IGNORED

What games did you complete? 2021 Edition

Unofficial Who

The Last of Us Part 2

I went into this completely blind and haven't even read anything since completing it.

The only thing I'd vaguely heard was that there was a 'controversy'. Playing through it I was struggling to find what was so controversial. On the back of the Incel stuff (post The Last Jedi) I can only assume this major controversy has to do with Naughty Dog concentrating on female leads, and gay ones at that. If this is the case then there's nothing to add except a shrug and to move on. Idiots.

Presentationally this is some next level stuff. Stunning. The glass. The animations. The lighting. The visceral gore. The sound. The feeling of being *there*.

But purely in *game* terms I felt the pacing was off. The first half of the game took too long to get going and just when the combat started to get interesting and tactical that thing happened.

The second half reset and while there were, pound for pound, more encounters I wasn't quite as invested because 

Spoiler

Abby

I found the epilogue a slog. This game really didn't know when to end. It felt like the narrative became so important they forgot about pacing. It was very stop start and it spoiled the overall experience for me. The pacing was much better in the original game (I played it again leading up to this so it is fresh in the mind).

Narratively this was excellent. No spoilers here but it sets a new benchmark for storytelling in games. There are still issues, pacing aside, but those are for the spoiler thread.

I played this on Hard but apart from a couple of spikes it was never as hard or terrifying as that first game. The only exception to this was the dogs which were bloody brilliant. But again, just as I was enjoying those encounters they disappeared.

I think this was the biggest disappointment, a feeling that some of the gameplay and encounters were reigned in to allow the narrative to breathe, but I just wanted to play with all the toys once I'd gotten them.

Overall this was something I never could have imagined when I first booted up my Atari VCS back in the 80s. Well done Naughty Dog. (But I preferred the breezy fun of Uncharted 4: A Thief's End).

9/10

On 18/09/2021 at 11:10, Pelekophoros said:

3/01: Night Slashers (Arcade)

13/02: Ghosts Of Tsushima (PS5)

20/02: Kitty Letter (Android)

21/02: Concrete Genie (PS5)

04/03: Maquette (PS5)

03/04: 198X (PS5)

07/04: Moonwalker (Arcade)

27/04: Apex Legends Season 8 (PS5)

29/04: Call Of Duty: Black Ops: Cold War (PS5)

08/05: Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order (PS5)

26/06: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS5)

02/07: Necromunda Hired Hun (PS5)

06/07: Ratchet & Clank 2016 (PS5)

12/07: Warhammer Vermintide II (Xbone)

27/07: The Last Of Us Part 2 (PS5)

13/08: The Last Stop (Xbone)

27/08: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (Switch)

10/09: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1&2 (PS5)

12/09: Donut County (Xbone)

12/09: 12 Minutes (Xbone)

14/09: The Artful Escape (Xbone)

17/09: The Gardens Between (Xbone)

18/09: Superliminal (Xbone)

20/09: Golf With Friends (Xbone)

A truly hateful game in places, like properly designed to just be an absolute fucking dick, but it was lovely playing through all the courses with my mates over a few weeks. Glad to see the back of it though. 

No 21 of the year (Gamepass) Omno.

This was a simple enjoyable game and I for one enjoyed the ending. 

You know I used to think with my ADHD I had to focus on one game at a time. Gamepass has dispelled that myth. I find by having multiple games on the go. Of different genre and length that you can dip in and out of means I complete so many more.

Can I make 30 by the end of the year. I'm going to try. 

23. The Artful Escape

As everyone says, this is great. It's more of an experience than a game but that's a good thing in my book anyway. There's no challenge, you never get lost or stuck, or defeated, you just surf the cosmic waves bringing your unique brand of space guitar hypernoodling to the appreciative flora and fauna of every psychedelic planet you visit. Far out, man.

Spoiler

1. Dragon Quest XI

2. Donut County

3. Tell Me Why

4. Slay the Spire
5. The Medium

6. Final Fantasy XII

7. Night in the Woods

8. Wreckfest

9. Doom

10. Nier: Automata

11. Carto

12. Sea of Solitude

13. The Gardens Between

14. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

15. Rain on Your Parade

16. Doom II

17. Yakuza Zero

18. Pikuniku

19. Aragami

20. Last Stop

21. Omno

22. What Remains of Edith Finch

23. The Artful Escape

Previously Completed

Spoiler

2021 https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3KkDXKA8KDrUSXSSgvjH0H59HuNUQ8QL

Lost Sphear (PS5)

Gorogoa (PS5)

Slay the Spire (PS5)

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 5 (PS5)

Donut County (PS5)

Control (PS5)

When the past was around (PS5)

Undertale (PS5)

Yakuza Like a Dragon (PS5)

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 6 (PS5)

Batman Enemy Within (PS5)

Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS5)

Rebel Galaxy (PS5)

The First Tree (PS5)

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 7 (PS5)

Mutant Year Zero - Road to Eden (PS5)

Yakuza 0 (PS5)

After enjoying Yakuza Like a Dragon (easily Game of the Year for me) earlier this year, I needed to correct my mistake of ignoring the Yakuza games. So I am on a playthrough of the earlier games (Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1+2 & 3 to 6). I enjoyed the turn-based combat in LAD so was worried the action-style may trigger RSI pains, started on Normal but I had to drop the difficulty down to Easy because the longer boss fights were painful. Thankfully on easy the game is fine for me, I had to pause on some of the long sequences to take a break but I really enjoyed the story even if I was suprised by one moment in the ending section.

Spoiler

(Makato does not recognise Majima's voice)

Next for me a couple of indie titles in Gris & Beyond Eyes. I may see if I can pick up Ratchet & Clank cheap to enjoy otherwise will start Yakuza Kiwami.

Scrap that just Fifa 22 for £43 with the ebay code.

