What games did you complete? 2021 Edition

1. Kentucky Route Zero
What do you say about this? Probably loads once you really get going, but no time for that now. The best brief thing to say is that it's not like anything else I've played before. I mean, it's not a game, is it, or even a walking sim? More like an interactive theatrical production, but also a bit like a novel due to all the text. It's fascinating, and not just for being weird, which it definitely is, but for being properly surreal in a way that brings out the strangeness of everyday (American) lives. And for being playful with your perspective and your role, ensuring that you're always taking part in the story, not just a spectator, even when there's not really much to do.

I did think it was a bit too stretched out though, especially in parts 3 and 4. Not enough to break up the endless conversations, no matter how well written they are. But even then, it's interesting to think about that in terms of how the game branched out over time between episodes and got more ambitious. I think it would have been a different experience again to play it in pieces, as originally intended.

My last post in the 2020 thread was saying that I was playing Assassin's Creed: Valhalla that never wanted to end so inevitably...

01/01/2021 - Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

A strange but ultimately enjoyable entry in to the series this one. While definitely weaker than it's predecessor in most facets (world, characters, stealth gameplay) it did have a few nice ideas mixed in that kept me playing until the end and the story was pretty damn good. Story and ending spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

I really liked the idea that the Norse pantheon were Isu and that their story had been passed through legend to become the Gods they were thought of. Not as keen on the passing of their essences to future bodies storyline but the devs made it work quite well. 

The ending though was a bit of a damp squib. The story just kind of... stopped without a decent payoff(Norse or Present Day) and a message appears saying "Nice one. Now do all of the side shit you got bored of 20 hours ago." I know the AC series has a maddening habit of finishing game story in DLC but even by their usual standards this one is a bit JohnTravoltaLookingAroundConfused.gif.

England was definitely nowhere near as interesting as Egypt or Greece but had a few nice moments especially at the Southern and Northern extremes of the map. Eivor is not a bad protagonist but is very one-dimensional and, of course, can't escape the shadow of the awesome Kassandra. For me the most baffling decision was the nerfing of the birds abilities making scouting and absolute chore most of the time and making stealthfully clearing our an encampment far more trouble than it was worth most of the time.

So all in all a step back in most ways for me but an interesting story kept me pushing to the end long after I'd got bored of stacking stones for meaningless skill points. Interested to see where they go next as you feel this story arc is coming to an end.

06/01/2021 - Streets of Rage 4 (Normal)

As a kid I loved sideways scrolling beat-em-ups like Golden Axe, and I would happily shovel coins into any arcade machine I found. I've never played the original Streets of Rage games and the only modern comparison I have is Double Dragon Neon (which is a far more goofy game with an awfully grindy upgrade system but great fun nonetheless - "What is this? Some kind of lab?" - looking back at the graphics though I much prefer SoR4).

The music is great, the art style is gorgeous and it's just a wonderful game. My Hard attempt with Blaze stalled on Stage 6, so I started again in Normal with Cherry and blasted through until the final level where I had to pile on the extra lives and stars to get through. Fuck those fat dudes. 

I want to finish my Hard run and to get better at the game, but I have no idea how to use the defensive special and Blaze seems terribly slow compared to Cherry. I'm going off track again. 

Great game and I hope to see more beat-em-ups like this. I tried Battletoads briefly and it wasn't anywhere near as fun.

05/01/2021 - Vostok Inc. (PC)

A cross between a twin-stick asteroids clone and idle clicker titles, there was fun and frustration and boredom to be had here in equal measure.

Fun, because there's something quite satisfying about the flying around and shooting asteroids and enemies and those little hits of endorphin when you get enough cash to upgrade something.

Frustration because of nearly everything else, not least the teeth-gnashing anger of when an enemy spawns right on top of you so you can't escape and destroys your pathetically-weak ship, losing you all those middle managers (each of which gives a 3% profits bonus) which may have take a not-insignificant time to accumulate (the most I lost was about 20 in one go :angry:). Not only that, it is a title that pads out very little content through some awful - but obviously intentional - design decisions which neither respect your time (because unlike a traditional idle game, progress is only made when you are in-game) nor offer significant rewards in your quest to accumulate cash.

The most egregious of these is the fact that you have to physically travel between each and every planet (and then system) in order to build something for no good reason other than padding. This is made even more annoying by the fact that each later building in the chain earns you so much more than anything before it, you don't even necessarily need to build any of the earlier stuff. To balance this out there are upgrades to the earlier buildings which increase profits of others (so there's a level of interdependency at play) but you could easily beat the final boss without really putting much effort into working out what is best next to buy - especially due to the aforementioned travel you have to endure if you want to min/max things.

