IGNORED

Resident Evil

Spoonman

I've not played a Resident Evil since Code Veronica on Dreamcast.

I have a PS3, 360, and PS4 at my disposal.

I read good things about RE4... should I start there? I think I played RE3 Nemesis back in the day, but TBH, I am not sure the story matters too much at this stage. 6 looks good but then I read poor reviews...

What games in the RE franchise do you recommend?

Remakes 1 and 2, RE4 and RE7 are the most essential. REmake 3 and RE5 are ok but low priority. Avoid 6.

Of the 4 essentials it's hard to suggest where to start as they are all quite different beasts to be quite honest. REmake 1 is the most traditional, old-school Resi. 4 is pure action. REmake 2 is a kind of halfway house between REmake 1 and RE4. 7 is first person and quite distinct from the others.

REmake and RE4 are god tier. REmake2 and 7 are S-tier. I haven’t played R3make yet, but I think my sister is getting me it for Christmas 8-) 

I have no compulsion to ever play 0, 5 or 6. I also really liked Code Veronica back in the day and think it gets quite a bad rep that’s been retconned by a lot of people who actually originally really liked it before The Discourse told them not to.

I played REmake2, REmake, 4 and 7 all this year, some for the first time and others were long overdue replays. The new stuff (2 & 7) was great and the old stuff (REmake and 4) still held up. What a fucking series man :wub: 

Play Resident Evil 4.

Then find some way to wipe your memory of doing so - a blow to the head, electroshock, hypnotism, whatever.

Then play Resident Evil 4 again so it’s as if it’s the first time. 

Repeat ad infinitum. 

The single greatest videogame ever made.

1 minute ago, Steven said:

If you haven't played 4 -get on that right away. For the sheer experience, grab a PSVR set for next to nothing and REVII - the highlight of the last gen for me.

As much as I love the series, that particular game and VR in general, I noped myself inside-out my arse even attempting that.

REmake 2 is definitely a good shout for the reasons outlined above.

What’s actually pretty great about the best games in the series (REmake, REmake 2, RE4 and RE7) is that they’re all really quite different to each other in terms of how they play. REmake 2 probably has a little bit of each of them in it and could almost be thought of as combining the best components from throughout the series in a sorta ‘Best Of’ compilation, despite not quite being in my god tier (REmake 1 and RE4 in there). 

REmake 1 and 4 probably represent the two best qualities of the series in their purest forms, with REmake 1 serving as the absolute pinnacle of classic atmospheric puzzle-based survival horror while RE4 is all-out, unrelenting exhilarating fun, with iconic set piece after iconic set piece.

REmake 2 maybe presents the best of both worlds, although more closely aligned with REmake 1 style puzzling and exploration, with a fainter hint of RE4 styling (over the shoulder shooting basically, albeit leaning more towards tension than the heroics of RE4, which don’t get me wrong, could also be as tense as all hell).

Basically, you can’t go wrong. REmake 1 perhaps demands a little bit more of your time, in terms of more backtracking and such. RE4’s controls / camera can take a bit of getting used to (since it was effectively inventing a new style of game that hadn’t really been seen or established yet), whereas REmake 2 is a proper slick modern gaming experience. No need to adapt into a certain specific frame of mind, as older games such as REmake 1 or RE4 can often demand.

But, again, there’s also the option of 7 which is like a fucking great return to RE1-type roots but with more accessible modern sensibilities and presentation.

I think REmake 2 or 7 would be your best bets.

I've never played resident evil 2 beyond the PlayStation demo disc!

The recent remake - I'm guessing I'd enjoy it without the nostalgia element attached to it?

If so I'm grabbing it today :)

Oh and is the standard version ok to get? Or Deluxe?

Re1 remake for classic Resi experience.

Re2 & Re3 remake for classic/action Resi experience. 

Resi 4,5 & 6 for action Resi experience.

Resi 7 for fps horror experience that goes to shit for the last two thirds.

Go through them in that order on your ps4 if you got the money & time or just grab 4,5 & 6 and play the best schlock action games ever made.

If you've never played 4 than you have got to play it, no questions just do it. Resi 5 is really good with a co-op partner and worth playing single player tbh. Now Resi 6 is Capcom throwing everything they have into a game including budget and not taking a step back to have a look at the bigger picture, it's a mess but I love it. Next to Resi 4, Resi 6 is my favourite, ignore the hate, jump in and master the deep controls and laugh at how stupid it all is. It has immense replay value and can be played in co-op too.

Tldr, I recommend Resi 4,5 & 6, I think they can be bought as a triple pack on ps4.

Edit: Indeed you can grab 4,5 & 6 from PSN on sale now for £11.99, bargain!

16 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I've never played resident evil 2 beyond the PlayStation demo disc!

The recent remake - I'm guessing I'd enjoy it without the nostalgia element attached to it?

If so I'm grabbing it today :)

Oh and is the standard version ok to get? Or Deluxe?

Not sure which system you’re looking at, but the Deluxe version is on sale on the PS Store right now, so I’d recommend it for that alone.

The only difference is extra costumes and the option to swap the soundtrack to the original - pure nostalgia, in other words!

But yes it’s a brilliant game even without that aspect. I think there’s a 2+3 pack-in doing the rounds now, too. 

Unanswered Resi questions - did 5 get hamfistedly turned into a coop game because after the first proper trailer dropped everyone pointed out that Aryan superman Chris Redfield gunning down hordes of black people solo was a touch racist?