On 11/09/2021 at 14:02, strawdonkey said:

00. Katamari Damacy
0X. Kind Words

01. Hello Charlotte Episode 1

02. Hello Charlotte Episode 2: Requiem Aeternam Deo

03. Hello Charlotte Episode 3: Childhood's End

04. There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

05. Mandagon
06. Heaven Will Be Mine

07. Tales of the Black Forest

08. Super Mario 3D World

09. Lair of the Clockwork God

10. Milk Inside a Bag of Milk Inside a Bag of Milk ...

11. Super Mario 3D World: Bowser's Fury

12. Tetris Effect

13. Luck be a Landlord

14. Rain on your Parade

15. The Red Strings Club

16. The Textorcist: The Story of Ray Bibbia

17. Shape of the World

18. Far: Lone Sails

19. Return of the Obra Dinn

20. Donut County

21. Warhammer: Vermintide 2

22. Cat Quest

23. Touhou: Luna Nights

24. World End Economica: Episode 1

25. Murder By Numbers

26. Hypnospace Outlaw

27. Behold The Kickmen

28. Lonely Mountains: Downhill

29. The Next Penelope

30. Doom (2016)

31. Monster Train

32. Loop Hero

33. World End Economica: Episode 2

34. What Remains of Edith Finch

35. Cube Escape: Seasons

35a. The rest of the Cube Escape Collection games

36. Forza Horizon 4

37. Sayonara Wild Hearts

38. Princess Remedy In A World Of Hurt

39. Glittermitten Grove

40. The Adventures of Elena Temple

41. Sorry, James

42. Deltarune Chapter 2

43. Golf With Your Friends

In true Toby Fox fashion, Deltarune Chapter 2 went from "I guess we are working on it" to "it is releasing tomorrow" within a couple of short hours and my word it is the absolute best thing. I was howling throughout, the new characters are all brilliant, the old characters are all brilliant, the music is brilliant,, the writing is brilliant, the battles are still somewhat inventive despite being variations on a very well established theme...

It's absolutely magnificent and the next parts can't come soon enough. The first two chapters are also, inexplicably, free; the rest will apparently be paid for but after Undertale I would have basically dropped mutliple tens of pounds without any hesitation.

Golf With Your Friends on the other hand is only fun because of the "With Your Friends" bit. Minigolf is great, but it feels like there's a battle in this game between what makes minigolf fun as a concept, and a mixture of being able to push boundaries with design space in ways you wouldn't feasibly be able to do in real life, along with the desire for the game to have some longevity and challenge. What this results in is very few holes where you can look at an overview of the hole and understand exactly what you've got to do, and lots of holes where there is a significant amount of learning to do before you can hope to be competitive (or in some cases, even finish the hole at all).

To add to the above, the game feels very fragile in places - there were tons of occasions where I would clip through the scenery or the ball would ricochet off in a random direction from an invisible piece of scenery, and at least twice I was trapped in scenery by circumstances out of my control (things exploding or other movable obstacles for instance).

I think the most annoying thing though is that there are a couple of courses where they start off relatively "normal", but take a dive into madness and/or random chance two thirds of the way through. This basically kills the game as an exercise in beating par without a significant amount of learning, at which point it loses any value as a fun casual game; on the other hand coming into each course for the first time (which is very relevant for something that is generally played on a very casual basis) is often just a crapshoot. All that said, its main value as a conduit for you to laugh at the absolute despair in your mates' voices as they balloon the ball over the hole for the fourth time in a row. It is, at least, very good at this.

Spoiler

1. Forza Horizon 4 - Lego Speed Champions & Fortune Island DLC packs (XB1) - 8.5/10

2. The Gardens Between (XB1 Game Pass) - 8/10

3. Sea of Thieves (XB1) - 10/10

4. The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 10/10

5. Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch) - 8.5/10

6. Titanfall 2 (XB1) - 9/10

7. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) - 9.5/10

8. Sniper Elite 4 - (XB1 Game Pass) - 8.5/10

9. Journey to the Savage Planet (XB1 Game Pass) - 7.5/10

10. Wolfenstein: The New Order (XB1 Game Pass) - 8/10

11. Hades (Switch) - 9.5/10

12. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) - 9/10

13. Halo 5: Guardians (XB1) - 8.5/10

14. Halo: Reach (XB1 Game Pass) - 8.5/10

15. Bloodroots (XB1 Game Pass) - 6.5/10

16. Psychonauts 2 (XSX Game Pass) - 9/10

17. The Artful Escape (XSX Game Pass) - 9/10

18. The Ascent (XB1/XSX Game Pass)

A game that really should have scored higher - the Ascent is a twin stick shooter set in a quite breathtaking cyberpunk world.  And it really is stunning - unfortunately, The Ascent is let down by some quite baffling design flaws and bugs and strange difficulty spikes which means that you have to display a lot of patience to get through to the end.

Story wise, it's a bit partridge.gif - I didn't much care for any of the NPCs despite their rather cool appearance.  The main character who you play as seems to be far less impressively presented than anyone else too, which again seems odd.  I couldn't tell you much about the story because in all honesty, I didn't quite understand what the hell was going on!  

But much like Halo 5, I'm not THAT bothered about the story if the gameplay is engaging enough and the combat is always fun.  There's a decent range of weapons and augmentations - the latter of which can be very, very cool indeed as well as being very useful.  You do start to pick up a few useful tactics, using cover, knowing when to deploy grenades or other special weapons etc.  As with the scenery, the explosions and damage are absolutely superb, and it's for all these reasons that I can't completely slate The Ascent - as far as the absolute basics go, it's decent fun when it's at it's best.

But that just makes the pacing, the side quests etc all the more frustrating.  As has been said on the dedicated thread, it can become very frustrating and downright tedious very quickly because the fast travel system and map are both appalling.  Go from the top floor all the way to the bottom level, then make your whole way across that level, find something, watch a cutscene then go ALL THE WAY BACK to the top floor for another cut scene.  FFS.  That probably takes at least half an hour and there's no way to do it any quicker - when there's next to no activity along the way aside from shoot any goons who get in your way, it's a poor design choice.  Likewise, some side quests you receive early on cannot be completed because you can't access certain areas until you've levelled up further.  Also, on the Xbox One, some of the loading screens take AGES - the difference on Series X is ridiculous and barely noticeable.

Boss battles range from the bombastic to the downright frustrating with the aforementioned difficulty spikes forcing you to use every last sinew of patience you possess. 

I can't 100% recommend the Ascent because it is so easy to lose patience with it.  There are so many other, better titles on Game Pass that deserve attention more than this, which is a massive shame because there's the makings here of an absolute classic, but it's let down by some bad design flaws and bugs.  It looks great, it MAINLY plays very well but when I finally reached the credits, I was relieved more than anything else.

6.5/10

On 20/09/2021 at 21:58, Pelekophoros said:

22/09: Omno (Xbone)

Well, that was lovely. Proper chill gaming.

