The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Anything that forces you to buy another switch if you're in a household with more than one person is absolutely anti-consumer, yes.

Sharing the same island with my wife & daughter is actually the best thing about the game for me - i certainly wouldn’t want to play it any other way, ironically even if you do buy another Switch and another copy of the game you still can’t share the same island on both consoles. 

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 18!

On the one hand it bums me out whenever there's a VR game that's apparently really good since I'll never get to play it. On the other hand my backlog of great games on traditional platforms will last me years at this point, so it shouldn't be a big loss. I'll just stick to enjoying excellent write-ups like that one :)

18 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Makes me wish PSVR didn't give me a screaming headache after 30 minutes!

13 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

On the one hand it bums me out whenever there's a VR game that's apparently really good since I'll never get to play it. On the other hand my backlog of great games on traditional platforms will last me years at this point, so it shouldn't be a big loss. I'll just stick to enjoying excellent write-ups like that one :)

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

well, there's now a non-VR version too, so you've no excuse. Give it a try, it might just make your 2021 a little more bearable!

:quote:

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 17!

Mario 3D All-Stars should've been banned from this years voting. Literally nothing new. I know Mario is 35 and probably doesn't care about presents anymore but at least pretend that you care Nintendo!

NERD have actually made a pretty great version of SM64 in particular. I’m sitting at 106 stars and it’s a well scaled, low lag version of the game with the analogue stick correctly calibrated in a release since the original. 

It plays just like it should, first for an official release since 1996 and is actually true to the original and not tampered with like so many remasters. It’s totally worth celebrating. 

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

NERD have actually made a pretty great version of SM64 in particular. I’m sitting at 106 stars and it’s a well scaled, low lag version of the game with the analogue stick correctly calibrated in a release since the original. 

It plays just like it should, first for an official release since 1996 and is actually true to the original and not tampered with like so many remasters. It’s totally worth celebrating. 

This - it plays perfectly, and I can only assume the lack of 16:9 support is due to limitations imposed by the original level design or something along those lines. 

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 16!

I haven’t played DE, but the trio of glory kill/chainsaw/flame belch did seem like a brave decision. I like to imagine that when it works as intended it makes battles more exciting and cinematic - you’re not just mowing down enemies with one thing but making the most of the tools at your disposal, and the end result ends up looking pretty stylish. :) 

Doom Eternal is soooo good. I love that it's unashamedly a video game in every way, from the secrets and collectables, to the moment to moment gameplay. It demands that you navigate vertical and horizontal spaces at high speed, with the 360 degree spatial awareness and reaction times of a fighter pilot, all while juggling health, ammo, armour and multiple cooldowns, reacting to new demons spawning in all the time, each with their own threats and weaknesses, and if you fail in any of this for a second, you're dead. And I'm only playing on Hurt Me Plenty! The main combat arenas feel more like direct descendants of Robotron or Smash TV than modern FPS games. Obviously this won't be for everybody, but for me this is about as good as it gets.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

As someone who didn't get on with Doom 2016, would I be better off with Doom Eternal?

Probably not, but I guess it depends why you didn't like it. It takes most of the elements of Doom 2016 and turns them up to 11.

33 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Probably not, but I guess it depends why you didn't like it. It takes most of the elements of Doom 2016 and turns them up to 11.

I got bored of Doom 2016.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

I got bored of Doom 2016.

Probably worth a go then, I liked Doom 2016 but it did get a bit samey towards the end. There's a lot more variety in environments and enemy types in this one, and it's much harder.

6 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Probably worth a go then, I liked Doom 2016 but it did get a bit samey towards the end. There's a lot more variety in environments and enemy types in this one, and it's much harder.

Does it have an easy mode? :lol:

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 15!
15 minutes ago, Jolly said:

15. Paper Mario: The Origami King

1312407810_papermario.thumb.jpg.7ef1e421f63d208c30be7fc4591546d0.jpg

Got a dog this year, didn’t I? It seemed like the perfect opportunity to buy a creature that requires I leave the house multiple times a day. Being a meanie I put a veto on any of the names the kids wanted to give him. Sadly, they’re still at the age where they’d call a white dog ‘Snowy’ or some shit and I wasn’t having any of that. We had form in decent, videogame-related pet names (our cat, Cosmos, who sadly passed in 2019, was named after the big lad in Katamari Damacy) and I couldn’t allow the standards to drop. So we (I) named him Bowser. He’s a puggle (half pug, half beagle) and is like a foot tall, so I quite enjoy the juxtaposition of a giant fire-breathing dragon turtle and a breed that sounds and looks like something from In The Night Garden. Plus, dogs go Bow-wow-wow, so it’s actually very clever, thanks. He’s about six months old now and it turns out he’s a stubborn, proud, mischievous, little pain in the arse, prone to moments of total insanity. So, just like the real thing then.

