Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!

T Pot

Max getting told to give the place back after Hamilton had been doing it all race will be the main thing RB complain about. But he gained a place he was always going to get a penalty,

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

He's gone.  He must know he's gone.

Like even if Hamilton retires, what's the point in keeping him, it's not like the car knowledge will transfer to 2022 in a serious way.

Get Russell and pick someone else, almost anyone else. If Tsunoda keeps driving like that grab Perez, he won't be worse.

Just buy out his contract now, get George in and we might have a fight this season.

1 minute ago, jonathanhoey said:

He literally got on the phone to whinge at the end, saying he would rather have kept the illegally-gained place and taken his chances pulling out a lead greater than the penalty. He’s not mature, he’s a dickhead.

Yeah, as much as people bemoan Mercedes winning there isn’t anything better than deflating the egos of Horner and Verstappen especially when they have a faster car 

4 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

He literally got on the phone to whinge at the end, saying he would rather have kept the illegally-gained place and taken his chances pulling out a lead greater than the penalty. He’s not mature, he’s a dickhead.

Nah, that's smart thinking.  Very Schumacher actually.

He's wrong though, he clearly didn't have the tyres left to get those 5 seconds.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Just buy out his contract now, get George in and we might have a fight this season.

I would genuinely bet they tried.

1 minute ago, mexos said:

Who’s the best?

Max: Loses one

Sergio: Gains 15

SP WDC CONFIRMED 

Max 1 - 0 in qualifying and 8 points ahead in the championship. Everything on schedule. ;)

3 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Perez was outstanding to be honest. 

I think Perez, Lando, Tsunoda and Mick should all get credit for outdriving their situation.

After that initial fuck up, Mick very calmly made up 20 seconds on a better car and pressured it into a mistake, not bad for race 1.

Perez's charge was great.

And Tsunoda could have paniced after essentially fucking qualifying but he drove a mature race as a rookie and has points as a reward.

EDIT : Oh and Lando very much beat his new Billy Big Bollocks teammate, which is a very useful start.

Without wanting to be too negative after that finish the track limits thing was utter bullshit once again (not for the pass but for consistency over the race). Lewis over the radio literally saying he's been exceeding the limits all race and he didn't even know the were any! Even though times were deleted consistently in qualifying and practice, we didn't see one warning throughout the race, whereas we have in previous races for the exact same stuff. No one knows where they stand or what they're allowed to do or get away with. Total shambles, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Great drives from Norris, Perez and Tsunoda. Handy drives from Stroll and Russell too.

Interesting that Lando bossed Danny Ric. Maybe the latter had floor damage from the tap with Gasly early on.

13 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Oh no, I've never heard another driver give a whiney entitled heat of the moment message ever, it must just be Max who's the dickhead. Hamilton definitely didn't complain when told that he should stop exceeding the track limits. That was actually an exciting race so I hope Mercedes don't fix their car and every race can actually be enjoyable to watch.

Starting to take a real disliking to Bottas, he’s moaning that the team gave Lewis the preferred strategy.  Lewis was the lead Merc , of course he gets the stop first.  He always has a go that it’s someone else’s fault these days, and even when he did win last he rolled out his ‘to my critics f you’ line despite being gifted the win.

3 minutes ago, John0 said:

Without wanting to be too negative after that finish the track limits thing was utter bullshit once again (not for the pass but for consistency over the race). Lewis over the radio literally saying he's been exceeding the limits all race and he didn't even know the were any! Even though times were deleted consistently in qualifying and practice, we didn't see one warning throughout the race, whereas we have in previous races for the exact same stuff. No one knows where they stand or what they're allowed to do or get away with. Total shambles, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

There is a difference between going off and going off to pass someone though, the regs do say "Sustained advantage".

But yeah I do agree, I would steal the "Long lap" thing from motogp, use sensors and make them do it (losing 3-5 seconds) literally any time they went 4 wheels off.

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Starting to take a real disliking to Bottas, he’s moaning that the team gave Lewis the preferred strategy.  Lewis was the lead Merc , of course he gets the stop first.  He always has a go that it’s someone else’s fault these days, and even when he did win last he rolled out his ‘to my critics f you’ line despite being gifted the win.

He's bottling it, simple as that. I imagine he's been told as much.

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

There is a difference between going off and going off to pass someone though, the regs do say "Sustained advantage".

But yeah I do agree, I would steal the "Long lap" thing from motogp, use sensors and make them do it (losing 3-5 seconds) literally any time they went 4 wheels off.

Yeah not talking about the pass at all. But we have seen penalties for repeatedly going offline even in non-passing situations. Which Merc admitted to doing for the first half (at least?) of the race. So how is anyone supposed to know whether that will be enforced or not? Also the literal race winner saying mid-race that he didn't understand the limits is a bit ridiculous in a sporting sense. We really need firm and easy to understand rules that are consistent across the races and applied consistently.

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Lewis was told over the radio to stop going off track and that the team have had a word from officials about it. 

But by that time everyone not doing it has lost a not significant amount of time up until that point. Especially in a race that came down to a few tenths over the whole thing.

I think it’s pretty hard on Max if I’m honest looking at those replays. Lewis was allll over that part of the track all race. 

IMO the rule should be consistent. If you can’t use that bit of the track normally you can’t use it to overtake - and vice versa. And stay consistent all race.

10 minutes ago, mexos said:

I think it’s pretty hard on Max if I’m honest looking at those replays. Lewis was allll over that part of the track all race. 

IMO the rule should be consistent. If you can’t use that bit of the track normally you can’t use it to overtake - and vice versa. And stay consistent all race.

But he wasn’t after he was warned, you can’t blame Lewis for doing it when he hadn’t been told off and then say Max can do it after Lewis was told off esp when it was clear Redbull complained to the stewards to get Lewis on the naughty step.

The stewards should of course have been enforcing the rules from lap 1.

Could swear Sky just placed Tsunoda 10th when he came 9th. He must have passed Stroll on the last lap or two, but for once kind of understandable we missed it :).

That interview with him was great though! Awesome addition to the grid.

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

But he wasn’t after he was warned, you can’t blame Lewis for doing it when he hadn’t been told off and then say Max can do it after Lewis was told off esp when it was clear Redbull complained to the stewards to get Lewis on the naughty step.

The stewards should of course have been enforcing the rules from lap 1.

Oh for sure. If you can get away with it you do it. That’s what F1 is all about, in the racing, in the design of the cars.

The stewards have a lesson to learn with regards to track limits. Just have a hard rule in place for all races and that's that. I don't understand what they are achieving by allowing going outside the track limits at some GP weekends and not others, never mind allowing it within some sessions of that one weekend and not others, and then in this case allowing it for half the race distance before enforcing it! So weird and a bit embarrassing. 

Other than that what a cracking start to the season!

I dont think Bottas did too badly. Without the pit stop mistake he would've been 5-10 seconds behind the leaders. That's decent enough for a number 2 which is what he is. Not many will get that close to those two. Maybe Russell, but it could unsettled Ham.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - No refunds for you!
  • Kryptonian changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA - Can we be nice?