22/9/21 - Control (XSX Gamepass)

This was an interesting game, a delightfully odd concept with some things that managed to genuinely unsettle - weird and crazy angles, this muttering in the background.  Even the first roll of the credits went all strange.  It felt a little bit silent-hilly, but crossed with a 3rd person shooter where you get crazy powers... I guess a bit like crackdown there.

Anyway, I was enjoying myself a lot, until I got around 70% in and then I hit a wall (it was the anchor boss for those who have played it) it just threw enemy after enemy at me and I just couldn't do that and handle the one-shot-and-your-dead effect from the boss at the same time.  After trying lots of times and not being able to come up with a tactic, it wasn't fun any more - but I felt invested enough in it to see it through, so I moved some of the sliders around to make the game easier.  Recovery energy faster and shots don't do as much damage.  I hate doing that, as it feels like I've failed, but I just couldn't see any way forwards.  It got worse as the game went on with the final stage being like a boss rush.  I don't think the combat was particularly involved - it was more of a run and shoot and don't get shot - I didn't find it tactical.

I'm still going to go back and hover up a few side missions I didn't do, but ultimately I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to play the game as intended.

Previously...

Spoiler

1.) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Switch - 2019 (2012)
2.) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Switch - 2018 (2014)
3.) God of War - PS4 - 2018
4.) Shenmue III - PC - 2019
5.) Sonic Mania - PC - 2017
6.) Abzû - PS4 - 2016
7.) Night Trap - 25th Anniversary Edition - Vita - 2018 (1992/3)
8.) Secret of Mana - SNES - 1993
9.) Rez Infinite - PS4 - 2016 (2001/2)
10.) Moss - PS4 - 2018
11.) Halo: Reach - PC - 2019 (2010)
12.) Papers, Please - Vita - 2017 (2013)
13.) Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary - PC - 2020 (2011/2001)
14.) Undertale - Vita - 2017 (2015)
15.) Halo 2: Anniversary - PC - 2020 (2014/2004)
16.) Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse - Vita - 2013/14
17.) Final Fantasy VII Remake - PS4 - 2020
18.) The Wolf Among Us - Vita - 2014
19.) Halo 3 - PC - 2020 (2007)
20.) Halo 3: ODST - PC - 2020 (2009)
21.) Halo 4 - PC - 2020 (2012)
22.) Black Mesa - PC - 2020 (1998)
23.) Axiom Verge - Vita - 2016 (2015)
24.) MINERVA: Metastasis - PC - 2013 (2005/07)
25.) The Last Express Gold Edition - PC - 2013 (1997)
26.) Subsurface Circular - Switch - 2018 (2017)
27.) Beyond Eyes - PC - 2015
28.) Job Simulator - PS4 - 2016
29.) Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Switch - 2020
30.) Statik - PS4 - 2017
31.) Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - PS4 - 2017

32) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - 2017
Completed all the major things, I think. All four Divine Beasts, got the Master Sword, all memories and a hell of a lot of shrines before defeating Ganon. 90+ hours.

Four years late to the party, there's not much I can add that hasn't been said. Everyone told me it was great, and it was. It's pretty incredible! For me, this game feels like an attempt to replicate the open-ness and "work it out yourself" feel of the original Legend of Zelda on the NES - it doesn't hold your hand, lets you tackle the quest in any order you want, it rewards experimentation, and the sense of discovery is very natural and rewarding. It also lets you fail in a way that Nintendo games often don't - it feels more like an RPG where you can just blunder into situations you aren't prepared for. It's also a game that, finally, sells the idea of a massive open world without the need for smoke and mirrors. It's the promise of Ocarina of Time, sprawling landscapes and distant landmarks, except instead of just being segmented arenas with bitmaps pasted onto the walls, these mountains and castles and hills in the distance are actually there, part of a fully modelled environment that you can actually explore in its entirety. And you can climb everything, even things that you assume you shouldn't climb. Take shortcuts, try to break the game, do what you want - and live with the consequences. It takes it all in its stride and gives you more.

This is an enormous game - the size of the map is mind-bogglingly huge for any developer to have come up with, never mind one as conservative with its franchises as Nintendo! And yet, it feels like a cohesive whole, like a genuine wilderness with varied climates that fit together believably. Seeing the smoking Death Mountain from everywhere on the map, wondering how to survive the heat, getting nearer and nearer to Hyrule Castle as I pass back and forth doing other quests, knowing that I will eventually be returning there for good. Wondering how to reach each Sheikah Tower as I map out paths through mountains and over hills, or try to avoid enemy camps. If I had any criticism, it's that the sheer number of side quests is overwhelming and they're often not very rewarding. The Shrines are great, the Divine Beasts are excellent, and the plot is surprisingly touching (a little voice acting can improve the franchise - who knew?), but it's not a game I would like to play through again from scratch. The idea of starting over and doing all of that again is not appealing. I got a little bit addicted by the end just trying to mop up my quest log and find as many clothing ingredients as I could, which started to make the game feel like a chore. I also had to resort to Google a few times to find things that I simply would never have found without help, such is the sheer scale of the map, and although I definitely didn't find everything, it still took me nearly a hundred hours!

Maybe some shorter games next... :D

List:

Spoiler

1. Alba (Apple Arcade)
2. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (Switch)
3. My Friend Pedro (Switch)
4. Don't Look Back (iOS)
5. Bowser's Fury [Story] (Switch)
6. Super Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (SNES/Switch)

7. Yoku's Island Express (Switch)
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Museum Collection Complete (Switch)
9. Donut County (Xbox Game Pass)
10. The Medium (XSX, Game Pass)
11. GTA V (XSX)

12. Monument Valley – Ida's Dream (iOS)

13. Gears 5 (XSX, Game Pass)
14. Resident Evil 7 (XSX, Game Pass)

15. Rain On Your Parade (XSX, Game Pass)
16. Titanfall 2 (XSX, Game Pass)

17. Batman Arkham Knight (XSX, Game Pass)
18. Call of the Sea (XSX, Game Pass)
19. The Walking Dead: New Frontier (XSX, Game Pass)
20. A Plague Tale: Innocence (XSX, Game Pass)
21. Tales from the Borderlands (Xbox One, GWG)
22. Batman: The Telltale Series – Season One (Xbox One, GWG)
23. Sunset Overdrive (Xbox)

24. DOOM 2016 (Xbox)

25. Lego Builder's Journey (Apple Arcade)
26. Super Mario 3D World (Switch)

27. Batman The Telltale Series – The Enemy Within (Xbox, GWG)

28. Part-Time UFO (Switch)

29. The Wolf Among Us (Xbox GWG)
30. Death’s Door (Xbox)
31. Jenny LeClue – Detectivú (Apple Arcade)
32. Katamari Damacy Reroll (Xbox Game Pass)
33. Limbo (Xbox, Game Pass)
34. The Walking Dead: Michonne, Episode 1 (Xbox, GWG)
35. Psychonauts 2 (XSX Game Pass)

36. The Artful Escape (XSX Game Pass)

Clifftop guitar solo/11

METAL.thumb.jpg.52b2173128cea206463d89c4dd3783b8.jpg

No 22 of the year (Gamepass) Flynn Son of Crimson. 