And then there is the boredom. I don't know how long I spent actually playing in total, but I hit a wall on it (buildings-wise) on Sunday so for the past 2 days I've had it on in the background whilst I worked slowly accruing cash which I would periodically spend on buildings. The amount of cash you get for killing enemies or destroying asteroids renders those activities pointless, so it becomes a game of waiting until you have enough cash to open the boss fight, win and then move to the next system to do it all again. Suffice it to say, this is not exciting.

That, then, is it. There's no great hook to keep you actively doing anything once you've seen the 'Congratulations' other than wanting to unlock the remaining building (I finished it with the last 3 or 4 still way above my cash level) and wanting to see the numbers go up (and I guess some people like that).

Despite that sounding a bit negative, I did have some fun with it in small bursts and, because I just left it running to effectively cheese my way to the earnings I needed to open the final boss, the lack of respect for my time wasn't as bad as it might've been had I wanted to try and play it 'properly' and become an intergalactic property tycoon. If nothing else, it was a lot more interactive than most other idle games I've played.

Previously completed:

Spoiler

02/01/2021 - Call to the Sea (PC)

01/01/2021 - Suikoden (PS1)

Gris (PS5) - If you were to be critical of this indie platformer you could perhaps accuse it of being a little bit style over substance, especially for the first half where the platforming is very basic. But my word what tremendous style it has! It is undoubtably one of the most beautiful games I've ever played, with silky smooth movement/animation and a frankly outstanding score by Berlinist. It has an enigmatic narrative that feels almost like a sister piece to things like Journey which I also hold so dear. And as the game gets going it does introduce some nice ideas and a few interesting, if fairly simple, puzzles to solve. It's just a lovely chilled out experience, almost an interactive graphic art piece, and worth every single penny of the £5.99 I got it for in the recent sale. - 9/10

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS5) - 8/10

2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2020) - Xbox Series X via Game Pass

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.0f7b83a5b3353c400b0d03f083ceac22.gif

I played the first Ori game last summer and thought it was brilliant - a beautiful action platformer-cum-metroidvania that felt wonderful to play. This is very much more of the same, although it does improve the combat, giving you a multitude of new abilities to choose from in a weapon wheel of sorts, as well as different 'shards' that give you various benefits, which reminded me strongly of the charms you can find in Hollow Knight. But whereas The Blind Forest was just the right length at eight hours, even at 13 hours this feels a little bloated towards the end, though that might be from playing the original relatively recently. I found all the health orbs, energy orbs and shards, but I wasn't bothered enough to get one hundred percent.

What I can stay with certainty, however, is how absolutely gorgeous this game looks and sounds. I'm conscious that I keep on going on about boring tech stuff in my reviews recently, but playing this in 4K @120FPS, with HDR, on an OLED screen, Dolby Atmos through my headphones, all the bells and whistles, it really is a treat for the eyes and ears, and a significant step up from the first game, which I played on Switch but still thought looked wonderful. Had I managed to play it last year, it would definitely have featured in my choices for best visuals and audio. Maybe because it came out earlier in 2020, it seems to have been forgotten about in a lot of people's end of year lists, both on and off the forum, which is a shame as it's a great game.

Overall, if you liked the first game, or you like metroidvanias, then you'll like this. It's not as hard as the original, if that was an issue for you, and if you've not played Blind Forest then this is probably the more complete package.

Completed this year:

Spoiler

1. Hades (2020) - PC & Switch

2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2020) - Xbox Series X via Game Pass

1. Sunlight

IMG_20210109_102228_1610187892557.jpg.d34ee55dd436cbdc6c0ab8c92928a593.jpg

Unsure if I can talk about this one much (it's in beta and not released yet) but I can say it's made by Krillbite and is very lovely to look at. 

Oh, and I can also say that calling your indie game something as generic as 'Sunlight' is a disastrous idea. Unmemorable, and googling it is a nightmare. 

Uncharted 1 - Drake’s Fortune

Well, I completed it once before on PS3 but it’s been so long, that I’d like to count it again as my completing a game counts as a victory.

So it shows it’s age in having square textures and blocks to jump on, and compared to later editions it’s a bit obvious that you can’t hang out with buddies for too long for technical reasons, but all the same it’s still bloody brilliant.

