Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round

13 minutes ago, Halkyon said:

Unfortunately the car buying public is convinced that large expensive wheels with skinny uncomfortable tyres are cool. Don't get me started on the amount of plastic fake vents and diffusers. :rolleyes:

And exhausts 

I love racing and I do like some cars but I don’t get car buying culture, never have. Everything is so expensive. I couldn’t ever imagine spending even 10 grand on a car. All the cars I like are considerably more than that so I gave up on having another one a long time ago. 

GT Sport and hiring a nice Jag or Audi once a year to burn up the autobahn will have to do. 

20 hours ago, Halkyon said:

Unfortunately the car buying public is convinced that large expensive wheels with skinny uncomfortable tyres are cool. Don't get me started on the amount of plastic fake vents and diffusers. :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, GwiDan said:

And exhausts 

I currently drive an MG5, which is the most unremarkable-looking car you could imagine: 

mg5_1000.thumb.png.129b5e4abcc2f8f304ad1687f2436b57.png

Someone on the MG5 owners' group on Facebook keeps advertising this product which apparently their business sells: 

163598574_3896665503721436_1019990948386484004_n.thumb.jpg.8dd8ceaaeeaa7d695b32bb0bddfac2ee.jpg

That's right: a plastic pseudo-diffuser with fake exhaust ports... for your electric car

On 04/04/2021 at 20:46, Halkyon said:

To be fair, your avatar is literally a pointless decorative component on a car, and a metal, weighty one with delicate chrome plating at that ;)

Cars have always had fake styling cues, I'm not sure it makes much difference if it's a completely decorative item, or a decorative item that looks like a real thing.

Many classics will have bits with negative effects, splitters, wings and spoilers causing lift are much worse.

Some random examples:

The left hand vent on the Elise S1 feeds the air filter, but the right hand one is just a hole because symmetry.  

The Jensen Interceptor FF has 2 vents on the wing side to disguise the fact it's 4 inches longer than the normal car.

The late Countach has a wing that's specifically designed to give no downforce as they found it caused front axle lift.

My Mini Cooper S has a fake bonnet vent because the bonnet vent is a feature of older Mini's that was used to identify the Cooper S and it makes it look more aggressive.

The oversized wheels / rubber band tyres, I completely agree on, way too much form over function (you missed out additional unsprung mass ruining the handling), I'm willing to bet most people don't even realise.

3 hours ago, Corranga said:

To be fair, your avatar is literally a pointless decorative component on a car, and a metal, weighty one with delicate chrome plating at that ;)

[...]

The oversized wheels / rubber band tyres, I completely agree on, way too much form over function (you missed out additional unsprung mass ruining the handling), I'm willing to bet most people don't even realise.

The bonnet handle? I use it almost every time I need to open or close it, although I could just be handling the paintwork directly I suppose.

As you say (and others may not be aware) in most cases, from what I've read, even with alloy wheels the larger wheel and smaller tyre will be heavier. This might not be true of super lightwreight bonkets expensive magnesium whateverthefucks but the majority of alloys are barely any lighter than steels. This matches my anecdotal experience from lugging all sorts about.

Exchanging compressed air and a bit of rubber for metal means:

• Acceleration gets worse.
  • MPG gets worse.
  • Noise gets worse.
  • The handling is stiffer and braking distance and sustainable lateral g force might be marginally better if the tyre compound is right.
  • The handling will be less progressive so the car will 'snap' more suddenly when losing traction due to said stiffness and reduced sidewall deflection.

As an F1 engineer was recently quoted as saying - it's objectively an inferior option but it's happening because of "relevance" to road car sales trends.

Interesting missed apex podcast interview with Stewart Mitchell, deputy editor of Racecar Engineering magazine, talking about the current discussions and proposals for the F1 regulations for 2025. Efficiency and sustainability are understandably forefront in the considerations. What is currently proposed:

1. Engines will be staying as hybrids.

2. Engines will be 800Kw units with a 50:50 split between ICE and electrical. This equates to a 500HP electrical component compared to the current 160HP.