Thoroughly enjoyed this old school platform action game. Only about 7hrs to see credits and will now work on all achievements as it's a nice game to dip in and out of whilst working on the last few I haven't got. 

16 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

23/09: 64th Street: A Detective Story (Arcade)

I didn't really enjoy this one. A limited set of moves, terrible music and repetitive enemies meant it outstayed its welcome pretty quickly.

On 31/08/2021 at 14:01, Darhkwing said:

1/1- Uncharted Lost Legacy

3/1 - Resident Evil 4

7/1 - Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity

12/1 - Link to the Past

19/1 - Tetris Effect Connected

24/1 - Super Castlevania IV

27/1 - Star Fox 64

2/2 -Wario Ware Inc Micro Games

7/2 - Super Mario Bros 3

18/2 - Bowsers Fury

28/2 - Super Mario 3D World

9/3 - Diddy Kong Racing

11/4- The Wind Waker

27/4- Crash Team Racing

18/5 - Resident Evil 8

6/6 - Tomb Raider (reboot)

28/7 - Metroid Zero Mission

15/8 - Skyward Sword HD

21/8 - 12 Minutes

7/9 - Metroid Fusion

Enjoyed this a lot but it's the weakest Metroid for me. Just too linear at times, some odd colour choices (probably cos GBA screen was too dark so they made all the graphics colourful). SAX was pretty neat though.

23/9 - Castlevania Symphony of the Night

Again, really enjoyed this. Bit confusing at times, especially without a manual. Managed to get 177% which i was pretty happy about - the bosses were way too easy, well besides one optional boss i came across that i skipped.

21 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

26/06: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS5)

24/09: Mutation Nation (Arcade)

This was good. Only takes about 40 minutes to get through, has an interesting special moves system and only gets stupidly difficult on the last "fight all the bosses again" level.

20. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 (XB1) - Following on this years theme of playing Lego games with my 5 year old. This one has bigger levels, more characters, more mechanics, slicker performance and crazier plot and is a lot longer than the first one. None of that really makes it any better to be honest. Some of it was so mad neither my son or I really knew what was going on, and in places the puzzles are really obscure, with little guidance, and felt like a big leap age wise compared to the rest of the game (and the others in the series). There were also some just plain frustrating bits where the game overreaches itself and fails with things like camera angles/scenery getting in the way of quite hard platforming bits, etc... On the plus side all the save issues from the previous titles have been resolved so no lost play time, however I think we were both kind of glad it was over when we finished the final boss fight. Having now played the trilogy the Avengers movie tie in game is definitely the strongest of them all. We are now moving onto Lego Jurassic World. - 6/10

On 19/08/2021 at 10:10, FiveFootNinja said:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS5) - 8/10

2. Gris (PS5) - 9/10

3. Fez (PS4) - 8/10

4. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) - 9/10

5. Horizon Zero Dawn: Frozen Wilds [DLC] (PS5) - 7/10

6. Maquette (PS5) - 5/10

7. Lego City Undercover (XB1) - 7/10

8. Lego Ninjago Movie (XB1) - 7/10

9. Phogs (XB1) - 7/10

10. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (XB1) - 6/10

11. Lego Marvel Avengers (XB1) - 7/10

12. Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) - 8/10

13. Far: Lone Sails (PS5) - 7/10

14. Tint (Book I) (iOS) - 7/10

15. Little Orpheus (iOS) - 6/10

16. Control: Ultimate Edition (PS5) - 7/10

17. The Last Campfire (iOS) - 9/10

18. The Pathless (iOS) - 7/10

19. Rain on Your Parade (XB1) - 7/10

On 24/09/2021 at 11:58, Pelekophoros said:

26/06: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS5)

24/09: Mutation Nation (Arcade)

25/09: Battle Circuit (Arcade)

A young girl on a bright pink Ostrich battles a wealth of villains, including Barbara, Sandra and Dave. It was good. 

26/09: Sack Boy: A Big Adventure (PS5)

I tired of this enough by the end that there's no way I'm going back through collecting more dreamies to do the bonus levels. 

The best sections were those that were low on challenge and high on funk. As with everything Sack Boy ever, as soon as it tries to turn into a purist platformer it falls apart.

Those best sections were worth the price of entry though. 

21. Deathloop (PS5) - As a huge Dishonored fan I was really looking forward to Arkane's latest first person action/stealth "immersive sim." Ultimately I wasn't disappointed as what you end up with is a slick mechanics driven game that gives you a load of choice merged with the 'Groundhog Day' style loop structure which open up your murderous objectives to similar sandboxing once you get into the game proper.

The setting is like a mad mash-up of Dishonored's Dunwall and Bioshock, with some fantastic (but expletive filled and sometimes messily delivered) writing and performances. It looks and sounds stunning though and on the PS5 I got rock solid 60fps performance throughout with no bugs, glitches or crashes to report (some PC users have complained about this though).

The gameplay feels very much in the Dishonored zone (with guns) but with less emphasis on stealth, in fact at times a little too much as some of the powers/mechanics are identical. There is also a sprinkling of online in there too if you want it (but it is optional). Combat is both very easy and very brutal depending on how you go about it, especially in the early hours where you have less tools at your disposal.

All in all I think it has some flaws but I ended up having a really good time with it over about 20 hours. I definitely think a more hardcore game was in there somewhere which I probably would have preferred, but as it is - and for something  that is obviously targeting the mainstream AAA game market much more than their previous titles - it offers a solid single-player action game with something a bit different to the norm (basically Dishonored merged with elements of some other great games, a little bit of Soulsborne here, a pinch of Metroidvanias there, etc...).