Except for... those guys.  You know the ones.  Where you feel like you’re playing a Resident Evil game instead. Stressful!

Uncharted has always got the treasure hunt piece right, and this was no exception :) 

Today I finished Uncharted 2 - Among Thieves! Again, for the second time. I really only remembered snippets - snow, train, city, tank.  Here the gameplay has developed quite a bit from 1 although there’s typical “Bad Guy 1 - pistol”, “Bad Guy 2 - shotgun” stuff going on.  It’s still bonkers, but this one had a little less of the treasure hunt going on, which in a way is a bit of a shame.  I completed Uncharted 4 over Christmas which really has that aspect absolutely nailed.  But, as with the other games what always works so well is that feeling of never being alone, of working with the other characters to achieve things, which really adds to the entertainment value.

Onto Uncharted 3...

Bloodborne (2015)

My first game to finish this year is one that I expected to be able to finish last year.  It's huge - sprawling, even - and the high difficulty means you end up repeating the same areas in Yharnam over and over again.  My actual game time is probably 50 hours, but in reality probably closer to 100.  But what a tremendous game.  The loop of explore - fight - die - fight - upgrade - fight boss - die, die, die - upgrade - explore... doesn't get tiring.  It has a few frustrating difficulty spikes, and there were times where I wanted to pack it in (god knows I'm more relieved than satisfied to have killed the last boss) but learning how to dodge, parry and stun enemies is really fun - and the range of attack options are much more varied than the initially rigid-feeling gameplay suggests.  Landing a visceral attack on an enemy is just perfection itself, and when you make it to a lamp with your pockets overflowing with blood echoes the feeling is, I imagine, like winning big on the roulette table in Vegas.

1. Immortals: Fenyx Rising

qK1pXxG.jpg

I really enjoyed this. It might be because I needed something to distract me from all the crap news around Christmas, but I had a whale of a time with this, initially. It feels a bit like Assassin's Creed mashed up with BOTW, but never really manages to capture the magic of the latter. There's no real challenge to traversing any of the environments, and while the world is beautiful, there isn't a particularly satisfying sense of exploration to most of it.

But the puzzles are good fun (though there's too many of them, and they become quite repetitive) and the Vaults (rip offs of Zelda's Shrines) are great. I spent about 35 hours playing it and have had my fill. 

I like the format though, and hope they make a sequel or something similar with a larger emphasis on exploration and maybe cut down on the number of puzzles and focus on quality.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition - First game completed for 2021! I recently subscribed to Game Pass for PC, so be prepared for comments on a few games that everybody else has been playing on that service. I downloaded and started a few games when I signed up, but this is the one that grabbed my attention the most.

It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Sure you die a lot, but the save system (save anywhere but only when you have the resources) wasn't as terrible as I feared. There was really only one or two sections where I was starved of save crystals and had to go survive (and die a lot)longerthan I wished.

I think it was a great Metroidvania game. It looked good, played well, and was a good challenge. However, it fell a little short in some areas. Enemies were mostly annoying rather than challenging. No boss fights was a good idea, but the one-hit kill escape sections that replaced them were rather frustrating.

Perhaps not for everyone, but I would also have liked more difficulty on the side. Outside the main route, there's not really that much to challenge you when you go for 100%. Although, perhaps that was because I got the extra moves that made it easy.

I got all the achievements apart from the one where you have to play through in one life. My last run through, where I was really getting a hang of it, I was down to about 98 deaths. Better than my first save which was ten times that, but I think I'll leave any further improvement alone for my sanity.

I'll definitely be playing the sequel at some point in the near future to see how it compares.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019)

My second completed game of 2021 and it's not a million miles away from the first.  Fallen Order is heavily influenced by FROM Software's output - it has its own versions of bonfires and estus flasks; enemies respawn when you recover at one of the save points; combat is tough and leans heavily on parries and dodging.  Fallen Order has jumping, which makes the levels feel a bit like Tomb Raider at times - especially the emphasis on hidden items, which are quite good fun to seek out.  The other big influence comes from the Metroidvania genre, with extra Jedi abilities gained the further into the game you play.  All combined, it makes for a really fun game - and the Star Wars setting and story make for an enjoyable experience for any fan.  Highly recommended.

