Original Xbox hdmi mod, better than component?

My original Xbox is broken, looking on eBay I can get a new one pre modded with hdmi for an extra 50 quid. Thing is I've got a component cable so don't think I really need this.

Anyone here seen a hdmi mod and know if it's worth it?

• 1 month later...

There was some mostly glowing feedback about a HDMI mod board a little while back (main criticism I recall was that it required the XBOX to be hacked) but I don't think it's widely available and will probably come in for a fair bit more than an extra £50:

My personal experience with Xbox related stuff in general is super minimal though.

The Xboxes on eBay are probably using Wii2HDMI units that have been stripped down and soldered onto the motherboard. They work fine - better than the Pound etc HDMI solutions - but really you're unlikely to see much better than component comparatively.

The HDMI mod up there ^ is a 'proper' one so draws direct digital signal, processes it, all that fun, to make it as good as it can be (I assume, I've not used one), so should be the best option available.

Thing is the Xbox does HD out of the box with a standard component cable (or SCART if it's wired right) - the leap to HDMI isn't as necessary as it is in older machines with older AV connections. Unless you only have HDMI ports in the house.

• Lorfarius changed the title to Original Xbox hdmi mod, better than component?

The xbox has to be switched to ntsc to get the component option.

I bought the xboxhdmi (internal) mod and had some who is very reputable try to install it for me. He had nothing but problems with it, and it looks like he'll hopefully be putting it back to stock. Its not as simple as the designer thought and people have had problems with nearly all 1.0 - 1.5 revisions. I dont know what the update is for the 1.6 versions as the discord was a mess the last time i looked.

I've now decided to wait for the dchdmi bloke to do a full upscaling kit for my xbox

12 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I had the official component adapter with mine and some heavy duty cables that were great :)

My interest is piqued by the scart/HD comment though 

I had no idea it could be done, but Retro Gaming Cables sorted me out with one. I asked for them to do me a shielded component lead, and he suggested a component/HD SCART lead*. Apparently just involved wiring it differently.

And yeah - I have a SCART lead for the Xbox that can pump out 720p. Still blows my mind a bit every time I use it.

(*And I quote: "SCART does support component, and we would just need to wire the SCART cable in a different configuration so that the XBOX outputs component rather than RGB")

3 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

I had no idea it could be done, but Retro Gaming Cables sorted me out with one. I asked for them to do me a shielded component lead, and he suggested a component/HD SCART lead*. Apparently just involved wiring it differently.

And yeah - I have a SCART lead for the Xbox that can pump out 720p. Still blows my mind a bit every time I use it.

(*And I quote: "SCART does support component, and we would just need to wire the SCART cable in a different configuration so that the XBOX outputs component rather than RGB")

What do you have it plugged into? I wouldn’t have thought many TVs would accept 720p over scart!

edit - Wikipedia says SCART can do 1080p :blink: as component but it’s scarce to find manufacturers that did it.

edit 2 - going down a rabbit hole with this now...

”There was a bodge to send component signals (Y Pb Pr) through a SCART connector (on RGB pins) on a very few devices - not Sky HD though. The intent was to plug a converter box directly into the SCART socket, which connected the R G and B outputs to three RCA/phonos. There was no intent to carry Y Pb Pr through a standard SCART cable to another device - it was just a bodge to get over the physical limitation of not having component connectors.”

You learn something new every day!

If you do only have HDMI ports in your TV and are reasonably handy with a soldering Iron you can hack up a WII2HDMI adaptor and a cheap XBox cable to make an HDMI adaptor yourself for a few quid.

If you already have Component Cables and a TV with Component Ports then just stick with that.

there is a guide here - not done it myself and this isn’t my video but it may be of use for some here:

5 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

What do you have it plugged into? I wouldn’t have thought many TVs would accept 720p over scart!

edit - Wikipedia says SCART can do 1080p :blink: as component but it’s scarce to find manufacturers that did it.

edit 2 - going down a rabbit hole with this now...

”There was a bodge to send component signals (Y Pb Pr) through a SCART connector (on RGB pins) on a very few devices - not Sky HD though. The intent was to plug a converter box directly into the SCART socket, which connected the R G and B outputs to three RCA/phonos. There was no intent to carry Y Pb Pr through a standard SCART cable to another device - it was just a bodge to get over the physical limitation of not having component connectors.”

You learn something new every day!

I did it through an OSSC. I've actually got rid of that now, so will be back to component in future, if I ever root it out again.