3. 4-wheel energy recovery system a definite, with possibility of 4-wheel drive also. If 4WD is to be utilised, a discussion will be needed to determine the % split between rear and front axles. Front axle deployment could be speed dependent as it is in LMP1 where it is activated over 125Kph. Front diff' would be a spec' part.

4. Active aero under consideration.

5. Plan to develop E fuel from CO2 taken from the atmosphere with goal to have a closed loop product combining the CO2 with hydrogen and oxygen derived from water to have a net zero carbon fuel production process with wind and/or solar being utilised for the high energy requirements of production.

6. Hydrogen fuel also under discussion.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

That's at least partly down to 2 cancellations to be fair.

On 06/04/2021 at 12:23, Blue said:

It's way too long between the first and second races. :(

Yep, I was thinking that the other day. Whilst understanding the reasons, it is definitely not the best way to start the reason with a three week gap between the first and second races. I'd have been slightly tempted to stick in a second Bahrain race to keep the momentum going. 

Old news now, but it's looking like Silverstone, Monza and Interlagos for the sprint races.

@mexos what do we do in our Sergio loses heavily to Max in qualifying bet for grand prix with a sprint race? Do we count qualifying for the sprint race and the sprint race results or just the sprint race? I assume, if there are to be points awarded for the sprint race, we count them in the Sergio fails miserably to finish within 100 points of Max in the championship bet?

33 minutes ago, Blue said:

Old news now, but it's looking like Silverstone, Monza and Interlagos for the sprint races.

@mexos what do we do in our Sergio loses heavily to Max in qualifying bet for grand prix with a sprint race? Do we count qualifying for the sprint race and the sprint race results or just the sprint race? I assume, if there are to be points awarded for the sprint race, we count them in the Sergio fails miserably to finish within 100 points of Max in the championship bet?

Hmm, difficulty increases. 

What you've suggested probably works in your favour but I am full YOLO on this already so yep lets do it.

Friday qually counts for qually numbers.

Saturday race points count towards drivers points tally.

shakeee.jpg

There was such a massive backlash back in 97 when they refused to budge the Italian GP weekend times to avoid a clash with Dianna's funeral. So they are probably keeping that in mind this time whilst simultaneously not keeping in mind that, and I mean this with no disrespect to the Duke of Edinburgh, the pubic don't really hold Diana and Philip with equal revere and of course the circumstances of their end was less of a shock to the country. So the backlash would have probably been subdued if at all. Nonetheless, moving the start time of qualifying by one hour hardly seems like the end of the world all things considered. 

10 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

There was such a massive backlash back in 97 when they refused to budge the Italian GP weekend times to avoid a clash with Dianna's funeral. So they are probably keeping that in mind this time whilst simultaneously not keeping in mind that, and I mean this with no disrespect to the Duke of Edinburgh, the pubic don't really hold Diana and Philip with equal revere and of course the circumstances of their end was less of a shock to the country. So the backlash would have probably been subdued if at all. Nonetheless, moving the start time of qualifying by one hour hardly seems like the end of the world all things considered. 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fia-bans-t-shirts-from-f1-podium-ceremonies-after-hamilton-demonstration-4978668/4978668/

Radio Canada has announced that the Canadian GP in June has been cancelled:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1785146/grand-prix-formule-1-annulation-sante-publique-covid

It’s in French but the gist of it is that the region’s public health authority isn’t prepared to accept the risk of all of the international arrivals, and the thousands of unavoidable contacts they would necessarily have with people outside the travelling circus. Even for a closed-doors event with no fans.

Then at the end there is some stuff about how the circuit has a contract with F1 until 2029, but after cancellations two years in a row, this may be taken by F1 as a breach of that contract so the future of the event is not clear.

Balls :(

Although if they do replace it with Turkey then it's less of a blow.

Will it give CodEAmasters enough time to add Istanbul to the recently (today infact) announced 'F1 2021 - Devon Butler's Revenge'?

Edited by LowCostMonkey
1 hour ago, marsh said:

Stroll buys circuit.

You read it here first.

He’s already selling his other Canadian circuit, so it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round