Spoiler

09/01/2021 - Bloodborne

10/01/2021 - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Halo 2: Anniversary (2014)

This is going to look pretty strange, having just finished Fallen Order 30 minutes ago!  But It turns out I was at the final boss when I stopped playing, so technically this still counts! (Actually the same is true for Fallen Order)

Anyway, this is much better than I remember, and the revamped visuals are just lovely.  The levels set on Earth are much more impressive and fun than the later Covenant areas, but Delta Halo is fabulous.  Hate all the nonsense lore that's been added into these version of the games, but they can be ignored I suppose.

Spoiler

09/01/2021 - Bloodborne

10/01/2021 - Halo 2: Anniversary

37 minutes ago, Popo said:

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019)

My second completed game of 2021 and it's not a million miles away from the first.  Fallen Order is heavily influenced by FROM Software's output - it has its own versions of bonfires and estus flasks; enemies respawn when you recover at one of the save points; combat is tough and leans heavily on parries and dodging.  Fallen Order has jumping, which makes the levels feel a bit like Tomb Raider at times - especially the emphasis on hidden items, which are quite good fun to seek out.  The other big influence comes from the Metroidvania genre, with extra Jedi abilities gained the further into the game you play.  All combined, it makes for a really fun game - and the Star Wars setting and story make for an enjoyable experience for any fan.  Highly recommended.

Reveal hidden contents

09/01/2021 - Bloodborne

Were you playing this at the same time as Bloodborne? How long did it take you to finish?

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Were you playing this at the same time as Bloodborne? How long did it take you to finish?

There was a lot of overlap, yea. Does the Series X give a counter of time played? Not sure but somewhere in the region of 30 hours at a guess - significantly shorter than Bloodborne, and a lot less death and respawning (although playing on Jedi Knight difficulty is still a good, satisfying challenge. 

Edit - HLTB suggests 30 hours as a completionist run and it can be done in just over 20.  I really tried to hunt down all the extra stim packs and secrets so 30 should be about right. 

I've set myself the goal of finishing twelve games this year instead of my usual guff of starting plenty and then stopping after an hour or two. Hopefully this thread will help me achieve my lofty goals. Moving on. 

1. Murder By Numbers (Switch) 

This was a brilliant start to the year. I like Picross and I liked the the Phoenix Wright games so this was right up my street. Its mostly light hearted but the story does touch on some darker themes (apart from murder, which is also dark) that I still haven't seen a huge amount of in other games. In general the writing is great and I don't think theres an outright bad character in the game. For instance,  K.C. is the gay best friend but he is never treated like a shrieking sissy which I feared he might be after he showed up in the story. I liked that. There is other stuff and characters in the game where I feel like it would have been easy for the game to treat them as oddities but it never does and that just made me feel good. I can't get into this topic more without possibly ruining story points.  My main criticism of the writing/story would be that you never get the Eureka moment where the pieces of a mystery fall into place which the Phoenix Wright games were so good at delivering. 

The music is brilliant. I often turn down the music in a Picross game as I get bored of the same few songs over and over again. According to my Switch I played this game for 30 hours and I never did that. I'm probably going to buy this through Steam or Gog so I can get the soundtrack. 

Using the search function it seems like a few people played it but all the chat got swallowed up in those evil megathreads. Boo. 

9/10

Edited by bear
Spelling and grammar atrocities

Just Cause 4

I seem to be ploughing through my back catalogue of PS+ titles. I can understand why so many people abandoned this early on. As I mentioned on the main thread it is the Numberwang of open world games. So many icons and nonsensical stuff happening that it has lost its main appeal - explosive violence with a simple unlocking map structure.

But when I ignored a lot of the guff and stuck to the main missions it started to fall into place and I had a brilliant time. The weapons are beefier than before and the performance issues of 3 are largely (but not entirely) absent.

They do need better writers and producers if this series is ever going to recover though.

7/10

I'll have a go at this thread this year.

All my games are XB1, and I generally count "complete" as being "full gamerscore, or as near as I can get".

Syberia

This was a backwards compatible 360 title, a remaster of a game originally released mid 2000s for PC and, I think, the original xbox. I remember reading about it at the time, how it was basically designed by one guy from somewhere in central or eastern Europe. I generally find these "singular visions" quite interesting, not having been focus-grouped into a bland, easy-to-digest form. The reviews from the time were quite encouraging, and it had a nice wintery look to it. Sadly, it didn't really hit the spot. First off, there was a game-breaking bug, where if you leave the hotel you start in, you can't go back in without the game freezing, meaning you had to know exactly what to do before you left, resulting in several restarts. Also, some of the exits from each of the statically-rendered screens were hard to spot, so I was stuck for ages before consulting a guide and finding out about several locations that I just didn't know were there. Add in the frequency of the character getting jammed against hard-to-read scenery, and a tendency for the camera point-of-view to shift dramatically as you move between screens (meaning that moving in the same direction sometimes took me back where I just came from) and it just resulted in annoyance. Some of the puzzles were decent, and it had a fascinating, surreal atmosphere, but it was technically "of it's time". 4/10

