IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Doctor Shark

I thought that was rather good. 

Spoiler

My first question was "How the fuck did a Stormtrooper end up inside the Sarlacc?" - We know there were active Imperial patrols on Tattooine but this guy looked pretty fresh. Was a patrol randomly snapped up mere days before Jabba stopped by with Luke and co?

Kind of weird to see Twi'leks and a Trandoshan speaking Basic (English). They do all the time in the Animated SW shows but this is the first time in live action I believe.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Chewbacca here is first mate on a ship that might suit us. ;)

On which note, it was amusing to see

Spoiler

the Trandoshan (as is there way) paying tribute with a very Chewbaccary Wookiee pelt. To literally no comment from anyone in the room.

😄

5 hours ago, Darren said:

I thought it was great and set up lots of threads which I’m confident they will knit together later:

Hide contents

storyline.

- The Mayor of Mos Espa is going to be a problem. Place your bets now for who it might turn out to be. Watto?

Spoiler

I would love that. The last time we saw him he was pissing and moaning about some deadbeats who were giving him bother. He was a down and out covered i flies and shit. That sort of hubris would be pure Watto.

I'd prefer hour long episodes but then, it means they really have no opportunity for padding out episodes (some of the Marvel series has done this). 30mins just flew by. 

I enjoyed the way his flashbacks show him gradually recuperating. He's not a badass yet, he's vulnerable and that sets up a reckoning for all the gang bosses who are probably going to try and stage a coup. 

I might wait until it's all out, avoid spoilers and binge watch it.

I'm not massively into Star Wars at all but always liked the character. 

Boba Fett is a pretty blank slate - his only canon appearances are Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Mandalorian season 2 and now Book of Boba Fett. Anything else, EU included, isn’t considered “real” anymore so they can do whatever they like with him, people’s fan fiction, head canon or poorly written books be damned. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Boba Fett is a pretty blank slate - his only canon appearances are Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Mandalorian season 2 and now Book of Boba Fett. Anything else, EU included, isn’t considered “real” anymore so they can do whatever they like with him, people’s fan fiction, head canon or poorly written books be damned. 

Plenty of animated series appearances though.

He was in Attack of the Clones too but only as a kid.

I only just finished watching The Mandalorian before I watched this so it was kind of cool seeing him do all the Boba Fett stuff prior to this slower paced episode

Was gonna say, even as a kid in the series he seemed a bit more 'reasonable' as a person generally, once past the whole revenge angle.

I'm also looking forward to getting a better sense of just how badass he can be, as we rarely get much to go on there either. Wonder who'd have won in a fight between him and the cowboy dugg guy, for example.

I hoping this will be a bit of a slow burner.  Good start but I think the flashback & forwards messed up the pacing of this episode and they should have just had the whole thing showing his escape, etc (but what do I know, I’m just a SW nerd, not a world famous Director).

14 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I thought that was rather good. 

Hide contents

My first question was "How the fuck did a Stormtrooper end up inside the Sarlacc?" - We know there were active Imperial patrols on Tattooine but this guy looked pretty fresh. Was a patrol randomly snapped up mere days before Jabba stopped by with Luke and co?

I might be misremembering but

Spoiler

don't some get knocked in just before he does?

There must be some significance to

Spoiler

the tube he pulls from the stormtrooper

but I don’t know what it is. The obvious implication is that

Spoiler

it’s impossible to breathe down there and he needs the other fella’s air supply, but if the air down there’s toxic causing relatively quick death then that makes Threepio even more of a bullshitter with his “slowly digested over a thousand years” codswallop.

So it can’t be that.

C3-PO was just translating what was said at the time, he wasn’t threatening Luke himself.

edit - forgot to add my thoughts. To be honest I was a bit miffed that Mandalorian S2 was used purely as a vehicle to set-up all these spin offs, to the extent that he was sidelined in his own show by Boba Fett and his ship. I didn’t realize that this one was going to be made by the exact same creative team, done in the same style with the same end credits etc. It makes me think they didn’t really want to continue the Mandalorian, but I am more interested in that than this.

Not sure why Boba Fett was shown to be so ‘nice’, it seems contrary to the whole image of the character - even their own teaser clip riffing on Conan the Barbarian painted him as a bad-ass - I guess Disney wouldn’t allow them to follow through on that?

And then the hurrr-hurrr-dumm-dumm-dooo end titles music… oh god no.

I still need to be won over. Fennec Shand is awesome though.

3 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Even if he wasn’t, you’d starve to death in a week or two, and if you packed a lunch you would die of old age - so it wouldn’t really take 1000 years.

I’ve always rationalised it that the sarlacc has special stomach juice that keeps you alive, like bacta I suppose. It never occurred to me that “Jabba’s being hyperbolic” is a much simpler explanation!

27 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Not sure why Boba Fett was shown to be so ‘nice’, it seems contrary to the whole image of the character - even their own teaser clip riffing on Conan the Barbarian painted him as a bad-ass - I guess Disney wouldn’t allow them to follow through on that?

LucasFilm has been wildly inconsistent with his character since 2015. Sometimes he's neutral and not an asshole and other times he's shown to be a sadistic douche.

Yeah, I think it is implied that 

Spoiler

the tube was just for breathing, which I guess would make more sense being taken from a stormtrooper, but that does raise the question of how a stormtrooper ended up there, which is a question they could have just sidestepped by having him taking a water canteen from a palace guard instead for example.

I think we are just to assume that some random patrol got chucked down there a week earlier for any number of reasons. For all I know the sarlaac might be the local body disposal place used by ALL the local hoodlums. Super convenient.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

I’ve always rationalised it that the sarlacc has special stomach juice that keeps you alive, like bacta I suppose. It never occurred to me that “Jabba’s being hyperbolic” is a much simpler explanation!

I always remember reading the Boba Fett short story from Tales from Jabbas Palace which I had as a kid. It features him inside the Sarlacc trying to escape and finding other people inside being slowly digested including a Jedi that had been there for a long time, possibly years.

The crux of it was that the Sarlacc kept its food alive as per Jabba's quote Of a 1000 years but also the consciousness of those being digested somehow became a part of the Sarlacc, forming a kind of shared hive mind of jumbled memories. Typical early Legends bollocks mind you and I think Fett escapes by blowing himself out of it and returning later in his ship to destroy the Sarlacc completely.

I think Fett probably lives by the same credo as Jango. "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."

Sure part of that was trying to bullshit Obi-wan but there was probably some truth to it. He does what he can to get by.  That may be bounty hunting or making money by providing Dooku and Sidious a template for their secret clone army.  I also loved the brief shots of Kamino and Geonosis at the beginning. I think they actually added a close up of Jangos helmet (steady now) to the Arena footage from AOTC. I also liked seeing Mos Espa again.