Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

18 minutes ago, McCoy said:

That's fair. 

I can live with Max winning having passed lapped cars. I'm sure there is precedent for not allowing cars to unlap themselves, particularly if there is not time to do it safely. If Max wins it that way then it is legitimate and it is just something that happens with safety cars. Ditto if they allow all unlapped cars to unlap themselves and Max wins. 

But allowing just some cars to unlap themselves and then rushing to pull in the SC leaves a sour taste. I think it just takes away from the integrity of the sport. Ricciardo for example, why on earth was he not allowed to try to gain places on the final lap - what on earth was Masi thinking taking a decision to penalise some cars for no legitimate sporting reason. Ricciardo ended up a lap down on the car in front of him for... reasons? 

Add to that the erratic decisions being reversed almost as fast as they have been made and it just seems so contrived. 

And whilst it doesn't really matter since Perez was behind Max, allowing the cars between Max and Lewis to disappear but not removing the cars between Max and third place is un sporting. Lots of times in a safety car restart the second place car also gets pressured from third place - not an option this time. 

Race control should not be making decisions based on that they think Perez won't overtake Max - he's a competitor and the rules allow him (or are meant to) the chance to try - or that Ricciardo's race doesn't matter because he's not in the top two. 

They need to be neutral. As soon as the referee stops being fair to all competitors then there is a problem. And I think that's the issue here - the events yesterday were not fair on so many levels. 

They sacrificed basic sporting fairness on so many levels to contrive a final lap showdown (and unlike a red flag situation didn't even ensure the cars were given the same tools in the fight). And the response? Well, despite 98 pages of rules and regulations actually the race director can do whatever he wants. Well, if that's the final rule then there's not much point having the preceding 98 pages. 

The worst part is that I think yesterday's race would have put a lot of first time viewers off the sport. People watch sport because anything can happen but always in the context of existing rules. A losing football team cannot suddenly play with a 12th player because they have shouted loudly enough. If F1 becomes anything can happen but with no rules it just becomes scripted entertainment which is basically how yesterday's race ended. 

Shit I'm wrong. Perez was out and it was Sainz who was in third place who should have been allowed a go at Max. 

It was contrived already but that realisation is even worse. There is simply no defending, in my view, throwing away all precedent and rules for a contrived ending which absolutely unfairly affects some cars over other cars. 

It's a shame that due to the unfairness of it all that we can't fully appreciate what was an incredible last lap. Incredible mainly because despite being a sitting duck, Lewis put up a fight that was truly astonishing and a mark of just what a legend of a driver he is. It was in many ways some of the best driving I have seen from him. 

Max had by far the easier task but he still had to execute and he did so extremely well, but I'd have loved to see Lewis hanging on. 

I see the tribalism is turning this into Max v Lewis and who had the most decisions in their favour rather than asking the bigger question of how and why Masi had to insert himself into everything this season. I know Whiting had his moments but generally he kept the teams at arm's length and never really became the focal point. Masi has been the complete opposite.

2 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

One way would be to have someone between the race director and the team principals so they don’t have direct access during the race. Also should those radio messages be broadcast?

I'm struggling to see any justification for the principals to be able to speak to the race director unless asked to do so by the director. In general it should be the race director telling the teams how it is going to be, with no discussion on the matter. 

Although that does require a race director who can be trusted. 

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

It's a shame that due to the unfairness of it all that we can't fully appreciate what was an incredible last lap. Incredible mainly because despite being a sitting duck, Lewis put up a fight that was truly astonishing and a mark of just what a legend of a driver he is. It was in many ways some of the best driving I have seen from him. 

Max had by far the easier task but he still had to execute and he did so extremely well, but I'd have loved to see Lewis hanging on. 

I also think Lewis could have kept his steering angle on corner entry and hit Max, and the outcome of that in terms of interpreting the rules wouldn't be predictable!