The Paper Mario series is one of those odd, Nintendo offshoots where it seems like Mario and Bowser might actually be mates. Bowser’s deeds are more ‘oh lol, what’s he up to now?’ rather than ‘Jesus Christ he’s kidnapped that woman!’. He’s repositioned as your mate Mad Dave rather than Joseph Fritzl, and it’s this atmosphere of #banter that just oozes out of the screen each and every time your turn it on. We’re all friends here so let’s settle in and have a jolly good time.

This is a game that is absolutely perfect when your hungover. One that demands to be played lying down on the sofa. For a start, it’s completely gorgeous. Nintendo are confident enough with the style to not feel the need to completely commit to having everything made of paper and introduce ‘real world’ style elements like a sentient roll of sellotape like it ain’t no thang. But nearly every scene has some ingenious use of the concept. It’s like they fired up the Art Attack siren and got Neil Buchanan in. I distinctly recall just stopping and admiring the way they managed to convey the wind blowing through tall grass at one point. You can feel the texture of every surface and the whole thing is so ludicrously vibrant I can only assume that they’re employing the use of colours outside the usual visible spectrum. This shit pops.

It’s one of those games that tries to ensure you’re having a good time constantly. The confetti gathering mechanic; where you whack stuff with a big, old cartoon hammer to release the papery goodness and then satisfyingly suck it up as you wander by; is mirrored by a confetti popping mechanic, where you paper over holes in the landscape by releasing it with a satisfying New Year’s Eve style bang. It’s a gameplay loop that boils down to little more than making a mess and tidying it back up. But as someone that purposefully washes odd socks so that I score myself when I pair them back up again (1st. 15 points. JNS) it’s totally my gravy and was something I wasn’t bored of after 30-odd hours. Admittedly, the same couldn’t sadly be said of the battles which fall just on the wrong side of too frequent. But they’re a very minor inconvenience rather than huge one. More ‘we’ve left your parcel with a neighbour’ than ‘is available for collection from your local sorting office’ so it’s difficult to get too huffy about it.

But the real reason this game finds itself among the best of the year is the script. The writing in this thing is exceptional. I sadly have no idea how localisation works but I can only assume they shredded the original words and started from scratch such are the cultural references and in-jokes. It reminds me a bit of Monorail-era Simpsons, just a constant stream brilliant quips and it’s completely unafraid to fire shots across the bows of Nintendo’s finest. One of my favourite lines is when it takes the piss out of Breath of the Wild’s climbing; something I found ludicrously frustrating and yes I’m going on again about how Breath of the Wild isn’t all that good come back please I’ll stop. ‘What am I going to do? Walk slowly into it?’ asks a Koopa Trooper in a silly, little throw away line about his defence strategies. How much you enjoy the script will largely depend on how much of a total fucking nerd you are, but given you’re reading this it’s safe to say that you’ll find this a lovingly put together critique of videogame tropes. I completely loved it.

When taking him out for a walk, a neighbour assumed that the kids had named Bowser and I nervously laughed it off, finding myself in one of those awkward situations where I’m a little embarrassed about how into Nintendo I am. The Origami King is the anthesis of that feeling. Like a puppy, it’s innate desire to have a scrap can be a bit irritating but it makes up for it in spades by being so bleeding cute. It’s a just plain lovely thing to be around.

Oh, and in case you're interested...

Hide contents

bowser.jpg.598a40ff28e782b8bf904a6432272e5a.jpg

:wub:

Let us measure

After lots of faffing about during the Wii - Wii U years, this iteration of Paper Mazza finally brings the series back to the heights of TTYD and the the N64 original. Using the same episodic structure of the previous titles, the battles this time take the form of little logic puzzles, which seem to put a lot of people off, but which work for me as brain teasers that become more fun and involved as the game progresses. It's also really, really funny. And poignant in parts. Once completed, you'll never look at bob'ombs in quite the same way again.

joffocakes

Probably now my favourite game in the series. Such beautiful variety and fun events, let down only by the slow pace of the turn-based battles (though the puzzle-led nature of the boss encounters was great). I want a little turbo shoe-car for myself.

Spoiler of the year for sure.

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!
  • milko unpinned this topic