Not that coop is 5’s only problem. It’s a game where it feels like the developers had ambitious ideas that they couldn’t make work on the PS360 tech so instead they had to revert back to a very uninspired rehash of Resi 4 with none of the quality design or charm.

Such a shame, because ‘Resident Evil in Africa’ was a wonderful concept. Probably the most let down I’ve ever been by a game that I played through to the end.

In the past I'd say Resi 4, it still is one of the best games ever. I played it back in the GC days and more recently on Switch and love it.

But I'd say RE 2 Remake, it's one of my games of the generation, it's just brilliant and has some of the best environment design I've ever seen in a game and some nice replay value.

I'm currently playing RE 3 Remake and really enjoying that too.

I've had RE 1 Remake on Plus for ages, I need to give that a proper go when I'm done with the above :)

I tried to play REmake recently and the controls completely fucked with my head. Which is weird because I completely smashed all the old school Resis in the day. So I'd say start with the remakes of 2 and 3, then the high watermark of action entertainment in any medium that is Resident Evil 4.

Funny you made this topic, because I just finished a play through of RE2 (PSOne Classic) on the Vita, and have followed it up with REmake on the PS4. They're both great, really, despite their age. I don't know if there is a franchise outside of Nintendo that contains so many excellent games, most of which are still worth going back to after all these years. 

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

I tried to play REmake recently and the controls completely fucked with my head. Which is weird because I completely smashed all the old school Resis in the day. So I'd say start with the remakes of 2 and 3, then the high watermark of action entertainment in any medium that is Resident Evil 4.

Did you try the alt control method? It’s much easier when coming from modern games, despite a handful of camera angles causing it to freak out on occasion.

9 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Did you try the alt control method? It’s much easier when coming from modern games, despite a handful of camera angles causing it to freak out on occasion.

That also fucked with my head, because it wasn’t modern controls, but it wasn’t Resi controls either.

2 hours ago, Spacehost said:

You can change the controls from non-tank, certainly on the PS4 version of REmake 1. I wouldn’t have been arsed to play through it this year otherwise.

19 hours ago, Spoonman said:

I've not played a Resident Evil since Code Veronica on Dreamcast.

I have a PS3, 360, and PS4 at my disposal.

I read good things about RE4... should I start there? I think I played RE3 Nemesis back in the day, but TBH, I am not sure the story matters too much at this stage. 6 looks good but then I read poor reviews...

What games in the RE franchise do you recommend?

Resi2 remake if you want to shoot a lot of stuff (it's a lot more actiony than it used to be) 

Resi7 if you want to creep around being scared with only one bullet in your gun. 

Contraversial opinion coming in.

Stick to the PS4, it's the best way to play these.

Resident Evil Origins is great for Resi 1. Old school handling. Fixed camera. Great game. Ignore Resi Zero on the same disk, it's dreadful.

Resi 2 remake is great. Resi 3 remake is great. Modern games polished until they squeak.  When you know where to go you realise how short they both are. Speedrunning Resi3 is awesome. 

Resi 4 is possibly the best game ever made on any console in any genre.  If you do nothing else, play this. Then unlock Mercenaries mode.

Resi 5 isn't great but on PS4 it runs at 60fps and is def worth a run through once.  No individual section is especially memorable but it's not bad overall and in multiplayer it works really, really well.

Let's come back to 6.

Resi 7 is awesome. If you get a VR headset you will not quite believe how outstanding it really is. Its first person and a bit of a departure but really good.

The Resi Revelations games are OK, but I see them as sideline games, not worth exploring unless you are desperate for more Resi fun. They are OK but not really comparable to the main series.

So Resident Evil 6 then.  A truly misjudged, terrible entry into the series that brings action cut scenes into the gameplay and ramps everything up to 11. Everything explodes.  The explosions explode.  It's absolutely off  it's head. Widely disliked on release it looks like Resi in screenshots but the tone is all wrong, the field of view was awful and yeah, it wasn't  great.  But in 2020 it's been patched beyond belief, ported brilliantly to the PS4, it's super smooth and has loads of extra content.  And I feel alone in saying that it's absolutely brilliant on PS4.  It's more like a fast paced Gears of War than Resident Evil, but it's brilliant in its own rigbt.  If they had released it as an original title with new characters with all the patches on day one it woud be regarded as an all time classic. There are 5 characters with short stories that intersect and each character offers their own abilities.  Chris is the most Resident Evil.

So in answer to your OP, if you only play 1 game, play Resi4, or the remakes of 2 and 3.  And if you see the capcom deal on PSN (4, 5 and 6 for 10 quid or thereabouts), snap it up, because it's a steal and you will enjoy 5 and 6 more than their reputations would suggest.  

I’d start with Resident Evil HD Remaster. Ditch the tank controls and put it in widescreen. The lighting and atmosphere is unreal. 

Next play RE4 - the best action survival horror ever. It just never lets up and stops giving. Controls takes a bit getting used to. It’s a long game hence I’d recommend starting with the shorter more focused REmake. 

Some great thoughts here, thanks all. Really interesting hearing everyone’s experiences like this.

I actually have PSVR but didn’t mention it as i didn’t know that RE7 had that mode, or was in First Person.

I’m just playing through Splinter Cell: Blacklist for the first time and forgot how good 360 games (and PS3) can look. 2 gens back now, but good controls (not “retro” really) and great graphics (my TV is 1080p). 

I’ll report back... please keep the discussion going as it’s rather useful and an entertaining read.