If Lewis and Max had have made any kind of outcome-impacting contact in that final scene, sorry, on that last lap, I would stake my internal organs on it being adjudged Ham’s fault and Max wins anyway.

I talked about FIA bias/stitch-ups after other events this year, and got told off for silly conspiracy-mongering. Sucks to be proven right.

2 minutes ago, mexos said:

I don't feel angry anymore. It's a weird feeling, like trust has been broken. If this is what it's going to be like going forward then what is the point.

This actually describes it better, I just feel really cheated. Like honestly what's the point in having a sky subscription, going to races etc if it's all gonna be scripted for the show. It's a total slap in the face for fans who've invested time, energy & money into the sport. No matter if your man won or not surely you can't be happy with this. 

It reminds me of Spa 2008 when they pulled a rule of their ass to take the win away from Hamilton. I’ve turned off all F1 content I normally follow and don’t even want to listen to the post race podcasts I usually enjoy because it’s such a fake ending. Maybe Max did deserve the title over the course of a season but the way he won it yesterday felt fixed although Hamilton having to avoid yet another Max dive bomb on the final lap summed up the season for me.

Maybe next year will remove the bad taste this had caused but I expect Max to continue with his bullshit and him to crash with Russell who won’t jump out of his way a lot next season.

53 minutes ago, McCoy said:

The worst part is that I think yesterday's race would have put a lot of first time viewers off the sport. People watch sport because anything can happen but always in the context of existing rules. A losing football team cannot suddenly play with a 12th player because they have shouted loudly enough. If F1 becomes anything can happen but with no rules it just becomes scripted entertainment which is basically how yesterday's race ended. 

This is basically where I'm at.

I'm not an F1 fanatic at all, far from it. I jumped on the bandwagon this season after watching Drive to Survive and then following the drama for each weekend. The races weren't so captivating for me; it was the stakes, the personalities and the tension between two heavyweights.

However, after seeing the end of the race yesterday - it might as well have been a WWE Pay-per-view. It was the F1 equivalent of the Montreal Screw Job. How can someone be ahead for the best part of 57 laps, have several cars and 11 seconds worth of daylight from second place, and then lose the race on the final lap due to, what I would describe as, malicious incompetence by those who are intended to be the F1 regulators?

I think it tee's it up nicely for a revenge story next season, but I definitely think that has taken precendence (feeding Netflix for global reach) over fair competition. As it stands right now though, I don't think I can take the sport seriously anymore. The history books will say Verstappen but I don't consider him the champion at all.

The other thing that’s boiled my proverbial this year, and especially around the third-act showdown, is the narrative, delivered endlessly by little Jack Horner, that Lewis and Merc are the evil empire this season, the Goliath of the sport, and wee Max and Red Bull are the underdog David, that only through a massive advantage in driver skill and pure pluck have a hope of taking it to the big bully boy.

Horner, cunt as he is, is still only doing his job, but the media loved this demonstrably false narrative, which I believe also fuelled the subconscious/ overt pressure on Masi and co to let the little guy get away with it a few too many times, and that reaction to the established (false) narrative paved the path to yesterday.

Oh, Coulthard last night tried to use Alex Ferguson as an example of how the managers in football don't get to tell the refs what to do like they do in F1, clearly showing how shit his knowledge of football is (and I'm only mentioning Fergie because that's who DC mentioned)

11 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I talked about FIA bias/stitch-ups after other events this year, and got told off for silly conspiracy-mongering. Sucks to be proven right.

I feel like I hear as much "FIA are biased against us" from both fans on both sides.

Just now, wev said:

Oh, Coulthard last night tried to use Alex Ferguson as an example of how the managers in football don't get to tell the refs what to do like they do in F1, clearly showing how shit his knowledge of football is (and I'm only mentioning Fergie because that's who DC mentioned)

I keep thinking of rugby vs football in terms of arguing with the ref.

