Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!

T Pot

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

He undid the nut, did up the nut, then forgot the next step. Sat staring at it for a lifetime, then when told he was the fuck up, went back to step 2 and did the nut up again instead of pressing the button to say the nut was done up. 

Well he's gonna be scraping the used tyres for the next few weekends!

7 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Yeah what happened there? It didn't look like a technical failure, it looked like he forgot something. Someone tapped him on the shoulder to go again.

Red Bull had an automatic system then the FIA clarified it has to be manual and the guy was waiting for the automatic signal when everyone else was waiting for him to push the button.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Mind you, who wouldn't be fucking incandescent with rage when a guy whose job is to undo a nut, do up a nut, then press a button, can only remember two things in that sequence. 

image.png.8f1baba85d47b0229a1d2aca315cdc68.png

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Max has been in F1 for nearly seven years and is one of the most experienced drivers on the grid, he’s not in his early days anymore despite his young age.

Indeed, when Senna had been in F1 for 7 years he was..

*checks notes*

Oh yeah, deliberately taking out a championship rival in a 150mph corner and boasting about it.

10 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

I think the reason for a lot of Max's somewhat less-than-ideal aspects (which are offset by the fact he does seem like a genuinely good dude) can be explained by one thing.

Max-Jos-Verstappen-getty.jpg

Today you will pass Lewis on the outside at the Rettifilo chicane, ok kid? 

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

*checks notes*

Oh yeah, deliberately taking out a championship rival in a 150mph corner and boasting about it.

This gave me a hearty chuckle, thanks.

13 minutes ago, SMD said:

Verstappen's comments on BLM and his twitter follows/likes put me off him as a person.

He does that "simply, simply lovely" thing as well which is ladz bantz, and puts me off him too.

10 minutes ago, morcs said:

He does that "simply, simply lovely" thing as well which is ladz bantz, and puts me off him too.

Seb used to do Crazy Frog so yeah Max gets a pass on this one. 

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

*checks notes*

Oh come on, he was a fucking jedi at that shit before he even got to F1.....

and that's just uncanny really.

1023.jpg

Max is an odd case, he's been in the sport for years but as we say, still within the age band where drivers get considered "young" and not fully formed.

There really hasn't been any other driver like him, dropped into a top team from day 1 at such a young age. Except Lewis, who went straight to McLaren, but Lewis was 22 when he started in F1, not 17.

So, it's really hard to apply concepts such as "maturity", nebulous as they are, to him. Should he be driving as we expect a driver in his 7th season to do, or like a 23-year old?

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

I think the reason for a lot of Max's somewhat less-than-ideal aspects (which are offset by the fact he does seem like a genuinely good dude) can be explained by one thing.

Max-Jos-Verstappen-getty.jpg

Pos’d for pointing out Jos is a total scumbag which isn’t going to help. I know at Max’s age I was a right wing asshole due to my old man being a full on Thatcher supporter. So it’s not impossible that there is a decent person hiding under the influence of his old man. 

Before the wheel gun would automatically send the signal to the traffic light that it was done which is seen as too much automation. Now ad far as I know little light appears on the gun when the wheel is tightened up which means the mechanic presses a button instead to confirm which adds the human factor. I think muscle memory failed him in this pitstop.

3 minutes ago, RFT said:

Max is an odd case, he's been in the sport for years but as we say, still within the age band where drivers get considered "young" and not fully formed.

There really hasn't been any other driver like him, dropped into a top team from day 1 at such a young age. Except Lewis, who went straight to McLaren, but Lewis was 22 when he started in F1, not 17.

So, it's really hard to apply concepts such as "maturity", nebulous as they are, to him. Should he be driving as we expect a driver in his 7th season to do, or like a 23-year old?

I think "more mature than any other person his age" would do it?

8 minutes ago, RFT said:

It’s a good point, he is unique. 18 months at Torro Rosso and then the number one driver at the main team as soon Danny Ric left and Red Bull is one of the most unforgiving environments on the grid. He’s also a Dutch superstar and not one of many drivers of the same nationality like Hamilton so his countries focus is always on him.