Mileage will definitely vary but I would recommend giving it a go when the price is right for you. - 8/10

zRFXnYx2RmTPwmTUzZtQR.jpg

On 24/09/2021 at 12:19, FiveFootNinja said:

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS5) - 8/10

2. Gris (PS5) - 9/10

3. Fez (PS4) - 8/10

4. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS5) - 9/10

5. Horizon Zero Dawn: Frozen Wilds [DLC] (PS5) - 7/10

6. Maquette (PS5) - 5/10

7. Lego City Undercover (XB1) - 7/10

8. Lego Ninjago Movie (XB1) - 7/10

9. Phogs (XB1) - 7/10

10. Lego Marvel Super Heroes (XB1) - 6/10

11. Lego Marvel Avengers (XB1) - 7/10

12. Ghost of Tsushima (PS5) - 8/10

13. Far: Lone Sails (PS5) - 7/10

14. Tint (Book I) (iOS) - 7/10

15. Little Orpheus (iOS) - 6/10

16. Control: Ultimate Edition (PS5) - 7/10

17. The Last Campfire (iOS) - 9/10

18. The Pathless (iOS) - 7/10

19. Rain on Your Parade (XB1) - 7/10

20. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 (XB1) - 6/10

Previously Completed

Spoiler

2021 https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3KkDXKA8KDrUSXSSgvjH0H59HuNUQ8QL

Lost Sphear (PS5)

Gorogoa (PS5)

Slay the Spire (PS5)

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 5 (PS5)

Donut County (PS5)

Control (PS5)

When the past was around (PS5)

Undertale (PS5)

Yakuza Like a Dragon (PS5)

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 6 (PS5)

Batman Enemy Within (PS5)

Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS5)

Rebel Galaxy (PS5)

The First Tree (PS5)

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 7 (PS5)

Mutant Year Zero - Road to Eden (PS5)

Yakuza 0 (PS5)

Yakuza Kiwami (PS5)

I started playing Gris but I could not stop thinking about Yakuza after completing Yakuza 0 si I obviously stopped playing Gris and started Yakuza Kiwami. Kiwami is a remake of the first PS2 released Yakuza game with some small changes, you play as Kiryu again and the story follows him having to deal with a decision made very early in the game.  Nishki & Yumi return and there are some new characters that get introduced and a few that also have their story wrapped up. The main story is what make these games a joy to play and Yakuza Kiwami does not disappoint.

Majima is also back and has a unique task in the game to help Kiryu. These moments lead to some very funny sequences and is a highlight of the game outside the main campaign. Unlike Kiwami this game is played out just in Kamurucho, you have a few missions in other locations but these are gated so you cannot explore.

The game mechanics are the same in terms of combat except this time you level up with experience points instead of using money. The mini-games are back but there is no main character mini game like the building game from Yakuza 0.

Compared to Yakuza 0, Kiwami is a much shorter game but I like that because it is more focused and not distracted by side activities. You can enjoy the main campaign in under 20 hours. I don't have the time to always play 60 hour plus games so give me a small concise experience anytime.

I was tempted to go straight into the next game but have Fifa 22 arriving this week so it is FUT time again after my 3 year break.

26/09/2021 - Evil Dead - Fistful of Boomstick (PS2)

This is objectively a very bad game.

Ordinarily, I'd like to try and at least find some positives for some of the trash I play, but this really has none other than it's quite short.

Nope, it's just awful. I think I had this many, many years ago on the Xbox, bought because of my love for Army of Darkness, where Campbell was properly given free-reign to Campbell it up. I suppose, in some ways, this game encapsulates the very budget and janky feel of that film, though it's in no way intentional. Man, even Campbell in this is disappointing.

It's a third-person action adventure where you revisit the town of Dearborn in different time periods to stop the Deadites doing what the Deadites do using a variety of weaponary (including the chainsaw in place of your right hand). You'll navigate the small town, revisiting the same locations across time and solving the occasional puzzle or completing a fetch-quest. It's all very standard, though I suppose this was much fresher back in 2003 (man, I'm old.)

From the start, you know this isn't going to be a good game. The graphics - even by the standards of the day - are truly hideous, with Ash for some reason having a permanent cross-eyed expression. The camera - on man, the camera - actively hates you. It's too tight to the player character and, in a game where you get swarmed by enemies often, means you are taking lots of hits from enemies that almost instantly appear behind you. The attack animations are stiff and unresponsive, with collision detection seemingly yet to be invented (interestingly, I'm also playing Jade Empire and the combat in that also suffers similarly.) The voice acting is flat, too, which is a great shame from the big man. Still, it's not as if he has much of a script to work with here.

There are no redeeming features to it, and yet there was a sequel (Regeneration) and I'm going to play that too. I expect more of the same and to be copy & pasting these comments at some point in the future.

Previously completed:

Spoiler

13/09/2021 - Transformers Devastation (PC)

31/08/2021 - Shining Force II (Mega Drive)

24/08/2021 - Close to the Sun (PC)

07/08/2021 - The Last Stop (PC)

06/08/2021 - Shining Force (Mega Drive)

02/08/2021 - Vendetta (Arcade)

31/07/2021 - Outriders (PC)

25/07/2021 - Dynamite Dux (Arcade)

24/07/2021 - Stardrop (PC)

20/07/2021 - Dungeons & Dragons Dark Alliance (PC)

10/07/2021 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance (PC)

02/07/2021 - Weaves of Fate (PC)

27/06/2021 - Through the Woods (PC)

22/06/2021 - Answer Knot (PC)

10/06/2021 - Halo: Spartan Assault (PC)

07/06/2021 - The Hex (PC)

23/05/2021 - Renegade (Spectrum)

15/05/2021 - Lords of Xumila (PC)

09/05/2021 - Devolverland Expo (PC)

09/05/2021 - The Medium (PC)

02/05/2021 - Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms (PC)

01/05/2021 - Shadows: Awakening (PC)

21/04/2021 - Rain on Your Parade (PC)

20/04/2021 - Wasteland 2 (PC)

04/04/2021 - Secret World Legends (PC)

02/04/2021 - She Sees Red (PC)

27/03/2021 - Greedfall (PC)

26/03/2021 - Freedom Fighters (PC)

10/03/2021 - Breath of Death VII (PC)

05/03/2021 - Dungeons & Lesbians (PC)

04/03/2021 - Quantum Break (PC)

26/02/2021 - Marvel Avengers (PC)

20/02/2021 - Life is Strange (PC)

02/02/2021 - P.O.W. (Arcade)

28/01/2021 - Devil's Hunt (PC)

24/01/2021 - A Mortician's Tale (PC)

19/01/2021 - The Touryst (PC)

19/01/2021 - Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forrest (PC)

15/01/2021 - A New Life (PC)

05/01/2021 - Vostok Inc. (PC)

02/01/2021 - Call to the Sea (PC)

01/01/2021 - Suikoden (PS1)

23. Monument Valley 2 (2017) - Android

You know Monument Valley 1? This is more of that. Calming, beautiful and serene, but fairly frictionless and very forgettable. Excellent bog game fare.