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

The other thing that’s boiled my proverbial this year, and especially around the third-act showdown, is the narrative, delivered endlessly by little Jack Horner, that Lewis and Merc are the evil empire this season, the Goliath of the sport, and wee Max and Red Bull are the underdog David, that only through a massive advantage in driver skill and pure pluck have a hope of taking it to the big bully boy.

Horner, cunt as he is, is still only doing his job, but the media loved this demonstrably false narrative, which I believe also fuelled the subconscious/ overt pressure on Masi and co to let the little guy get away with it a few too many times, and that reaction to the established (false) narrative paved the path to yesterday.

Oh god yes, to hear the pundits and Red Bull talk you'd think they were some plucky little garage team taking it to the big corporate behemoth, that whole "Mercedes have more people in marketing than we have mechanics" line was laughable, the entirety of Red Bulls existence is to market a drink.

Hamilton really is the best, if only because at 200mph and having just lost a championship he captured in four words exactly what happened yesterday:

Verstappen duly passed Hamilton, who four corners from the chequered flag shouted: "This has been manipulated, man."

The comment was not broadcast on the world feed, but was heard on Hamilton's onboard channel on F1 TV.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/hamilton-felt-abu-dhabi-gp-was-manipulated-in-unplayed-radio-message/6880682/

As runner-up Hamilton is due to appear and speak to the media at Thursday's FIA prizegiving gala in Paris, while Wolff will represent constructors' champions Mercedes.

I'm guessing both Hamilton and Toto might be busy washing their hair that night. 

Yeah, woke up feeling annoyed by how it all transpired for the sake of entertainment. Even the drivers were confused reading an article on motorsport this morning. Certainly Ricciardo thought it would've been fair for Max to have to navigate through the back markers on that one lap, instead of Masi artificially creating that one lap to win it all.

Lewis and his dad showed incredible humility in congratulating Max and Jos I thought. Would that have gone the other way? I don't know, consider Max stropped off the podium the week previous.

7 minutes ago, mexos said:

I don't feel angry anymore. It's a weird feeling, like trust has been broken. If this is what it's going to be like going forward then what is the point.

I share that feeling.

Of course I wanted Max to win. First Dutch WDC and I'm glad of course, but I'm having extremely mixed feelings. Part of me was cheering like a loon, while another part went...

200.gif

Lewis had it in the bag. He was mega yesterday, and it took 2 Red Bulls to try and slow him down and even up until the last lap it looked they had failed to do so. I was cheering and punchin the air when Checo did what he did to hold up Lewis. But then I realised that even with their combined efforts, Lewis was still too fast.

So I had accepted that Lewis had it in the bag. He deserved the win. And then the SC happened. And then the weird decisions from the race direction happened.

Sigh. I dunno. The best man won, but I'm not sure if he was the best man to win.

The weird thing is that I don't think Masi deliberately wanted Max to win but I just don't understand why, in the biggest sporting event of the year for F1, he threw out the rules and precedent and decided this was the best solution was to do something clearly controversial. 

You kinda expect in the big events, world cup finals etc. that the referee will be so aware of not getting anything wrong that they will follow the rules to the absolute letter - after all, they don't care who wins they just want to ensure that they don't fuck up. It's weird Masi didn't have those same survival instincts. He was clearly absolutely flustered and likely out of his depth but in those situations surely the voice in the back of your head is just to do everything as per protocol. Now is not the time to invent a wheeze for any particular reason. 

There are so many comparisons to make but it is akin to in a Champions League final the referee deciding that the penalty spot should be moved closer to the goal because it is a good idea in the context of the single specific game being played out. 

Ironically, I am sure Masi has woken up today thinking what on earth has he done because there is really no way to justify the decision he took yesterday. Even the FIA can only basically come up with the line, well he can basically do what he wants. No one can actually defend the specific decision he took yesterday, and in the cold light of day I am sure even he is perplexed at exactly why he made the decision he made.