Full disclosure: this is a bit of extra research for a video I'm planning. Still...

What games are out there, released, that are 'secret' sequels? Not spiritual successors (Bioshock), not forgotten sequels (like Pac-Man 2 or anything else with the same name as the first game), but actual sequels to games that sort of avoid pointing out that they're sequels?

I've got a bit of a list including things like Rock n Roll Racing 2 (just called Red Asphalt in the US), Super C (Contra), The 3rd Birthday (Parasite Eve) and more, just curious if folks have any ideas I can steal.

Weirdly this idea was prompted by Project Snowblind, which began its life as a Deus Ex sequel - but by my current criteria it wouldn't actually quality for the video, as when it was released it wasn't actually a DE sequel. Maaaay have to change said criteria.

Yeah, it's on my list as a toss-up really. It's a follow-up, but does it have those links that make it an actual sequel - any references to the game show in Total Carnage or anything?

I mean, dude does say "total carnage, I love it!" on Smash so I might just stick that in the definite yes pile for that reason alone.

Fell on a couple more after posting this - Shadow of the Ninja on NES was its own thing, with that name, until Tecmo bought the rights and re-released it as Ninja Gaiden Shadow on Game Boy. So in a roundabout way the NES game is a secret sequel. Of sorts. Kind of.

And Blaster Master Jr/Boy on Game Boy, which is the secret sequel to Robowarrior (they are called Bomber King/Bomber King 2 in Japan, mind, which ruins the fun a bit).

Mercs by Capcom?

The sequel to Commando, and a game that was eventually followed by Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3. I'm not sure if one could claim "spiritual successor" when you still put a 3 in the next game!

EDIT: see also - Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi III

Crack Down in arcades is the secret sequel to the original Shinobi in arcades. I was having lunch with the guy who made it, Yutaka Sugano, and he told me the whole story. It's not called Shinobi 2, but when he made Crack Down he made it as if it were the sequel. And if you play both, you can kinda see it. I dunno, is this more spiritual successor? Where does one draw the line?

EDIT:

I want credit as a primary source if you use this!

Not sure Mercs counts really. The Japanese names for Commando and Mercs were Wolf of the Battlefield and Wolf of the Battlefield II.

Super C is a port of Super Contra.

Aren't these just games that were given different western titles rather than 'secret sequels'?

Are you counting games that were made as sequels by the same developers, but which had different names for legal or marketing reasons? (e.g. Metropolis Street Racer to Project Gotham Racing, Music 2000 to MTV Music Generator, or Demon's Souls to Dark Souls?)

Or are you only looking for games that use references to earlier ones to imply that they take place in the same continuity, but are otherwise different enough that you'd never guess that they were related?

14 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Demon's Souls to Dark Souls?

Is Demon's Souls a sequel to King's Field?

By the gods, this topic throws up more questions than answers!

WHAT ABOUT SECRET PREQUELS?!

Also, is Fighting Force a secret sequel to Streets of Rage III?

Is Doki Doki Panic a secret prequel to Mario 3?

Where does Wonder Boy and Adventure Island sit in this quagmire?

What about the Garfield/Ghostbuster games/reskins?

Are they secret cousins?

If a controller is dropped in the woods but there's no one there - DOES IT MAKE A SOUND? More importantly, how could it be dropped if there's no one there?

What about Target Earth and Cybernator? Actually, I had lunch with these guys too, and these are definitely sequels.

Yeah, this is a hard one to classify with certainty, or indeed to know when something is subtle enough to be truly 'secret'. Do we count Damocles - the (brilliant) sequel to (the also brilliant) Mercenary; or Doomdark's Revenge - the (also also brilliant) sequel to (the also also also brilliant) Lords of Midnight; or Day of the Tentacle - the (also al- you know what, I think you get the pattern here) sequel to Maniac Mansion? As in, you'd know they were sequels if you read about them - or indeed if you played them - but there's nothing on their [original] boxes or in their titles that give that away.

What about games silently set in the same universe? E.g. VA-11 Hall-A is implicitly set in the same universe as 2064: Read Only Memories, albeit set roughly a decade later, with different characters, in a different city, by a different developer.

Renegade & Double Dragon.

Chase H.Q, Crime City & Special Crime Investigation. Obviously most people see Special Crime Investigation as Chase H.Q 2 (Ocean even sub-titled the home conversions as Chase H.Q 2).

3 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Damocles - the (brilliant) sequel to (the also brilliant) Mercenary

Rarely have I found someone who even knows of Damocles! Always felt rather obscure. Did you ever finish it? Myself and a friend came quite close, but then we died from lack of oxygen on one of the planets.

Rolling Thunder, Thunder Jaws.

Atari distributed Rolling Thunder in the States & Europe. They then developed their own un-official sequel in the form of Thunder Jaws. It was crap.

14 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Rarely have I found someone who even knows of Damocles! Always felt rather obscure. Did you ever finish it? Myself and a friend came quite close, but then we died from lack of oxygen on one of the planets.

No, I was too young for it; what progress I did make was courtesy of hints given in a magazine at the time (possibly ST Action). Didn't stop me from repeatedly bashing my head against it, though! These days I'm too used to games running at above 5 frames per second to give it a proper go, though I still find its stark, flat-shaded 3D beautifully evocative.

I wish there were a modern equivalent of these gloriously open adventures; when people complain about e.g. Breath of the Wild having too many open/empty spaces to traverse, I think of this series and wish for the opposite: give me huge expanses to cover, sparsely populated: a frontier with a real sense of scale and breadth to try and navigate and understand!

Eric and the Floaters on the Spectrum was written by Hudson Soft and is basically Bomberman, years before Bomberman was Bomberman.

Vindicators for the Spectrum was an original game that was known as Green Beret 2, which as far as I know was just Ocean / Imagine's decision and the Konami had to ask what they were doing.

Lord Monarch is a secret entry in the Dragon Slayer series (despite being a real time strategy game rather than a turn based RPG). Its also absolutely brilliant (I've been playing the Mega Drive fan translation for months and can't put it down).

Vic Tokai basically iterated on Kid Kool on the NES several times across different consoles (Kid Kool - Psycho Fox (SMS)- Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure & DEcap Attack (MD). I'd say the Mega Drive games were secret Psycho Fox sequels.

Volfied could be argued as being a secret Qix sequel, something it obscures by the shooter elements and sci-fi trappings.

S.C.I. doesn't reference Chase HQ despite being a slightly advanced version of it.

Gradius was a secret sequel to Scramble. I say 'was' because Konami started putting Scramble at the front of the Gradius timeline some time around the turn of the millennium, if I'm not mistaken..but still, you know..

Metal Black is perhaps a secret Darius sequel. Well - it started out as a one but officially ended up as something distinct..but it does feature several references to and enemies from Darius.

That's all (the tenuous contributions I have) for now.