It’s funny that if he does win it this year he’d only be a few months older than Hamilton was when he won his first and did it the first time

he had a car capable of winning it.

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

It’s funny that if he does win it this year he’d only be a few months older than Hamilton was when he won his first and did it the first time

he had a car capable of winning it.

Lewis just had Alonso as a teammate in his very first season and missed out by the slimmest of margins. Max has Sergio and is the teams absolute number one.

47 minutes ago, RFT said:

Didn't they even change the super licence criteria to stop it happening again?

I know we're all fixated by the on track action and the closest inter team battle for championship that we've seen in years. But there's a much more important championship to look at. 1st second and 3rd are pulling away now, with over 200 points between 1st & 4th? Have we got our championship contenders decided already, or could we see some surprise switches as the season enters into the last couple of months racing.

The Rllmuk Fantasy League:

#1 - ADC 7UP - 2,634
#2 - We Say No to Mazepin - 2,509.5
#3 - Flow VIz - 2,505.5
#4 - Formula Fondue - 2,414.5
#5 - Ferrariroquai - 2,405
#6 - Danny Ric's Right Foot - 2,399
#7 - Papaya Maldonado - 2,339.5
#8 - Pink Mercedes - 2,329
#9 - Tracing Point - 2,328.5
#10 - AlT Super Team - 2,324.5
#11 - A Stroll In The Park - 2,319.5
#12 - Scuderia Corranga - 2,295.5
#13 - LowCostMonkey Racing - 2,237.5
#14 - Wevverari - 2,227
#15 - Peter Team 1 - 2,221.5
#16 - Ed Team 1 - 2,195
#17 - Footling 1 - 2,165.5
#18 - Alfarelli Minelli - 2,162.5
#19 - Sir Box-a-Lot - 2,121
#20 - Mabawsa Racing - 2,050
#21 - Team Blue - 2,039
#22 - What's Verstappenin' - 2,017.5
#23 - Scuderia Sidewaysbob - 2,006.5
#24 - TEAM MEX SP WDC 2021 MEX MEX MEX - 1,969
#25 - Pogo Racing - 1,943.5
#26 - il_postino - 1,827
#27 - Junior Mint - 1,796.5
#28 - jonathanhoey1981 - 1,706.5
#29 - Scuderia Rosso - 1,634

I made a jump up from 10th or so to 5th because I deployed my second Mega Driver on Max at Zandvoort, which worked out nicely. A lot of people below still have a Mega Driver left to use, though, so suspect I might drop back down again.

Definitely don't think I am repeating my runner up spot from last season :) 

2 hours ago, GwiDan said:

Having the mechanic press a button to confirm the wheel is done up seems less safe than an automatic torque sensing system on the gun. 

Yes but don't you see, Red Bull was good at pitstops....

1 hour ago, RFT said:

And since he's come up, to save everyone the trouble, Senna was 23/24, i.e - Max's age now.

Given the shit he was still pulling at 30 you might want to buckle in for the rest of Max's career.

One thing is for sure: he will carry on like this as long as his bosses are Christian Horner and Helmut Marko. We saw with Vettel how the environment at Red Bull could make even a decent guy act like a totally spoilt child. They will never reel him in or criticise him and Max will hence never feel like what he's doing is wrong.

Despite the penalty yesterday I am still seeing it as both of them having some blame. It's the inevitable end result of not only the championship battle and their own pride, but also this frankly bollocks practice of squeezing drivers out and leaving it up to the other party to avoid an accident. They're all guilty of it - every single driver on the grid has done it, and it's been a common practice since the days of Schumacher. I remember what Schumi did to Montoya on lap one at Imola in 2004 and how much of a 'thing' it was and how much controversy it generated. These days people would hardly bat an eyelid at it (for those not familiar, link is below although it won't embed as it's on the official F1 channel).