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

I enjoyed Trine 2 on the 360, and this was a GWG freebie, so it was a no-brainer. Even more graphically stunning then usual, some of the screenshots I took could've been box art. The puzzles are largely of the physics-based "how do I get over there" sort, all switches and pulleys and counterweights and balancing acts. Some real headscratchers, particularly one from the last level that was utter genius. Rather brilliantly, a few of the puzzles can be solved in ways that I doubt were intended by "brute forcing" the physics, which I loved. The sporadic combat sections were a bit surplus to requirements, but didn't really offend. A very charming game, overall. 9/10

Fe

I got myself a year of GamePass for 2021, and thought I really should be making more use of it, so I saw this odd looking game among all the sports franchise crap in the EA Play section, and thought it looked interesting enough to try out. I tried looking for some opinions on this forum, but couldn't see it mentioned anywhere. It's basically a 3D Metroidvania-ish platform game set in an ethereal forest type of setting, which reminded me of the Ori games. There are some strange aliens taking over the place, and there's some light stealth involved in keeping out of their way as you, a tiny little squirrel-like critter, attempt to rescue the animals that they are capturing. 99% of the game is played out without any text or dialogue, all just animal noises and gestures, which works well. I really adored this. It has a beautiful abstract style, lovely audio, and a nice control scheme, especially when you learn some of the gliding/flying skills. There's even a Shadow Of The Colossus tribute at one point. It was apparently made by a Swedish team, so with this and the brilliant Unravel games, I'm becoming a bit of a Scandophile, games-wise. 9/10

Spoiler

01/01/2021 - Syberia

07/01/2021 - Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

11/01/2021 - Fe

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Sega Ages) Switch

Hot on the heels of the original, which I finished for the first time last week. I have also now finished Sonic 2 (using ring keep mode and save states). The graphics were excellent, although the stages weren't as memorable as the original selection. Some of the music was also good, but there wasn't anything quite as catchy as the Green Hill Zone or Starlight themes (which I have been listening to outside of the game). The first half of the game was a lot of fun, but I did find it frustrating towards the end. As with the original, I doubt I will replay the whole thing again, just dip into the first couple of levels.

Spoiler

January

1. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Ages) Switch

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Ages) Switch

2. Gears 5: Hivebusters 

Screenshot_2021-01-13-09-01-56-496_com.brave.browser_1610528574797.jpg.9e380ecaa2f60888d9271867b8bc95a0.jpg

The gaming equivalent of an unpleasant snooze after a heavy meal, this DLC is turgid. The cruddy level design and uninspired encounters may as well be ripped off from your last trip to Lidl, and it has the unpleasant distinction of getting more boring as it goes on.

This is a game that thinks uncontrolled slides are so exciting a development in gaming, they should be experienced not once, not twice, but at least four times. 

So why did I bother completing it, you ask? It's hella beautiful (everything on ultra settings on an ultrawide monitor and it's a marvel), it was 'free' (Game Pass) and it was 'only' two hours long. 

As a defender of the main Gears 5 campaign in the face of almost universal derision, I feel like a right chump for giving my time away to this lazy nothingness of an expansion. 

Spoiler

1. Sunlight (PC) 

1. Dragon Quest XI

One of the best JRPG games I have ever played. Captivating story, great gameplay mechanic, very nostalgic in terms of presentation and execution, and a fabulous and colorful cast of characters combined with fantastic writing (and voice overs in various english dialects). I can't wait for the next game in the series which I hope will come to Xbox/Game Pass on Day One... I believe this year marks the 30th anniversary of the series. 

48 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

1. Dragon Quest XI

One of the best JRPG games I have ever played. Captivating story, great gameplay mechanic, very nostalgic in terms of presentation and execution, and a fabulous and colorful cast of characters combined with fantastic writing (and voice overs in various english dialects). I can't wait for the next game in the series which I hope will come to Xbox/Game Pass on Day One... I believe this year marks the 30th anniversary of the series. 

