IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

One of the voices of my childhood, a commentator that everyone did an imporession of and mildly took the piss out of because you loved his enthusiasm and joy.

I've got a signed copy of his autobiography.  That voice even took over my inner monologue as I read it.

19 minutes ago, SeanR said:

was watching 1987 british GP highlights earlier, between testing sessions. Him and Hunt... :wub:

sad day.

Me too. I remember that race very well. Piquet fan so tears were shed when that bloody Mansell drove him off the track. Pretty sure his car was illegal too. Three extra turbos, maybe 5. 

I knew this day was coming. Maybe I was prepared for it, he’s had a few scares. I’m not as sad as I thought I’d be. I’m just happy he got to live a long and good life. Sharp as a button and mobile for the lions share of it too. He did it right.

Raises a glass. And a Niki doff of the cap.

Murray passing saddenes me, I always loved him commentating and his passion for motorsports of all types was excellent. His biography is worth a read. 

I still in recent years wished he wouod come back and do a wee one off during the British gp I'm sad this never happened and he's now gone. 

“I have got to stop because I have got a lump in my throat.”

RIP Murray 

Can't be too sad. We'd all be so lucky. Just robbed of him choosing retirement over that voice for the past two decades. :(

James Allen got on at one of the final stops from Nice to Monaco one year and sat down directly across from us and I vividly remember thinking "You're not Murray". Not to shame, just a moment of grieving reflection.

Bye Murray, you'll be missed.

Some excellent quotes stolen from RaceDepartment:

Some particularly impressive Murrayisms:

"Unless I am very much mistaken.... I AM very much mistaken!"

"Mansell is slowing down, taking it easy. Oh no he isn't IT'S A LAP RECORD."

"This is an interesting circuit, because it has inclines. And not just up, but down as well."

"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."

"The most important part of the car is the nut that holds the wheel."

"I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump."

"Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are absolutely zero now."

"And there's no damage to the car. Except to the car itself."

"That's the first time he had started from the front row in a Grand Prix, having done so in Canada earlier this year."

"How you can crash into a wall without it being there in the first place is beyond me!"

"Excuse me while I interrupt myself"

"And the first five places are filled by five different cars."

Watching the Mercedes over the last 10 minutes has been painful. Almost every corner the car is fighting Lewis. He’s sliding all over the place. This isn’t sandbagging, that car looks like a nightmare to drive. He looks like he needs to switch from simulation steering to normal.

No doubt it won’t take long for them to get on top of it and smash the opposition, but they aren’t having a good time of it at the moment. 

23 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Watching the Mercedes over the last 10 minutes has been painful. Almost every corner the car is fighting Lewis. He’s sliding all over the place. This isn’t sandbagging, that car looks like a nightmare to drive. He looks like he needs to switch from simulation steering to normal.

No doubt it won’t take long for them to get on top of it and smash the opposition, but they aren’t having a good time of it at the moment. 

There's was an interesting bit with Ted and Red Weasel (Horner) last night where Ted was asking about the "cheese shaped wedge" teams have had to cut off their floor and how Ted believes Mercedes were hurt the most by it and how the Red Bull seems unaffected due to them using the cars take to feed the rear wing and diffuser. Red Weasel did his usual thing of "you know more than I do" whilst grinning like a troll.