IGNORED

The Book of Boba Fett - December 2021, Disney +

Captain Kelsten

Spoiler

We get a lot of third-hand stuff in the other SW material about how scary an angry wookie can be, but that was the first time I legitimately got it. Helps that he's huge (even for a wookie), but also the facial, uh, animation or whatever it was (all prosthetic work?) was really expressive. He looked pissed.

Also, I keep forgetting how much I enjoy the closing credits when 'HUMMM DADA HUMMM' kicks in.

My knowledge of boba fett isn’t great, but is he a lame pacifist in everything? 

Spoiler

I feel people are more likely to die of embarrassment at how fucking shit teen mod gang were than they are to get killed by Boba. 

It's so bloody obvious that the Pikes are going to have the swoop biker gang as their muscle, and that gang looks like rockers ... can you see where this is going? I've never liked the term 'creatively bankrupt', but it's so appropriate here it's almost painful. 

This wasn’t as good as last weeks.

Spoiler

Pacifist Boba is starting to get a bit tiresome,  hopefully now the Pikes have turned up he can start wasting them as they’re slavers so it shouldn’t upset any moral code. 

The mod bikers are a big crap but I guess he has to start building his henchmen army somewhere. 

Black Kerstanan was great though and I’m sure he will be back

just realised was the I’ve ridden bigger line a reference to the Holiday special ?

image.png.b85b822cacfaa7856c113327d63dfbd6.png

The only things I liked about this episode were the flashback scenes* and the reference to the Witches of Dathomir. 

*Which is why last week's was so good, it was 95% flashback. The "present day" stuff is absolute wank.

On 11/01/2022 at 19:11, Bazjam said:

I’m feeling very indifferent about this. Feel like I’m watching it out of duty rather than enjoyment. I felt exactly the same way about The Mandalorian, which leaves me worried about the direction Star Wars is going. It all looks good, and hits many nostalgia bones, but just feels very lightweight and hollow. There’s just no dramatic all emotional weight to any of it, which the original trilogy had plenty of. Just a bunch of stuff happening each week. Feels more like Star Wars cosplay.

I know it’s early days to judge, but my experience of watching The Mandalorian doesn’t give me high hopes that things will change.

its like watching someone play world of Warcraft with Star Wars skins .

You hit the nail on the head, there’s no emotion.  It’s just boring fetch/kill quests.

Not watched episode 3 yet, but expectations are low.

compare it to the animations , clone wars etc,  they are miles better story wise. I guess it’s still early days….

12 minutes ago, Darren said:

The space mods were terrible but they did prompt my wife to christen them

Reveal hidden contents

Mos Vespas

which makes it all worthwhile.

Please don't make me like them

I liked the episode, other than

Spoiler

the slow-ass chase which took way too much time. They're setting up the Pikes as the big bad, and we've already seen Boba has no qualms in killing them at all. I want to know what the deal with the Kamino flashback is. It's the second time it's come up, so it's more than just an evocative scene

Don't think much of this so far. The Mandalorian was great, had a lot of the Rogue One's about it (an authenticity) but this feels like the opposite to me. As someone mentioned earlier, it feels like cosplay and a bit tepid to boot. Not a fan of Morrison's take on the character. I'd always imagined him with that sly American accent from Empire "he's worth a lot to me". Those few short words aligned with my take on him being a space arl arse. It's all a bit lovey dovey here. I get why but it isn't my ideal. Tough shit.

Those kids on the gleaming scooters seemed straight out of some jazzy west end song and dance show, all clicky fingers and sparkle. Not exactly Tatooine. 

Fed up of that as a location as well, while I'm whinging. 

I'll keep watching because I'm Star Wars mad. Might warm to it. Fuck knows.

I'm really not sure about this series.

My gut says that Favreau is solo on this one, and I'm now thinking that The Mandalorian was mostly Filoni with Favreau simply being the figurehead lead to attract the funding in the first place.

I'm still kinda enjoying it, but that episode felt a big drop in quality from last week. The slowest chase since OJ vs the LAPD didn't help. He is the most spectacularly unthreatening crime boss. It kind of reminds me of a mid-2000s 360/PS3 GTA knock-off where you're told that you're some powerful big cog in the underworld, but then you spend all your time running the most menial tasks. The average gangster of the week in an episode of Minder who was menacing Arthur and Terry was scarier and had more muscle behind them than the 'Daimyo of Tatooine'. Then there's stuff like that scene where Toast of Tatooine is slowly explaining the gang structure of Tatooine, in the manner of Father Ted trying to teach something to Dougal, which makes Boba Fett look like he's really slow. This is after he already met them all at the start of the series. That scene really should have been in episode one. He was dead lucky that Wookiee decided to just throw him around for a bit like B.A. Baracus instead of shooting him in the face, after apparently being able to stroll right up to his bedroom, we know he didn't really have to fight his way in or anything as the entirety of his gang came to see what the ruckus was.

I watched the first episode of this and it's proper boring, nothing happens, nothing captures your attention, there's no real mystery or goal motivating the characters, unlike the Mandalorian, and the way it's shot feels off too. The guys who showed up to mildly inconvenience the main characters were ridiculous, just an embarrassing scene.

You just know there's gonna be an episode where he rides around on the Rancor looking all badass and weak willed idiots like me will start whooping at the screen and proclaim how awesome the show was, despite it being pretty turgid for most of its runtime. Only, I'm not going to fall for it this time. I just don't dig Morrison as Fett. As with most SW side characters, they're best left to the imagination, the personality you gave them when twatting two pieces of plastic together and shouting pew pew.

I'm glad people are enjoying the show and know I sound like a miserabilist, sorry. I think I'll keep any future expectations in check for anymore D+ shows about legacy characters. The idea sounded cool but I like the thought more than the execution. Fett to me will always be a stoic badass with not much onscreen development and who died in a daft way. American accent an all. Not some polite dimbo with the whitest teeth in the outer rim.

I won't bung up the thread anymore. Enjoy.

I've been really enjoying the first 2 episodes of this and I thought 3 was good for the most part, maybe I just can't resist the Tatooine setting...I can get a lot of enjoyment out of Star Wars, I really can :)

BUT

Space Quadrophenia did not fit visually at all, bikes nor characters compared to the tone of everything else...and it had the slowest chase! Might as well have been hover mobility scooters :D

However in the concept art in the credits they all look so much better

So what was the deal with Bib Fortuna?

spacer.png

Female twi'leks have always been sexy waifu bait for nerds. But Bib had a monster face. I always assumed that's just what the males looked like. But now they're just normal looking dudes with some colour make-up. Was Bib his species' equivalent of the Elephant Man?

It’s pretty hard to see this as the same Boba who smashed all those stormtroopers in the Mandlorian and even less so the Boba who out smarted Solo and back chatted Vader in Empire. 

I guess a lot depends on the next episode 

Spoiler

Presumably he will go to get revenge on the biker gang.

If he blasts them all mercilessly then feels bad about  after then that’s fine.

if he just kicks them up the bum and then leaves them tied up then there wont be much hope for the rest of the series. 

Latest episode kind of reminded me of the A-Team / village episode in the first season of the Mandalorian, pretty corny and a bit of a mis-step - but worth watching for the gangster AT-ST / Giant black wookie. 

Spoiler

Pretty ticked off about the fate of the Tusken Raiders after the brilliant second episode. I thought it had bust them out of their role as massacre fodder. The revenge should be good though. 

Danny Trejo really sold the Rancor thing. Hope he sticks around.