The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 14!
On 14/01/2021 at 21:27, deerokus said:

Doom Eternal is one of the most disappointing sequels I've ever played (until Super Meat Boy Forever came out). 

Yeah, while I'm sure Benny and Jolly have a point with what they're saying about the changes to the gameplay, for me the problem is that it just isn't fun anymore.  The first game was fun, a completely hilarious blast.  The sequel is a grind, a chore.  I've given up playing it because I wasn't really getting much enjoyment out of it, but there were sections of the game I saw dozens of times, and it got very boring.  Doom shouldn't be boring.

It was my second favourite game of the year and I was always fairly baffled by the response on here. I felt like there was only a handful of us that got it. I have a theory that it perhaps resonates better amongst people that don't play a lot of shooters but I have little evidence to back this up beyond a sample size of one.

I can understand if someone was put off because it was too much, too stressful, too intense. But boring?! Can't wrap my head around that.

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 13!

I didn't really rate Star Wars Squadrons. I never actually finished it - poor checkpointing, I have do all that again? Really? But what really soured it for me was that the VR was completely broken at launch, and by the time they fixed it the game was on sale for roughly 3/the price. 

Fucking twats.

I get why people rate it though. :) 

I'm intrigued to see how high Paradise Killer lands considering the thread for it was barely 3 pages long but it cropped up a fair few times in the votes. Stealth GotY, there. 

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 12!
  • Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: Number 11!

Oooh, and there was me thinking it may not have made the cut. Just outside the top 10 isn't bad for what is easily the best game of 2020, but can only be played by a fraction of the community. I was constantly in awe of Half-Life: Alyx, from beginning to end. I've played through it several times and it's always a delight. I really look forward to the time when VR is more mainstream and so more and more people get to experience the brilliance of games such as Half Life: Alyx.

Aye, a fantastic game. I never thought I'd actually be able to play it, or certainly that if I did it wouldn't be for a long time, so I'm thankful to have had the opportunity. If you've already got a PC capable of playing it then an Oculus Quest 2 with the link cable can be had for about £300-£320 (or cheaper used), which is obviously a lot of money, but not entirely outside the realms of possibility, especially if you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket after not being able to buy either of the next gen consoles. That's how I played it and I had a brilliant time, anyway. You don't need to drop £1k on a full Index setup and then the same again on a gaming PC 

And I know this is obviously very subjective, but don't be put off by people saying it's pant-wettingly scary; it's extremely intense, in places, yes, but the tone of the whole thing prevents it from ever being truly scary, in my opinion at least.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

And I know this is obviously very subjective, but don't be put off by people saying it's pant-wettingly scary; it's extremely intense, in places, yes, but the tone of the whole thing prevents it from ever being truly scary, in my opinion at least.

Hark at Arnold fucking Schwarzenegger over here. Those black headcrabs or fucking horrifying. 

I played through all the Half Life games last year bar the first one and the headcrabs in Alyx are a lot chunkier than they are in the other games but a lot slower and less...spidery.

They're fine. Y'all are a bunch of yellow bellies.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Oh god why would you put those in VR. Preorder cancelled.

Spoilers for the game if you want them...

Spoiler

Your first encounter with them is at the end of a blocked off sewer, with no lighting other than the torch in your hand. You hear them first, then catch glimpses as the scurry toward you. 

Later in the game, there's a derelict Hotel you have to make your way through, and it's riddled with them, crawling on walls, jumping out of toilets etc.

They're fucking horrid. 

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: "Game Expected To Be GotY 2020 That Still Doesn't Have A Release Date"

I literally just finished Hollow Knight for the first time yesterday, after digging into it due to its freeness on PSN+

Its by far the best game I’ve played this year. Utterly incredible and pretty much the greatest Metroidvania ever made. It’s an utter joy. 

• Jolly changed the title to The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!
  • milko unpinned this topic