24. Final Fantasy VII Remake (2020) - PS5

20210929_164318.thumb.jpg.51286a763b717852455f4343f9fd9c3e.jpg

What an odd game this is. I tried it last year on the PS4 and played it for ten hours before getting fed up with the linear gameplay, button mashy combat, inconsistent textures and ghastly (English) voice-acting. Owning the digital copy, and with the recent PS5 performance updates, however, I decided to give it another go with the voice-acting set to Japanese this time (much better), and, 32 hours later, having seen the credits, I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

On the one hand, it's baggy as old balls, replete with ponderous, never-ending sections which, in the original game, took all of five minutes to get through but here can take ten times as long. The pacing in general is very off, with some chapters that almost play themselves and are over just as they seem to get going, while others can take up to four hours to wade through, especially if you decide to complete the various errands that the game dubiously labels as 'sidequests'.  

Additionally, the combat system only really comes into itself in the final third, when you have to actually think about what you're doing. Even then, however, there were entire systems I didn't engage with at any point throughout the game as I never felt the need to, as well as materias and abilities I never used, and I didn't die once during my entire playthrough. A lot of the time, you can easily get away with just hammering attack as Cloud and lose nothing for doing so (although, in fairness, the same can be said for the original game).

And as brilliant as the game world is and always has been, the story doesn't really make any sense at all, especially with the changes this remake introduces. Woe betide anyone coming into this who hasn't recently genned up on the original if they're expecting to understand what on Earth is going on, who's who and what's what.

20210929_163910.thumb.jpg.5830fd6490839ae7b1b4214fa68c0d32.jpg

And yet. 

I class playing the original Final Fantasy VII (over and over and over again) as one of the formative experiences of my childhood, let alone one of my favourite childhood videogames, and while, having played it through again relatively recently on the Switch, it doesn't quite hold up, I still have a deep-rooted affection for it and would definitely put it in my list of top ten all timers. For people like me, this remake is extremely effective at tapping into the nostalgia that comes from revisiting Midgar. There's an unadulterated pleasure to be had in seeing environments, characters and props from the original game reimagined and re-rendered nearly 25 years on from when it was first released. The music plays an especially important role in this, and, as in the original, is the best thing about the game - the bit in the opening cut-scene when the horns come in just as the logo splashes across the scene had me positively vibrating with excitement. While the rest of the game can't quite live up to the joy of that particular moment, a lot of the reason why I stuck with this was because I (almost) always knew what was coming and looked forward to seeing how it had been realised.

The occasions when the game breaks away or changes the script set by the first game I initially found repugnant - how dare they change my game! - but by the end I actually found myself interested to see where they were going with the story. You have to be prepared to go along with the Yakuza-like anime madness they've injected into the narrative, but if you can look past that then there's more than just nostalgia here to keep you interested.

Even if the ending didn't really land for me, I'm still intrigued as to where they go from here and will absolutely play the next game, as and when it materialises (are they going to make it alongside FF16?). I'll also play the DLC for this at some point. I hope that subsequent parts are a bit more whittled down, however, as opposed to being stretched out, like this was. There's more than enough content from the original game to prevent the developers from having to pad things out, you'd hope.

Anyway. Recommended if you enjoyed the original and want to see Midgar as well as Cloud and co. on a next-gen console. For people who never played the first game, this is a linear, somewhat by-numbers action adventure that goes down easy, looks good, sounds better and is set in an interesting and unusual fantasy dystopia. Don't take it too seriously, and be sure to play it in Japanese.

20210929_163914.thumb.jpg.d59aaf0dda116de12eb2be416d17b764.jpg

Resident Evil 7. Bought at launch and played for a couple of hours on my Pro and PSVR. It was cool but way too much game for me to ever finish in VR, perhaps in another 10 years I'd have completed it, what with my 20 mins here and there VR play style.

Anyway, recently relegated my Pro to the bedroom as I've got a PS5, I kidded myself I'd still complete it in VR once my adapter arrived from Sony but I'd also bought RE8 on PC and had that staring at me every time I launched Steam, which is a lot as PC is my main living room game time sink. 

So with the PS4 being in the bedroom I decided any game without a PS5 update was getting played in bed, first port of call was a little RE7 with my morning coffee whilst it was still gloomy (love getting up at silly times of the morning and doing something odd). What was bought at launch and had taken me years to reach the car in the garage bit in VR was smashed over a couple of mornings from that point via the TV. Thoroughly enjoyed it, the graphics did date a little in those few years mind, remember thinking there was a nice photo real quality when I first started playing but they've seemed rather crude to me over the past few days of playing. Still great though.

So, as much as I'd have loved to finish this in VR I think I'll keep this type of game for the TV and shorter stuff to the goggles, god help stuff like HL Alyx and Asgard's Wrath, two other games I've glacially been plugging away at on PCVR.

Now to finally fire up 8 on PC. Games are big.

Oct

02/10 Get in the Car, Loser! (PC) (plus Battle on the Big Broadwalk DLC) I've been looking forward to playing this rpg from Christine Love ever since screenshots were dropped three years ago and then a couple of weeks ago it was suddenly released. For Free!

PJitxI.png

The plot?

She said "GET IN THE CAR, LOSER! I know you're not up to anything this summer, I've got the Sword of Fate, and there's an ancient evil that needs to be sealed away."

You play as party healer and self proclaimed gay disaster Sam Anon who's been convinced to fight the Machine God by your crush and her non-binary partner. You pick up The Thirty-Second Arm of the Divine Order and an actual literal angel Angela along the way. Described as a lesbian road trip RPG you travel along the highway with synthwave music playing in the background deciding which battles to take part in and which rest stops to stop at by changing lanes.

