Formula One 2021 - You spin me right round

I liked Toto's statement when asked if he would be talking to George. Something like "I've told George he can be in a Mercedes at some point if he's good, or he can be in a Renault Clio if he's not. Right now he's in a Renault Clio."

Isn’t it Claire Williams fault he’s not in the Mercedes this year, she wouldn’t let him out of his contract for 2021 because he added valid when she was selling the team?

It’s weird to think that at one point last season Russell looked like he was losing his seat to Perez and wouldn’t even have a drive this season.

6 minutes ago, marsh said:

I think it says alot about Bottas if he thinks George can beat him in a clio.

;)

It stays a lot about Bottas that if there was 10cm more tarmac on that part of Imola, he probably would have.

15 hours ago, Dudley said:

They wouldn't need to move over within 3 marshal stations and a faster driver could actually unlap themselves as opposed to the farce now where the faster driver unlaps themselves and immediately gets blue flagged and has to let them through again.

As for not knowing, they've got radios but you could have advisory blue flags.

Incidentally this system is really close to Indycar's.

And actually if you saw the Indycar race this was illustrated late on.

Spoiler

Palou on Daly.  If there was F1 rules, Daly would have had to move over but since there isn't Palou had to make the choice to use up fuel he was short on in order to force a pass on the "overtake" button.

Palou had done a pitstop less and was trying to stroke it home, behind him he had a Penske with plenty of fuel on a charge and closing to a second behind. It could have decided the race.

Daly of course knows late race SCs can always be a thing so isn't inclined to just move over.

So Palou is behind him for multiple laps (and ultimately never made the pass), with 3 other cars closing on him by tenths a lap.  But it's part of the skill and it made a race that would have just been Palou mostly cruising home into quite the spectacle, but one decided by driver skill.

3 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Isn’t it Claire Williams fault he’s not in the Mercedes this year, she wouldn’t let him out of his contract for 2021 because he added valid when she was selling the team?

It’s weird to think that at one point last season Russell looked like he was losing his seat to Perez and wouldn’t even have a drive this season.

With them switching PSU's next year, he's going to have to make a tough decision. Williams appear to have found a decent aero guy, the issue will be around the PSU in the back of the car....stick with them or swan off to a merc team?

Mercedes don't have a strong incentive to replace Bottas when:

• They win both championships every year
  • He doesn't ruffle feathers in the team / with Lewis
  • He doesn't have a habit of smashing cars up too often

If they miss out on the constructors this year because he's a bit shit then it might be a different story

True, but they have had the rug pulled from beneath them before. 

They need a rock solid plan for if Lewis wakes up one day and just says thats it, I'm retiring.

Lewis / Bottas + best or second best car = You'll win probably WDC and WCC

_______? / Bottas + best or second best car = You might not win either. 

I think even the most remote of remote chances of Rus and Bot in the Merc at the same time died a death yesterday. Not the smartest of moves from Rus to let his mouth go. 

The idea of Bottas becoming a WCC burden is remote imo but real. He can't have too many races like Imola.

George has released a Toto mandated apology 

Not sure about him saying it was in the heat of the moment when he was still repeating his tin foil hat conspiracy about Bottas treating him differently after the race had finished. 

Its possible for someone to stew for a while after things have gone against them, just because he's back in the paddock doesn't mean he's had a chance to calm down.

6 hours ago, Nick_L said:

Mercedes don't have a strong incentive to replace Bottas when:

• They win both championships every year
  • He doesn't ruffle feathers in the team / with Lewis
  • He doesn't have a habit of smashing cars up too often

If they miss out on the constructors this year because he's a bit shit then it might be a different story

Hamilton might have been able to keep the lead into turn 1 last weekend if Bottas had been there instead of back in the pack. Ham got pincered in the end and had nowhere to go, it really makes a big difference and I will think Verstappen has the better teammate this season.

I'd bet Mercedes will regret not changing up this year, but maybe they have half an eye on 2022 already.

Rllmuk 2021 Championship Standings:

#1 - Danny Ric's Right Foot
#2 - Tracing Point
#3 - ADC 7UP
#4 - Mabawsa Racing
#5 - Alfarelli Minelli
#6 - We Say No to Mazepin
#7 - Papaya Maldonado
#8 - AlT Super Team
#9 - Peter Team 1
#10 - Flow VIz
#11 - Pink Mercedes
#12 - A Stroll In The Park
#13 - Scuderia Corranga
#13 - Ferrariroquai
#15 - LowCostMonkey Racing
#16 - Scuderia Sidewaysbob
#17 - What's Verstappenin'
#18 - il_postino
#19 - Footling 1
#20 - Formula Fondue
#21 - Ed Team 1
#22 - Team Blue
#23 - Pogo Racing
#24 - Wevverari
#25 - TEAM MEX SP WDC 2021 MEX MEX MEX
#26 - Junior Mint
#27 - jonathanhoey1981
#28 - Scuderia Rosso
#29 - Sir Box-a-Lot

Has anyone actually worked out Kimi's penalty? 

Even the Stewards seem bemused at having to give it. 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikkonen-loses-points-after-post-race-imola-penalty/6334393/

Something about not regaining places lost under safety car restart and thus should be having to go through the pit lane, even though it is a rolling start?

And this in the same race when Perez was penalised for retaking places under a racing car safety situation. 

So both safety car situations, both 'rolling starts' but one was a continuation of the race and one was a race restart but for the continuation of the race you cannot regain lost places but for a race restart you are almost mandated to regain lost places or be forced to go through the pit lane for... reasons? 

Very bizarre. 

That is quite confusing but I think the implication of it is there is a difference between a safety car period during the race (Perez) and a formation lap (Kimi).

The confusion coming from Kimi's scenario being a formation lap for the restart of a race that happens to be a rolling start instead of a standing start, so it looks and feels like a regular safety car period. I think that regulation needs cleared up...

1 minute ago, Wallace said:

That is quite confusing but I think the implication of it is there is a difference between a safety car period during the race (Perez) and a formation lap (Kimi).

The confusion coming from Kimi's scenario being a formation lap for the restart of a race that happens to be a rolling start instead of a standing start, so it looks and feels like a regular safety car period. I think that regulation needs cleared up...

Yeah, you can kind of see it if the 'restart' was a standing start which means the car needs to get back into position for the grid or restart from the pit lane. That makes sense. The fact that the same proviso applies to a rolling 'race restart' is the problem. It should just be that if it is a rolling safety restart you cannot regain lost places (regardless if it is a in race safety car or a race restart safety car) but that if it is a standing restart you have to regain lost places or start from pit lane. 

It raises the question on what on earth would have happened if Leclerc had over taken Max during his mini off. I think during the situation we all thought that Max would have just lost the places of any cars which had overtaken him but in reality would it have been that he would have had to get up to the front of the pack or go through the pit lane and drop to dead last? 

I'm almost sad that Leclerc didn't overtake Max just to see the almighty fuck up that would have ensued afterwards with regards to this regulation. F1 was very close to a massive own goal regarding that one. 

I've really enjoyed Jolyon Palmer's analyses over the past year. Here is his take on the Bottas/Russell incident.

I dunno, it looks a bit Silverstone, a bit, Suzuka and a bit Monza. I'll reserve judgement until we see some racing on it. 

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

Jim Broadbent drove a sim layout of it and the basic conclusion is "Ain't no fucker passing on this thing without mega DRS".

With straights this long that's pretty much what they should have.

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

Jim Broadbent drove a sim layout of it and the basic conclusion is "Ain't no fucker passing on this thing without mega DRS".

jim... broadbent?