IGNORED

Edge #354 | Silksong

Mr Do 71

8 hours ago, deKay said:

The fuck

Don't worry, they just transposed the game's framerate into the score field.

On topic, I'm sad to note that my copy of Edge seems to be coming in late for me - I'm very keen to read about Silksong, but looks like I'll have to wait until Monday at the earliest! I'm also curious to read about Tenderfoot Tactics; I've had it on my wishlist for a while, and the review might tip me over the edge into actually buying the thing.

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Don't worry, they just transposed the game's framerate into the score field.

I don't get all these people saying it has framerate issues. Yeah, in two player mode, but not in single player. And even f there were, the 3DS version of the original was really bad for it and didn't affect the gameplay at all.

On 31/12/2020 at 11:28, moosegrinder said:

If anyone is out buying this physically can they get me a copy? I'll pay postage whenever it's safe to go to the post office with it.

Same problem with retro gamer. I suspect the appalling service of magazinesdirect or scalpers (there's plenty on eBay at three times the price) are to blame. Probably both.

That 7 for Cyberpunk is fair.

I have put nearly 160 hours into the game now, I fucking love it - I haven't been this absorbed by a game since the likes of Mass Effect and, in particular, Skyrim (edit: Destiny as well but that's a very different type of game). But I shouldn't have to install mods to make the game actually playable (better car driving - without the mod the cars are an absolute abomination to drive). I shouldn't have to drop the game to easy to counter the ridiculous swings in difficulty. I shouldn't have to expect to drop down every ladder I climb first time, and then climb again hoping this time I'll make it.  I shouldn't be left bewildered as to why the car I was driving suddenly explodes at a certain point on the map*. I shouldn't have to keep switching between subtitles on and off in the menu when someone isn't speaking my preferred language. I shouldn't expect my headless body to slo-mo walk into the shot when in photo mode. I shouldn't expect to have to reload a save because conversations appear to visually and aurally stop despite subtitles continuing to show. 

I could go on! The fact I have, and continue to, put so many hours into the game is testament to the quality of the game outside of these issues. 

*The following is supposition on my part, but it's the only logical explanation I can come up with to explain my suddenly explosive car. At the bottom of a highway exit road, a load of Maelstrom (they're a faction) goons have blockaded the exit with parked cars. I stole one of those cars and went about my business until, a little while later, I happened to be travelling toward that area again, and my car suddenly exploded while going through a tunnel, killing me instantly. A quick reload and I'm back in my car - I get to the same point in the tunnel and … BOOM! WTF?!?!? So I reload again and get out of the car a little before the point I know my car will explode, and walk a little further along the tunnel … BOOM! Only this time I am safely away from the car … okay. I continue on through the tunnel and come out where the blockade is, or should I say was. All their cars had exploded and were on fire. Now this is where my logic comes in, I reckon those cars are scripted to blow up when you get near that area a second time. So the game does a check on all cars that are scripted to blow up, and blows them up - of course, that fucking includes the car I was in and driving at the fucking time. :rolleyes:

Mine only came the other day (Monday I think? What is time) so I'd give it another day then get in touch.

This new MagazinesDirect thing is a shitshow. I ordered a single issue of the Xbox Series cover at the same time as sorting out my subscription and they just never sent the thing. Took three emails for them to understand what I was asking them about, each needing five to seven days for a response. I know better than to be surprised by Future but you'd have thought the idea of building a new webstore would be to make something better than the one you had before, eh.

It's a terrific issue, and a wonderful sign-off from Jen. Few nice little secrets here and there too.

12 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Mine only came the other day (Monday I think? What is time) so I'd give it another day then get in touch.

This new MagazinesDirect thing is a shitshow. I ordered a single issue of the Xbox Series cover at the same time as sorting out my subscription and they just never sent the thing. Took three emails for them to understand what I was asking them about, each needing five to seven days for a response. I know better than to be surprised by Future but you'd have thought the idea of building a new webstore would be to make something better than the one you had before, eh.

This is precisely (I'm not kidding, it's exactly the same) as my experience. In the end I bought one off someone on here and got a friend on Twitter to get me the new issue because I couldn't get anywhere to buy it. On release day some rando newsagents in scotland was selling them for £10.50 a pop on eBay.

I've now subbed because a)hopefully by the time the first issue I've subbed for comes they'll have pulled their finger out (doubtful) and b) I wanted that 8 bit do controller.

I started a sub a few months ago and was informed that the February issue would be my first issue. Thought it was a bit weird it would take that long but there you go. I thought I'd clicked on a new sub for 3 months but nothing's arrived yet and when I look on the website it says my copy has been delivered and I have 0 issues remaining. From reading here I assume it's just a shit show? 

That Cyberpunk review seems spot on to me. I love the game so far and it seems laser-focused on showing me things that utterly thrill me, but the balance is all over the place. At the moment, my character has a gun that shoots round corners, another one that sets people on fire, a steel pipe that does more damage than a double-barrelled shotgun, and about ninety healing items - the gangs I go up against don’t even know what’s hit them, it’s like putting Robocop up against the Bash Street Kids. The story and world are good enough in themselves that it’s not a huge problem, but it still feels weird playing by self-imposed house rules to stop it becoming too much of a cakewalk. 

It takes more time to sort through and dismantle the bric-a-brac I pick up after a gunfight than it does to clip the previous owners. That’s not right. It’s an astonishing game, but you can tell it’s lacking that final 10% of tweaking and polishing. 

On 31/12/2020 at 16:12, Made of Ghosts said:

Honestly expected lower for Cyberpunk. I thought they might slap it with a 4 to rustle some feathers. 

Is the awards thing to be taken as an ordered list? A Dreams/Hades top two seems right. 

A 7 seems ridiculously low for my money - I’d give it a 9 without a doubt, and maybe even a 10.

And that’s because if it didn’t have the bugs  in it then it should probably get a 15, so I’m taking off a fair few marks there - even though I’m playing on Stadia so haven’t had a sniff of the bugs / issues @Thor has listed - mine are mainly limited to seeing occasional floating objects, and once I couldn’t look up or down.

I do however pretend that any NPCs doing the T thing are part of a weird sect on the odd occasion I see them. Praise the Sun!

It’s also worth observing that C2077 has the best writing / characterisations of its universe for any game I’ve ever played -which of course isn’t saying much, considering the medium.

But there are so many decent lines, even from NPCs that might never even see an interaction, it’s quite mind boggling.

I’m treating it like a walking simulator with guns at the moment. It’s pretty stunning on those terms alone, but I can’t help wondering what it would have been like if the challenge was a bit more consistent. 

10 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

This new MagazinesDirect thing is a shitshow. I ordered a single issue of the Xbox Series cover at the same time as sorting out my subscription and they just never sent the thing. Took three emails for them to understand what I was asking them about, each needing five to seven days for a response.

Yeah, I stopped using them a few months ago. Buying my magazines off eBay at the moment, but I won't be getting magazines at £15-20 forever. Gonna give MD another go come Spring, and if it's still as bad as it is right now, than I suppose I'll stop buying magazines altogether.