It's older than that. First release was mid 1980's

Jan

13/01 My Friend Pedro (PC) This was a surprise. It feels like a cross atmosphere wise between Rolling Thunder and Hotline Miami with a dash of Shank. I didn't like some of the platform only levels but as a whole was a fun distraction. And the bullet time meant that I could pull off moves that my aging reflexes wouldn't otherwise be able to pull off. It's only a few hours long but it's only on Gamepass for the next few days so hurry if you want to play it for free.

ss_01fe6816d123066ec76f5bd8063598caa9863

Previously this month.

03/01 Tell Me Why (PC)

01/01 Tales from Off Peak City : Vol 1 (PC)

Little Nightmares (2017)

This was great fun, and absolutely bizarre. You play a small child, nameless and of unspecified gender, in a yellow raincoat, who has to escape a strange world populated by grotesque adults bent on catching you. To what ends? None good, you can be sure. 

Gameplay takes place in this warped world, where you have to run, jump, swing and climb your way to freedom. Movement has a satisfying momentum and is animated with an almost stop-motion quality. Each room, taking the form of a Burtonesqe diorama, has to be explored before you can work out how to escape. Combined with the adults, who sometimes give chase, and the dark, disturbing tone, it’s a game that gives moments of excitement, horror and satisfaction. Highly recommended. 

Spoiler

09/01/2021 - Bloodborne

10/01/2021 - Halo 2: Anniversary

13/01/2021 - Little Nightmares

09/01/2021 - Guardian Heroes (360)

9 years after I first played the remixed version of this game on the 360, I went back and actually finished (and then again a few more times to see all the respective bosses and the various endings). It was surprisingly good fun for a sideways scrolling brawler with levelling up elements, despite the game providing zero explanation about what any of the stats meant (is this a common thing in JRPGs or something?). I mostly button-mashed my way through the first few times, but started trying to learn the inputs for other moves to try and get combos going which provided more depth to a character like Han, but the more fun character to play was Serena who is mage-knight kind of character who gets to use magic and smash people's heads in with a sword. I get the feeling that it would have been much better in co-op, and I would love to see a sequel/update to this kind of thing in the same vein as SoR4. :)

Previously:

Spoiler

06/01/2021 - Streets of Rage 4 (Normal)

The Touryst

A pleasantly short game, this, with a colourful, Lego/Minecraft look and feel. The puzzles were largely child's play, and I think it is probably aimed at a slightly younger age group than this 45-yr-old, but I still enjoyed my time on the islands, especially Leysure Island, whose arcade has a really good Arkanoid clone in it! My only complaint is that some of the rooms that required fairly precise control, jumping between platforms, could've benefitted from an old-school isometric D-pad style of movement. 7/10

Spoiler

01/01/2021 - Syberia

07/01/2021 - Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince

11/01/2021 - Fe

13/01/2021 - The Touryst

2 hours ago, peeveen said:

Leysure Island, whose arcade has a really good Arkanoid clone

I really liked the F-Zero clone, it had surprisingly deep handling.

6 hours ago, Popo said:

I really liked the F-Zero clone, it had surprisingly deep handling.

Yeah that was good too, but I got the impression that it was impossible to get beyond a certain score/distance. Maybe I was just better at the other two. :)

Based on your write-up for Little Nightmares, I watched some clips, and it looks fantastic, right up my street, so I installed it, but ... oh no! ... no option to disable vibration? I hate controller vibration. I can put up with it if it's used very sparingly as a gameplay thing, for example, indicating nearby secrets or whatever, but in the first 30 seconds of playing Little Nightmares, it was bzz bzz bzz as I walked along, jumped, kicked a bit of litter ... a major turn-off. What were they thinking?

15/01/2021 - A New Life (PC)

I've been dipping in and out of the itch.io racial justice bundle since I got it and strayed into genres I don't usually touch as a result - and this is another first, a visual novel.

I've never been interested in VNs and, well, I'm still not. This only really got a look-in as it was short so I figured I'd try it out but despite the short runtime it was saccharine, overwrought and the description is more than a little misleading - especially as there's nothing you can do about it (I'm being deliberately vague just in case somebody tries it).

There are multiple endings but there's no player agency in terms of story and whilst it seemingly affected a number of people who played it (based on the comments left on the game page) I don't get how, because there's no characterisation going on.

It does look nice though and the soundtrack is unobtrusive yet quite calming - but I don't feel the VN genre is ever going to be for me.

Spoiler

05/01/2021 - Vostok Inc. (PC)

02/01/2021 - Call to the Sea (PC)

01/01/2021 - Suikoden (PS1)