IGNORED

Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - #Michael Messy

T Pot

1 hour ago, Blue said:

"will Aston Martin dominate next season?" 

No.

Fucked if I know, but as always you’d expect the teams with resources to have a better chance. 

The romantic idea of a smaller team seeing something big in the regs the others didn’t is a possibility. Wins for an Alpine or Aston in the first few races? Sure why not. I wouldn’t see it lasting mind.

If a big team is the one to do it we could have a year of domination. In a way this feels to me like the most likely outcome next year. 

I get the feeling there maybe some early surprises - not because of some trick innovation but more some bigger teams may just drop a clanger or two with their car philosophy and end up on the back foot for the first few races but end up recovering pretty quickly.

6 minutes ago, mexos said:

No.

Fucked if I know, but as always you’d expect the teams with resources to have a better chance. 

There is always a chance someone sees something big in the regs the others didn’t - and that could come from anywhere on the grid. I’d be very doubtful that a smaller team could maintain an advantage found this way over the big teams mind. If a big team is the one to do it we could have a year of domination. In a way this feels to me like the most likely outcome next year. 

I get the feeling some big teams may just drop a clanger or two and end up on the back foot for the first few races but end up recovering pretty quickly. Maybe we see some 2012 mixed up winners in the first half of the year.

Ha, no I don't think AM will dominate. I wrote it quite badly. The video just started me thinking that these new rules just might be restrictive enough to actually level things out a bit. All their under floors should be very similar and it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of scope for fancy aerodynamics on the bodywork. 

Might be quite engine led? It would be amazing to see 4 or 5 teams fighting for the win. A man can dream! 

59 minutes ago, merman said:

The Mick Schumacher situation is odd. He’s reserve driver for Ferrari at half the races? 

Sounds very odd, but I suppose it’s just formalising things in advance in case they have a similar situation to Mercedes calling up Russel from Williams when Hamilton had coronavirus.

Yeah, Gio's the reserve driver but he won't always be there.  This is just formalising plan B.

The confusing thing is they haven't quite thought this through because Haas' reserve driver is also Gio, so if they lose Mick because Gio isn't available then they're going to discover the plan's small flaw.

5 hours ago, ryodi said:

See Max’s overtake on Sainz for how it’s done properly. You need to be alongside going into the braking zone. Max brakes much too late, completely misses the apex and leaves Hamilton with nowhere to go but the run off area. 

He might not take the natural apex, nor even the quickest apex, but he does hit the apex as you can see here:

3C741C1F-96EC-498F-A79D-7F6DD47006DF.png.cc6ae18787f2aa399f3d39857ce0d41b.png

Hamilton conceded the inside line, the obvious thing for him to do is brake earlier, or enter the corner later using the width of the track to turn allowing a later apex leading to faster corner exit speed than Max who would be properly slow with that ridiculous awkward line, except Lewis chooses to make a meal of it, do weird pretend to turn into Max thing and then take the run off to escape.

It was 100% a late lunge, but Lewis took advantage and got away with it due to the lack of wall.  Max stayed on track (only just) which should make it ok.

Unrelated to the above but what the hell happened to F1 social media. It’s just utterly foul & tribal and a huge turn off to the sport. It’s been “trumpified”. I’m genuinely starting to think I’m going to need to find another sport, I’m struggling to find much to love in F1 right now. 

Also totally unrelated & partly fuelled by COVID fever dreams & firmly wearing my tin foil hat, but i wondered if there was a certain amount of FIA related appetite from Brawn & Todt not to have Mr Schumacher’s championships bested as they are their own records to a degree. 

anyway BRB off to buy some vitamins from infowars. 

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

He might not take the natural apex, nor even the quickest apex, but he does hit the apex as you can see here:

3C741C1F-96EC-498F-A79D-7F6DD47006DF.png.cc6ae18787f2aa399f3d39857ce0d41b.png

Hamilton conceded the inside line, the obvious thing for him to do is brake earlier, or enter the corner later using the width of the track to turn allowing a later apex leading to faster corner exit speed than Max who would be properly slow with that ridiculous awkward line, except Lewis chooses to make a meal of it, do weird pretend to turn into Max thing and then take the run off to escape.

It was 100% a late lunge, but Lewis took advantage and got away with it due to the lack of wall.  Max stayed on track (only just) which should make it ok.

Exactly, Hamilton left him an acre of space and he made a move and hit the apex.

You know who DOES have a lot of space they're not using? Lewis. There's no need for him to go off the track, it was a calculated and successful attempt to retain the place.

