Formula One 2021 - DRAMA

T Pot

13 hours ago, marsh said:

Every champion needs it's perfect chumpion. Patrese and Berger were the very peak of them during this era.

Yeah but… I wouldn’t dump Berger in with that group. He’s not a number one for sure but he’s a very capable number two. He can bring home the points and not be 1000 miles off the number one guy. He can pick up the win if the number one doesn’t.

Also the number one guy he had to contend with was… pretty good more often than not.

Berger is number two+. :blah:

3 hours ago, mexos said:

Yeah but… I wouldn’t dump Berger in with that group. He’s not a number one for sure but he’s a very capable number two. He can bring home the points and not be 1000 miles off the number one guy. He can pick up the win if the number one doesn’t.

Also the number one guy he had to contend with was… pretty good more often than not.

Berger is number two+. :blah:

Thinking about it, he was possibly the perfect wingman, much like Patrese. He'll be a comfortable second, might even win at the right track when there's nothing to play for. Rubens was the same. A calming, neutral influence on the other side of the garage. Chumpion, just don't get aspirations like Webber did.

Gerhard had two problems:

1) He was in the same equipment as Senna

2) He was in the same equipment as Senna after a point in his career where he'd had a particularly nasty shunt that probably took the racing edge off of him.

End of '87 into '88 he was very much seen as the man to bring the glory days back to Ferrari.

Speaking of nasty shunts, I have a feeling that once again we're all (myself included) a bit blasé about them.

A lot of it is the Hans device, which is obviously very old news by now. You look at Stroll and then Verstappen both going suddenly nose-first into the wall at north of 300km/h (or Rosenqvist in Saturday's Indy GP). All of those are essentially the same impact that killed Dale Earnhardt and however many others. Without the Hans device I don't think any of those guys are walking away from those shunts, and yet we all sort of treat them like they ain't no thang. 

I don't know where I'm going with this. Cars are too fast, maybe. Pirelli caught in a no-win battle where the FIA tells them to make tyres degrade artificially soon, but NOT LIKE THAT. 

You've got a short memory, 9 times out of ten I'm not sure Roman get's out of the Haas. Incredibly different circumstances when if's and buts come into play. He was unfathomably fortunate.

There will be other big offs. it's the nature of the beast, the law of averages suggests someone else may not be quite so fortunate as eliminating such things is impossible.

Surely the era of using tyres that fall apart has to come to an end soon, it makes no sense financially, ecologically, and makes Pirelli look shit. 2022 cars should be more even so it's unnecessary.

Pirelli statement on the tyre failures: 

https://press.pirelli.com/the-reasons-behind-the-tyre-failures-in-baku-identified/

Milan, 15 June 2021 | 19:47

THE REASONS BEHIND THE TYRE FAILURES IN BAKU IDENTIFIED

PIRELLI TO WORK WITH THE FIA TO IMPLEMENT PREVENTATIVE MEASURES IN FUTURE

Pirelli, in conjunction with the FIA, has completed the analysis of the left-rear tyres involved in the incidents that affected Lance Stroll and Max Verstappen during the recent Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

This analysis also took in the tyres used by other cars in the race, which had the same or a higher number of laps on them compared to the ones that were damaged. The process established that there was no production or quality defect on any of the tyres; nor was there any sign of fatigue or delamination. The causes of the two left-rear tyre failures on the Aston Martin and Red Bull cars have been clearly identified. In each case, this was down to a circumferential break on the inner sidewall, which can be related to the running conditions of the tyre, in spite of the prescribed starting parameters (minimum pressure and maximum blanket temperature) having been followed.

As a result of this analysis, Pirelli have submitted their report to the FIA and the Teams. The FIA and Pirelli have agreed a new set of the protocols, including an upgraded technical directive already distributed, for monitoring operating conditions during a race weekend and they will consider any other appropriate actions.

So... The tyres weren't defective. The cause of the failures was the "running conditions" of the tyre, even though the teams followed the pressure and temperature stipulations. Clear as mud.

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - I'm not saying it was you, but it definitely wasn't me
On 16/06/2021 at 00:31, jonathanhoey said:

Pirelli statement on the tyre failures: 

https://press.pirelli.com/the-reasons-behind-the-tyre-failures-in-baku-identified/

So... The tyres weren't defective. The cause of the failures was the "running conditions" of the tyre, even though the teams followed the pressure and temperature stipulations. Clear as mud.

I remember a couple years ago Red bull pissing and moaning about tyres and it turned out they had put the most camber on their wheels out of all the teams or something like that.  These teams push every limit they can.  That press release is basically code for, "it was the way these particular teams had configured stuff that meant more stress on certain parts of the tire" 

here we go

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/pirelli-points-finger-at-red-bull-over-spa-tyre-controversy-4449422/4449422/

Speaking to the BBC about how he felt, [Newey] commented: "I have to say, it is one of the scariest races I have been involved in ever. It is heart-in-the-mouth stuff, because first and foremost our duty of care is to the drivers' safety, and you are trying to make that call or making sure the car is safe while not excessively handicapping ourselves from a performance point of view.

Fuck off Newey, you were given the choice to not go with the camber you chose. You chose performance over safety.

Red Bull has form for being dicks on tyres.

Yeah. The Race did quite a good video about it:

The gist is that it looks like both RB and Aston Martin passed the pre-race compliance checks but were running the tyres well under pressure in the actual race, probably by taking off the blankets immediately after the pressure measurement then deliberately letting the tyres cool right down before going out on track. 

They also go into the fact that the constant inevitable fluctuation in tyre pressures means it’s not as simple as just feeding the TPMS readings live to the FIA.

Can Hamilton keep up with the Redbulls down the Mistral straight then. Will they have to trim it out and pray Lewis can hang onto it in the twisty stuff.

Will Bottas throw the rest of his toys out of the pram before FP2 ?

MIck Schumacher has already hit the wall which is impressive in the car park that is Paul Ricard. 

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Can Hamilton keep up with the Redbulls down the Mistral straight then. Will they have to trim it out and pray Lewis can hang onto it in the twisty stuff.

Will Bottas throw the rest of his toys out of the pram before FP2 ?

Mercedes issue was the 90 degree or tighter corners on street circuits. This circuit is a lot closer to Barcelona so they should be close to Red Bull on pace alone. 

• T Pot changed the title to Formula One 2021 - DRAMA