It's not without some issues, the battle system can take a while to get to grips with and each of the four levels throws some unexpected twists in. Inventory management can be a pain. But it has snappy dialogue, gorgeous pixel art and great (if repetitive music).

Some people are going to bounce off of it because of the themes in the game (the core of the narrative is very much about being trans and finding your place) but hey, it wasn't made for those people. It's worth checking out regardless if you're into RPG's, pixel art or just want to see what the result would be if Outrun was a queer RPG instead of a racing game. And why not. It's free. If it sucks you in you're looking at about 14 hours to complete it.

For $10 you can get access to the DLC Battle on the Big Broadwalk. It's more for those who want to tip / support the devs, there's not much here but it's a fun breezy beach episode / sidequest that takes about an hour to complete.

i8FbqE.jpg

Previously

Spoiler

63. 19/09 Superliminal (PC)

62. 18/09 The Artful Escape (PC) 

61. 13/09 Mass Effect 3:Legendary Edition (PS4)

60. 11/09 Boyfriend Dungeon (PC)

59. 29/08 Alpaca Stacka (PC)

58. 24/08 Mass Effect 2:Legendary Edition (PS4)

57. 22/08 Last Stop (PC)

56. 14/08 Omno (PC)

55. 03/08 Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS5)

54. 25/07 Mass Effect:Legendary Edition (PS4)

53. 20/07 Law of the West (C64)

52. 18/07 The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (PC)

51. 17/07 Ikenfell (PC)

50. 08/07 Final Fantasy 7 Remake INTERmission (PS5)

49. 03/07 Deus Ex Machina Game of the Year 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition (PC)

48. 27/06 Answer Knot (PC) 

47. 26/06 1944 : the Loop Master (PC/Arcade)

46. 22/06 Commando (C64)

45. 21/06 GigaWing (PC/Arcade)

44. 19/06 19XX: The War Against Destiny (PC/Arcade)

43. 19/06 Warriors of Fate (PC/Arcade)

42. 18/06 Varth: Operation Thunderstorm (PC/Arcade)

41. 15/06 Carrier Air Wing (PC/Arcade)

40. 14/06 Senjō no Ōkami II (PC/Arcade) 

39. 14/06 1941:Counter Attack (PC/Arcade)

38. 14/06 Forgotten Worlds (PC/Arcade) 

37. 12/06 West of Dead (PC) 

36. 11/06 Raid Over Moscow (C64)

35. 09/06 Section Z (PC/Arcade)

34. 06/05 God of War (PS4)

33. 05/05 Ghostbusters (C64)

32.01/06 Beach Head (C64)

31. 30/05 Depanneur Nocturne (PC)

30. 30/05 Commando (PC/Arcade)

29. 30/05 1942 (PC/Arcade)

28. 30/05 Bionic Commando (PC/Arcade)

27. 29/05 If Found...(PC) 

26. 24/05 Final Fight (PC/Arcade)

25. 22/05 Sunset Overdrive (PC) 

24. 11/05 Batalyx (C64)

23. 09/05 Call of the Sea (PC)

22. 25/04 Carto (PC)

21. 24/04 The Little Acre (PC)

20. 24/04 Yorkshire Gubbins (PC) 

19. 22/04 Control:Ultimate Edition (PC) 

18. 20/04 Rain on Your Parade (PC) 

17. 02/04 Summer Games 2 (C64)

16. 16/03 Beach Head 2:The Dictator Strikes Back (C64)

15. 13/03 Assassin's Creed Chronicles:India (PS4)

14. 07/03 Alvastia Chronicles (PC)

13. 27/02 Oxenfree (PC)

12. 26/02 Assassin's Creed Chronicles:China (PS4)

11. 11/02 Beyond a Steel Sky (PC) 

10. 02/02 Stories Untold (PC)

9. 31/01 Katamari Damacy Reroll (PC)

8. 28/01 2020 Game (Browser)

7. 26/01 Observation (PC)

6. 25/01 Hades (PC)

5. 23/01 Donut County (PC)

4. 17/01 The Touryst (PC) 

3. 13/01 My Friend Pedro (PC)

2. 03/01 Tell Me Why (PC)

1. 01/01 Tales from Off Peak City : Vol 1 (PC)

Abandoned

Assassin's Creed Chronicles:Russia (PS4)

The Medium (PC) 

The Ascent (PC)

12 Minutes (PC)

On 22/09/2021 at 07:11, strawdonkey said:

00. Katamari Damacy
0X. Kind Words

05. Mandagon
06. Heaven Will Be Mine

08. Super Mario 3D World

12. Tetris Effect

13. Luck be a Landlord

14. Rain on your Parade

15. The Red Strings Club

17. Shape of the World

20. Donut County

22. Cat Quest

25. Murder By Numbers

26. Hypnospace Outlaw

27. Behold The Kickmen

29. The Next Penelope

30. Doom (2016)

31. Monster Train

32. Loop Hero

36. Forza Horizon 4

37. Sayonara Wild Hearts

39. Glittermitten Grove

41. Sorry, James

42. Deltarune Chapter 2

06a: Heaven Will Be Mine (all the other endings)

Finally went back to this and really enjoyed the other two routes too. It's not clear if the Space Romance or the Mad Sci-Fi Stuff is meant to be the front-runner in this game, but the writing and scenario are wonderful even if I've read some of the passages three times and I'm still not completely sure I understand what's going on. I guess trying to describe the feeling of being tunred inside out by a black hole in real time is something that you don't tend to have a lot of real-life experience with though.

The soundtrack is an absolute triumph too - it seamlessly swells and vanishes with story beats by switching between different versions of the same track depending on what's happening in the story. It's reminiscent of PSO's dynamic music and is really atmospheric and cool.

