Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!

T Pot

8 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

He wanted to win at any cost. 

'They' wanted to win at any cost. You don't recruit Tom Walkinshaw to win championships in a squeaky clean manner. All the rogues were in one place.

I wonder if Ross Brawn will ever spill the beanz?

The reason I never liked Schumacher wasn’t simply because he was a ruthless cheat but far worse he never admitted he was cheating….. at least with Senna he told you pre race he was gonna take you out and then took you out ;)

The Schumacher Ferrari years will be forever tainted by the fact they had an unlimited budget and testing, its like the dominant Chelsea years…. no one really cared they won it as it was pure financial doping - the narrative that Schumacher took a struggling team and turned them into world beaters is hardly a fairytale and more akin to a Russian billionaire story.

Hakkinen was a better driver who simply wasn’t as driven as Michael to win at (literally) no cost and at least Hamilton has done all his wining in a mid range funded team ;) 

They werent the underdogs the documentary paints them as though. It's an okay watch, but it's not nearly critical and informative enough, anybody coming to it knowing his records and knowing the general beats won't learn anything new and I actually think it does him a disservice because Schumacher was so fast, so clinical, so competitive and so controversial that everybody had him as the marker to best. And that includes the years he wasn't successful, it also jumps from that first championship for Ferrari, to the end of that five year period and then jumps again to his retirement.

There's no Hakkinen-Schumacher Spa battle, none of his battles with Montoya, none of the sheer madness of what went down throughout 94.

I got properly into the sport around the time he arrived, and being a British kid was always wanting someone else to win because of the whole jingoistic/xenophobic way that our press treated him (that I was too young, too uneducated, too working class to understand at the time), but I think you show someone that documentary that wasn't there then and they won't leave with any idea of just what F1 was like in that period nor the impact Schumacher and Ferrari had on it 

I can believe the doc wants to be pro-schumacher so will put the best light on those years it can.

That said, that they were dominant is still remarkable given the chaotic management tendencies of Ferrari for... well basically the entirity of both of our lives apart from that one period.  A lot of their advantages are as true now as they were then and yet their only drivers title in 40 years other than Michael is the one Kimi Raikkonen slightly lucked  into and their only other constructors title in 38 years came from McLaren overreacting to the above and hiring the beta version of Bottas to drive alongside Hamilton.

I do have a lot of respect for Schumacher for being able to, along with Todt, Brawn, and Byrne, nullify Ferrari's toxic management for loing enough to dominate the sport, and it does show up how other drivers went there thinking they could do the same thing but couldn't overcome it. (Kimi's championship year was really still getting the benefits of the schumacher crew's years before they fully reverted to type).

That's really what puts him on a level above Alonso and Vettel, (and Prost, while we're talking about multiple-champions who couldn;t overcome Ferraris culture) more than just championship count.

34 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I can believe the doc wants to be pro-schumacher so will put the best light on those years it can.

That said, that they were dominant is still remarkable given the chaotic management tendencies of Ferrari for... well basically the entirity of both of our lives apart from that one period.  A lot of their advantages are as true now as they were then and yet their only drivers title in 40 years other than Michael is the one Kimi Raikkonen slightly lucked  into and their only other constructors title in 38 years came from McLaren overreacting to the above and hiring the beta version of Bottas to drive alongside Hamilton.

And the documentary would have been far better if they'd have leaned more into that than they did. Because we all know why Ferrari don't deliver on their heritage and resources and yet for a period of time they were and Schumacher was a big part of that.

I do sometimes wonder what would have happened if Irvine hadn't have bottled it in 99...

What they should have done:

• Create a strong hero's journey arc (with his failings + redemption) from what they knew of the events we all saw and their discovery / research.
  • Pick out key moments and bring them to life with insights etc we've never heard before.
  • Go and find the unseen, most cinematic footage that supports it. 

What I think they did:

• Go and speak to the family members and do general vox pops talking about  Michael through the years
  • Grab some low quality broadcast footage + family snaps to roughly intercut where necessary.
  • Bung it all together loosely in chronological order.

They clearly watched the Senna doc - as the very start feels very much like it. But after a couple of minutes you realise it's not doing the same thing at all. They took the bog standard, low effort route and it shows.

I liked it more than @mexos did, but I think after a relatively strong start it does lose its way a bit.  

I wonder if there's a much longer edit somewhere, but someone decided it needed to be cut down to a 1h45 feature length. A lot of it does feel brutally rushed, and narratively it's a total mess. It's like it assumes you're totally familiar with his career on track, which is a bit of a reach given that it's going back almost 30 years. 

I still enjoyed it overall, both for the home-video stuff that I'd never seen before, and for the new footage of Corinna and Mick talking about Michael. (And Gina, though honestly I don't think she adds much of substance). But it's very far from perfect.

I'm sure they forgot about the time he tryed to kill Rubens at hungry by squeezing him almost into the pits. 

I enjoyed the doc but it was always going to be a guarded view and a narrative that the family wanted. I respect his wife and the other family members for working to ensure he gets a level of privacy he always seemed to want. 

Max has a three place grid drop and i imagine they'll take the new engine this round too. So unless Perez does something amazing this will be another Merc benefit gig. I predict Valtteri will be asked to move over with less than 10 laps left to go. 

18 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Max has a three place grid drop and i imagine they'll take the new engine this round too. So unless Perez does something amazing this will be another Merc benefit gig. I predict Valtteri will be asked to move over with less than 10 laps left to go. 

Is Sochi a good overtaking venue? I thought it was a bit of a tough venue to overtake.  A three place grid drop is bad but still provides some opportunities for overtaking at the start or through pitstops. Starting right at the back though....

18 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

To be lapped, yes.

1 minute ago, layten said:

:lol:

Chances of a slow Ham getaway and losing a place? 

Chances of a fast starting Max gaining positions off the starts and being on him after the drag to the first corner?

KA-BOOM.

Just now, Sidewaysbob said:

He always goes well here and i don't think he gives a fuck anymore. He'll make them tell him to move over.

He's still a paid employee. Pretty sure he'll want his leaving presents - an F1 car, AMG-One etc... 

The final sector of Sochi had a load of off camber corners like Abu Dhabi that makes it very difficult to follow closely on the pit straight. If Max does start at the back I expect him to make good progress then get stuck behind the McLarens.

Bottas is already openly talking about being out of the championship and having to support Lewis this year so I cant see him needed top brass on the radio ordering the swap if its needed.  It will be a real shame if he does have to give up a win though, he might not get another chance.

Look who's going to calling the shots at AM. He'll be above Otmar.

image.thumb.png.2fca09239ee0f1ae200222f24e566702.png

Interesting choc ice choice. I always liked Martin, even if he was kinda the architect of Mclaren's downfall. Not that he could know it at the time. 

Hey Ross, oh really? Thats awful. Yeah, yeah we have exclusivity. Well I'd have to... Ok, sure why not I'll let Norby know. No worries Ross. Ron? Nah, don't worry he'll be fine with it. It's not like you are going to be beating us is it!