite having no appetite for committing any crime whatsoever.

And everything Luke says and does seems to fly in the face of what his own experience would suggest he would be inclined to. 

The bizarre thing is, eps 5 and 6 show they haven’t forgotten how to do Star Wars well. I wish we could have more of Mando associating with seedy aliens on alien space stations instead of the endless adventures of people we already know on the same planet we’ve seen a million times before. 

Oh and Mado’s new ship - isn’t a major issue with it that it has no real storage space? Didn’t he have like frozen bounties in the hold of the Razor Crest? Can’t exactly see them being strapped to a roof rack on top of the Naboo starfighter.

The end bit with baby yoda knocking on the glass did get the biggest laugh out of me, when I found out what he wanted, though. Is it not just my kid that does that, then?

That ship (cool as it is) is in there purely for marketing reasons, and transparently so. Just like Mando season 2 being largely a promo for all the other new series they want to sell to us.

21 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Fennec Shand is the only reason he’s still alive, and even her friendship and loyalty doesn’t make any sense. She starts off saying “one job and then we’re even” but is apparently won over by his repeated and persistent attempts at getting them both killed at every opportunity. All in his pursuit of being a crime lord, despite having no appetite for committing any crime whatsoever.

I could never figure out what they intended with the character at all with this stuff. It seemed like they were trying for some kind of redemptive arc for him, learning to be honourable or merciful or just plain good or something. But he was simply a (hugely inept) mafioso, wandering around and trying to intimidate local businesses into paying his tribute, clumsily showing his supposed might on the streets, fighting for his territory that he inexplicably believed was rightly his. There was no antihero aspect to it, the route that other vastly superior shows have gone down; they seemed to think people would root for him because he was somehow in the right, when it seemed to me that the Hutts were no more the bad guys.

There were innumerable other things seriously wrong with the show, obviously, but this particularly stuck out to me, even in such a rich sea of crap.

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Can’t exactly see them being strapped to a roof rack on top of the Naboo starfighter.

He’ll save a fortune in Carbonite though.

On 04/06/2022 at 11:56, Darwock said:

That ship (cool as it is) is in there purely for marketing reasons, and transparently so. Just like Mando season 2 being largely a promo for all the other new series they want to sell to us.

I initiatally thought it was Anakin’s pod racer when the tarp was taken off it, so a Naboo star fighter was far less nausea inducing. 

Obviously there’s only like 5 ship manufacturers in the Universe. 

• 1 month later...

This is such an odd programme. It's like watching someone else play a Bioware RPG, where they're making the paragon choice at every possible opportunity - the setup is very game-like, where Fett has to conquer each sector of the city by carrying out very simple fetch quests on behalf of the generally unthreatening population, and the resolution to each bit feels like he's taking the option that gives him the most light-side points, regardless of whether that's consistent with him being the capo of an organised crime gang and a hired killer. Evil shopkeeper selling water to The Kids at inflated prices, but still can't pay your protection money? Do you:

>Burn his shop down, kneecap him, and double his debt to you

>Let The Kids join your gang, and pay him for the water anyway despite you supposedly being the Tony Soprano of Faux Eisley

This guy is an absolute fucking pushover. The series so far has just been an endless process of people coming into his lair and mugging him off.