Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round

There is absolutely an argument you make your own luck and I don't think it's doing any other aspect of his career down to say I can't think of someone luckier overall.

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

There is no denying, Hamilton has been reasonably lucky in his racing career. The number of times its all gone wrong only for a pace car or red flag to mitigate the damage. 

Apologies for banging on about Germany 2019 but in that race Hamilton and Bottas had near identical offs in turn 1. Bottas ended up in the wall and Hamilton managed to dodge it by milimeters. 

Mazepin incidentally, 24 seconds behind Mick already with no obvious mitigating factors.

And remember, Mick has a history of being bang average in his first year in a car.

Ignoring that I believe he shouldn't be close to having the opportunity, the contrast with Bottas' attempts to pass anyone and then getting taken out by a Williams passing HIM is the poster child for why only one Mercedes driver is ever winning a title.

12 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

There is no denying, Hamilton has been reasonably lucky in his racing career. The number of times its all gone wrong only for a pace car or red flag to mitigate the damage. 

I wonder if he could pick some lottery numbers for me :)

True but you still need to make your luck too. Could you see Bottas doing this recovery drive?

5 minutes ago, ryodi said:

If Hamilton gets P2 he’s got the result he was heading for after the over cut failed.

True, but shame to have missed out on the scrap that was shaping up - looked like Ham was closing in quickly on Max until the error

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round

Ant Davidson on Hamilton:

"...and ends up where he would have been if all things had been fair"

What you mean if he hadn't driven off the road entirely of his own doing, then gained a whole lap due to the red flag :rolleyes:

Ric coming to McLaren has really ignited something with Lando. He would have known he’d need to step up and boy has he. He’s been super impressive.

36 minutes ago, Corranga said:

It's the equivalent of letting lapped cars overtake when the safety is out. It's a stupid rule that shouldn't really exist, they should just leave them laps down.

The problem is that you can’t have cars all running together on track but on different laps because of the blue flag system.  If a car is a lap down they would be blue flagged and it would be impossible for them to un-lap themselves until the field had spread out and there and a few seconds between each car which might not happen.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think Lewis could have won that. Ominous signs that Merc are still favourites.

I think it’s beautifully poised. I can see it going back and forth all the way to the end.