1 hour ago, myoozikk said:

Also totally unrelated & partly fuelled by COVID fever dreams & firmly wearing my tin foil hat, but i wondered if there was a certain amount of FIA related appetite from Brawn & Todt not to have Mr Schumacher’s championships bested as they are their own records to a degree. 

anyway BRB off to buy some vitamins from infowars. 

Nah you can always market a record but a possible reason for said conspiracy (if conspiracy it be) would be to have a different champion, any champion.

But if that was the aim then you would have swapped the positions on lap 2 for just one example.

1 hour ago, myoozikk said:

Unrelated to the above but what the hell happened to F1 social media. It’s just utterly foul & tribal and a huge turn off to the sport. It’s been “trumpified”. I’m genuinely starting to think I’m going to need to find another sport, I’m struggling to find much to love in F1 right now. 

Yeah motorsport.com became a tyre fire this year.  Which is interesting because the MotoGP section has always been like that but now it's spread.

That said, if you think the tribal Lewis v Max fans are bad try Rossi vs Marquez.

10 hours ago, Blue said:

Is it too soon to start considering next season? 

Nope! As much as I convinced myself I was ready for a break from F1 I’m already at the point in the off-season where I resort to watching YouTube F1 game championships and using obscure F1 cars as my avatar on forums. Reckon some 2022 chat is juuust fine.

As for Aston… interesting. I hope they are competitive, as I’d love to see Seb fighting at the front again. It sounds far-fetched but rules changes have sprung some pretty surprising shuffles in the competitive order before so I wouldn’t rule it out.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Exactly, Hamilton left him an acre of space and he made a move and hit the apex.

You know who DOES have a lot of space they're not using? Lewis. There's no need for him to go off the track, it was a calculated and successful attempt to retain the place.

No he doesn’t, roll that on and max is where Lewis would be - there was a video that basically says Max didnt make the apex and never attempts to, he ran over the curb of the apex as he went in straight from miles back with a shallow angle - he was vastly slower than Lewis’s line who was making the apex but had to get out of the way. Its a Max tactic, let me past or we crash - its not on the racing line and the only way he makes the pass is if the other guy jumps out of the way or slams the breaks on mid corner to avoid max hitting them.

7 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

No he doesn’t, roll that on and max is where Lewis would be - there was a video that basically says Max didnt make the apex and never attempts to, he ran over the curb of the apex as he went in straight from miles back with a shallow angle - he was vastly slower than Lewis’s line who was making the apex but had to get out of the way. Its a Max tactic, let me past or we crash - its not on the racing line and the only way he makes the pass is if the other guy jumps out of the way or slams the breaks on mid corner to avoid max hitting them.

That’s how overtaking works. 

9 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Nope! As much as I convinced myself I was ready for a break from F1 I’m already at the point in the off-season where I resort to watching YouTube F1 game championships and using obscure F1 cars as my avatar on forums. Reckon some 2022 chat is juuust fine.

Hey.

HEY!

You will not disrespect Modena like that.  You will disrespect them for all the other reasons they deserve it!

9 hours ago, GwiDan said:

That’s how overtaking works. 

This, not allowing people their preferred racing line is absolutely part of virtually any overtake than isn't a DRS draft fest. The block pass is basically day 1 of overtaking tuition.

Eh, F1 drivers complain, its the one bit of consistency throughout the grid, they're all hypocrites that are as interested in getting each other in trouble as they are in pushing the limits on racing etiquette. IT's only highlighted with Verstappen because his Dads a prick, his team principal is a prick and seemingly everyone at the team who gets a mic shoved in his face is also a prick.

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

Hey.

HEY!

You will not disrespect Modena like that.  You will disrespect them for all the other reasons they deserve it!

A fair point about not disrespecting them - there is that ol' saying about those in GLAS houses etc etc...

(I'm more proud of that joke than I have any right to be).

Oh, and just seen on Twitter that Max is the first World Champion since Niki Lauda in 1984 who never got to race Michael Schumacher in Formula One. That's a bit mad, isn't it?

35 minutes ago, Dudley said:

image.thumb.png.b4f805340f6bafece2afed5990dc17b4.png

He's got a point, after all last time the regulations changed Mercedes had a big advantage in the early races of 2014 and that vanished in...

*checks notes*

Oh.

That’s what the “race” director job is there for, Dudley. You start doing anything that management doesn’t like, and they insert some additional zombies.