IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

Just now, rafaqat said:

biut we’d have had at least a bit more of an even fight on the last lap.  

There is no situation that puts Lewis having to pass Max for the win that they would have taken though.

Bear in mind if they did pit at the start expecting to be behind they're expecting to be behind him and all the lapped cars because like you say, there wasn't time.

You don't exchange "Leading" for that.

12 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Not the same thing. Countless sporting moments could be retold if taken to courts. Liverpool for example could have had another couple of titles, Sheffield United may not get relegated, Brady gets his team DQ'd from the AFC Championship game, etc, etc, etc

What you mean like when red bull complained about Lewis’s rear wing ? They should have just left that then? 

Watching Lewis' dad talking in his ear after the race made me think he was telling him to be classy, don't say anything incendiary in interviews that could jeopardize an appeal, and use it to motivate him for next season.

then again maybe he was saying 'fuck this shit, give those cunts hell' and Lewis thought he'd go all zen instead.

10 minutes ago, morcs said:

I think it's easy to say they should have red flagged in retrospect given what happened, not so easy to make that call straight away in the moment.

Agreed. If you’re going to switch shit up to make the end of the race exciting, at least take the time out to make a good decision that would hopefully put everyone on relative equal footing. Not make a snap decision that punishes a team that didn’t really put a foot as wrong as they ended up having to deal with.

I wonder if he regrets making it. 

1 minute ago, Scratchy Bollock said:

I think so. He's been genuinely  incredible and I'm a Lewis fan. But what a shame to decide a championship like this. 

I really didn't want it to finish under safety car too though.

I've not watched much F1 this year for a variety of reasons. I thought the drama at the end was great.

In all my years watching F1, a huge plus for me has always been that team strategy and decision making is key, not just the drivers. Mercedes were in a very tough spot and instinctively, I felt conflicted over pitting Hamilton or not, but felt like they made the right call. I also feel that, in hindsight, the race should definitely have re-started before the end of the race, with the amount of time they had to clear the car and debris.

I'm also partially annoyed at myself and Mercedes for not understanding that Masi would have done everything possible to not end the season behind a safety car, which would have been a far worse outcome for F1 than any other. Any result on the track is better than a title decided behind a safety car, from the perspective of the F1 management.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think we can all agree that Max deserved to win the championship this year though.

Through gritted teeth, yeah he deserved a championship this year. Phenomenal talent.  Just a few too many rough edges right now for me to like him but no denying he’s good.  

just not like this. Is going to be my motto for tonight. Going to step away and get on with some real life now I think. Being this annoyed with F1 isn’t a good thing ultimately for me.    

to next year and another great F1 year.  
Hopefully without the fucker Massi

9 minutes ago, morcs said:

I really didn't want it to finish under safety car too though.

Thing is, it doesn't have to, just don't let the lapped cars by, it's such an own goal.

I imagine the FIA will rely heavily on this.

48.8 With the exception of the cases listed under a) to h) below, no driver may overtake another car on the track, including the safety car, until he passes the Line (see Article 5.3) for the first time after the safety car has returned to the pits.

The exceptions are:

a) If a driver is signalled to do so from the safety car.

So Mercedes aren’t even bothering to go after the change of rule regarding the unlapping cars. They’re focusing on the safety car and racing lap issue?

Wise if so. Easier clean and cut. 

Not that it will matter. I doubt Lewis cares much about being retrospectively crowned champion tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

On balance, yes Max has driven superbly most of the time.  But as I said, I put this up there with Schumacher driving into Hill and Senna driving into Prost. 

Not because of the crashing but because it's a championship that has a taint about it. 

And we're completely ignoring a 2 race ban for absolutely nothing in 1994 then?