The RLLMUK Game of the Year Awards 2020 - Currently Showing: The Game of the Year!

Jolly

5 minutes ago, Wiper said:

And so we had a big hoo-hah made about the game getting the blessing of Akira Kurosawa’s estate to put his name to the game, and thus adds in an optional ‘Kurosawa’ mode. Kurosawa mode, of course, does its best to emulate Kurosawa’s famous visual style; his extreme use of telephoto lenses, his use of jump cuts, his careful composition of shots and balancing of light and shade to get the most out of his black and white shots – oh, no, of course it doesn’t do any of that. It puts a black and white filter over the game and gives it a bit of crackle. And the game features samurai. Kurosawa!

The entire piece is excellent but this part had me laughing out loud :lol:

Kurosawa!

There’s something weirdly dissonant about the effort gone into capturing the samurai movie vibe with the standoffs and the visual filters and the swirling blossom... only to wrap it around the foundations of the big budget open world outpost-liberating modern videogame experience. I could probably get over it and enjoy it as a fun thing that doesn’t require deep thought, but it is a strange one.

The setting does a ton of heavy lifting for Ghost. The gameplay is completely generic and unremarkable but damn is it pretty, technically impressive and something different which elevates the whole thing above the typical open world quest em up.

What frustrates me is that, fundamentally, it has a lot going for it. Like, for all its Ubisoft-esque "world of icons and activities", it's refreshing to have an open world game so focussed on sword fighting, and so competent at it. So much skill and effort was put into giving the game enjoyable combat and gorgeous graphics, but then it's wasted on an incredibly lazy scenario and framing, and every "open world activity"* in the game just takes away from it further. There's a cracking development team behind this game, but the high level design is awful.

* I'm not sure which is most egregious, but the haikus, bamboo slicing and "sit in a hot spring and think about [choice of two things]" all manage the impressive feat of being simultaneously trite, tedious and clichéd.

Have always been suspicious of games that no-one could be bothered to post comments about in the awards. It's usually a mediocre game that people have just put a lot of their time into for reasons of compulsion, rather than being anything particularly ground-breaking and comment worthy.

In fairness, it got squeezed out of my top five by Miles Morales. It's a genuinely great game, and the proof is in the pudding because the Japanese went absolutely crazy for it. 

For me it's hard carried by the Lethal Mode difficulty. It's so difficult to find a game that features melee combat that actually feels dangerous both to the player and the AI. If I'm playing right I can end 5 enemies with 5 button presses but at the same time if I'm off those same enemies will absolutely murder me in 5 seconds. Put that combat into any third person action game made in the last 10 years and it'll make my top 10. 

11 minutes ago, Zael said:

For me it's hard carried by the Lethal Mode difficulty. It's so difficult to find a game that features melee combat that actually feels dangerous both to the player and the AI. If I'm playing right I can end 5 enemies with 5 button presses but at the same time if I'm off those same enemies will absolutely murder me in 5 seconds. Put that combat into any third person action game made in the last 10 years and it'll make my top 10. 

Yeah, if the combat were offered in a different context I'd be delighted. Like, excise every open world trapping, and make a wordless game where you march through a series of towns enacting murder. Or, even better, attach the combat system to an actually-Kurosawa-influenced game; make an interactive take on Yojimbo* or Seven Samurai, perhaps. Damn, but there's a lot of potential around the game's engine and combat design.

*whether sincere or in the vein of the Way of the Samurai series

Tsushima is good, not great. Typical Sony game really -gorgeous but empty open world, combat that's very fun but not fully fleshed out, a story with a sad middle aged man. It's a popular but boring formula.

Ghost of Tsushima was very close to my game of the year last year. It's for me, one of the best examples of that assassin's creed open world type thing but with a far more enjoyable combat core. I loved it. I didn't write much as I did it all last minute, and wasn't really intending on casting my vote. It wasn't some sort of ennui shrug. 

I wanted to lay Ghost of Tsushima but was put off when I found it it was open world. It does look very nice and the if the combat is genuinely good then I'll probably give it a go; I've never bothered with any Assassin's Creed games for those reasons.

The combat and (for me) the music were the best things about GoT. The swordplay works well because it relies on an accessible rock-paper-scissors stance system versus differently-armed enemies, with a satisfying parrying mechanic and solid meaty hits and effects. It feels great to play and I'm glad that they got this fundamental part of the gameplay spot on. For everything else, Wiper's comments are 100% bang on.

For overall samurai shenanigans however, including the combat, the king is of course Nioh 2, which I realistically expect will place 3rd or 2nd in these prestigious rllmuk GOTY awards.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

Have always been suspicious of games that no-one could be bothered to post comments about in the awards. It's usually a mediocre game that people have just put a lot of their time into for reasons of compulsion, rather than being anything particularly ground-breaking and comment worthy.

I'd often agree, but 2020's GotY was also 2019's, and got a write-up back then.

I played probably a third of this game last year and stopped playing for whatever reason. Might go back to it on PS5 if my save can be carried over and continue on.

Here's a nice pic of a sunset I took in game.

20200719_203713.thumb.jpg.522617a37ccaa7570d718be2d4817618.jpg

Lovely stuff.

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

Ghost of Tsushima is Assassin's Creed for people who don't want to admit they like Assassin's Creed games.

It doesn't have the silliness of Assassin's Creed, which is why I prefer those games. 

I enjoyed it very much it was my 1st choice on my list & I am glad someone else beat ubisoft to a samurai open-word game. I really loved the combat and the story was decent but the visuals were beautiful & stunning. I waited to play it on the PS5 and it was smooth as butter :wub:

Cyberpunk 2077 is the best (street) samurai open world game - Tsushima looks like wading through treacle compared with the average katanafest on Night City’s dishonourable streets.

4 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Cyberpunk 2077 is the best (street) samurai open world game - Tsushima looks like wading through treacle compared with the average katanafest on Night City’s dishonourable streets.

I am very much looking forward to enjoying Cyberpunk but I won't be playing until the PS5 release, it is a game that obviously needs more time for CDPR to cook. I'm happy to wait, I have more than enough on my plate at the moment.