14 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

00. Katamari Damacy
0X. Kind Words

05. Mandagon
06. Heaven Will Be Mine

08. Super Mario 3D World

12. Tetris Effect

13. Luck be a Landlord

14. Rain on your Parade

15. The Red Strings Club

17. Shape of the World

20. Donut County

22. Cat Quest

25. Murder By Numbers

26. Hypnospace Outlaw

27. Behold The Kickmen

29. The Next Penelope

30. Doom (2016)

31. Monster Train

32. Loop Hero

36. Forza Horizon 4

37. Sayonara Wild Hearts

39. Glittermitten Grove

41. Sorry, James

42. Deltarune Chapter 2

06a: Heaven Will Be Mine (all the other endings)

44. Cherry Tree High Comedy Club

I've been meaning to play this for years. CTHCC is basically Persona without the battles; you're on the clock and have to build relationships with a set amount of people over the course of a month and a half, with the ultimate goal of getting your comedy club approved by the extremely petty student council president. The plot is paper-thin; it's basically an excuse to go and hang out and make friends and be lovely. That said, despite being centred around forming a comedy club, the game isn't particularly funny - there's lots of cute and snappy dialogue between characters but it feels like incidental humour borne of relationships rather than deliberate humour borne of An Attempt At Being Funny. It's not a criticism, but the game ends at the point the club is formed - I was hoping to be able to enjoy the payoff after successfully forming the club.

Also I got the bad ending after a bug caused the last character I needed to recruit (who was pretty much guaranteed to hit max level) to vanish and be replaced by one of the others, who had somehow invented a method to be in several places at once. That'll teach me for not taking multiple save backups like I do on basically every other game ever.

Even so I had loads of fun with this, despite it being a little mechanically archaic, there being a lot of repeated dialogue, and the aforementioned bug that torpedoed my playthrough. I watched the ending on YouTube; it was about 45 seconds of cutscene that didn't feel worth going through several hours of menus again for.

1. Immortals: Fenyx Rising

2. Control [Game Pass]

3. The Medium [Game Pass]

4. Astro's Playroom

5. Demon's Souls Remake

6. Ghost of Tsushima

7. Death's Door

8. Hades [Game Pass]

9. Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

10. God of War (2018)

I almost never replay games. I really like games with a strong narrative, and I like seeing new stuff, so those two things plus not enough time to play all the new stuff coming out, means I just never do it, so the fact that I returned to complete this again speaks volumes. It's probably up there as one of my games of the last generation - I struggle to think of anything else that beat it.

Anyway, the excitement of the new Ragnarok trailer is what prompted me to do so, plus the draw of it being 60fps on PS5. This time around, I didn't bother doing any sidequests - I enjoyed them the first time around, but the rewards aren't really necessary and there's very little story payoff for them, but I still had a wonderful time with it.

I think @Hamus mentioned somewhere that he couldn't play it because of how Kratos bullies his son, and he certainly does early on, and it makes for uncomfortable moments. I think it very much fits with who Kratos is, though, and the game's arc is far from subtle. From Kratos being an unconfident and poor father, to Atreus' power trip and back, the game lacks nuance, but manages to remain effective.

The first time I played it, my eldest was about a year old, so I nodded as Barlog said it was a game about his son and thought yes, I understand, but I really didn't, outside of the unconditional love a parent feels for their child. But really, in Kratos' incompetent parenting, I think he's clearly getting at all the times as a parent that you second guess yourself, all the times you do the things you told yourself you wouldn't and when you are less patient than you would like. And it's all that which, despite him being pretty unpleasant for a lot of the game, makes Kratos at least understandable.

It really is a wonderful game all around, and I can't see what they do next. 

25. Little Nightmares II (2021) - PS5

image.thumb.png.99a72e0cd1c8ddec5f2ec2d2fdafb9cd.png

(More screens and a short video - some spoilers for certain areas/encounters)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6bd9be171fa998d58cbf5653a9ca9eec.png

image.thumb.png.675069e931761dbb50823e001f5d35f8.png

FAzdnQMX0AADT-K.thumb.jpg.c45b433ec8a21be485857d1e0ba0ca24.jpg

FAzdnDJWEAIxLN-.thumb.jpg.041ec3bde0675c384b77327e67813654.jpg

I enjoyed this quite a lot, so much so that I went back and replayed certain areas for the Platinum. If you've played the first game then you know what to expect, but this feels like a more complete experience to me. Some of the imagery is really quite creepy, and the visual design is often very impressive - extremely photographable. Apart from a couple of issues with the spongy controls and the 2.5D perspective causing me to whiff the occasional jump, I played through almost all of it with a big smile on my face and a palpable feeling of nervous tension. Some of the jump scares and encounters made me laugh aloud.

A great Halloween game. It only took me 6 hours to entirely rinse and it can be had pretty cheaply. It's very much a 'one and done' sort of experience, but if you're looking for something enjoyable and atmospheric to polish off in a few sittings, then this will definitely fit the bill. Nothing revolutionary, but good, macabre fun all the same. Overall, a definite recommendation from me, and currently on sale for about £16 on PSN.

Previously:

Spoiler

January
1. Sonic the Hedgehog 1 (SEGA AGES) Switch
2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SEGA AGES) Switch

February
3. Panzer Dragoon (Remake) Switch

July
4. Bare Knuckle 3 (SEGA Vintage Collection) Xbox 360

August
5. Vendetta (Arcade Archives) PS4
6. Metal Slug (ACA Neo Geo) PS4
7. Final Fight (Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle) PS4
8. King of the Dragons (Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle) PS4
9. Captain Commando (Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle) PS4

September
10. Rez Infinity (Area X) PS4

It was only when I logged Tetris Effect that I remember I had played through Area X to completion for the first time recently too. The two games certainly share some DNA. I don't have PSVR or a fancy telly, but even so, Area X really left me wanting more. Might be time to revisit Child of Eden I think.

October
11. Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (Castlevania Anniversary Collection) Switch

I totally spammed the save states to finish this and it still seemed difficult. I can't imagine ever being able to finish it with the set amount of lives. The checkpoints were a bit too spaced out for my liking (plus you lost your power-ups) and enemy attacks were very unpredictable. For example, I would save my game, get killed, reload, change tactics and the bastards would get me in a different way. After the ending, you get plonked back at the start for the second quest. I'll plod on but will probably give up if things get too tough. On the plus side, some of the graphics are great and of course there's some great music. I didn't really see the point of the character swapping and just stuck to Trevor Belmont. 

12. Tetris Effect (Journey mode on Normal difficulty) PS4

Took me quite a few tries to finish the final level Metamorphosis - you really have to be in the zone for the final section when the blocks fall so rapidly. The only other mode I have really spent much time with is Sprint. I can clear 40 lines in around 2m:30s but I've kinda hit a wall now and haven't been able to improve much, hence me finishing off Journey mode instead.