6 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

Fell on a couple more after posting this - Shadow of the Ninja on NES was its own thing, with that name, until Tecmo bought the rights and re-released it as Ninja Gaiden Shadow on Game Boy. So in a roundabout way the NES game is a secret sequel. Of sorts. Kind of.

Ninja Gaiden is a funny bugger, the same name with 5 completely different games (the arcade, nes, master system , game gear and xbox are all completely different from one another. Only the nes and master system look similar but they are also totally different) 

Congo's Caper was something of a sequel to Joe & Mac on the SNES. I think it was one of those 'marketed as a sequel in one territory, but not another' jobs.

Vortex started life as Starfox/wing 2, I think. Then became Citadel.

Magic Carpet and Terminal Velocity maybe? Or Descent and Forsaken?

Hard ‘n’ Heavy was developed as a follow up to The Great Giana Sisters - since that game was a shameless Mario rip they couldn’t call HnH “Giana 2” and risk the army of lawyers taking interest again.

Surely dodging legal action counts as “secret” :P 

Some good shouts in here, thanks. Mainly I'm now wondering about how to frame it so it all fits in a hastily constructed narrative, but rest assured the 'secret sequels' thing is more a title* than a hard-and-fast rule.

*some call it clickbait

This is a fun topic and lots of good ones have already been mentioned.

The Vindicator by Ocean was going to be a sequel to Green Beret (it was even called Green Beret 2 at one point). Dean's also pointed out things like Human Like Human Killing Machine, which were either planned as sequels or morphed into something else.

No More Heroes is a sequel/prequel to Killer 7.

Yoshi's Story started off life as an official sequel to Super Mario Land 2.

Bioshock is a sequel to System Shock 2 (read that in gamesTM I think).

Okamiden is a sequel to Okami.

Dragon Age is basically Baldur's Gate 3 (a dev once told me the had to create a new IP when they lost the licence).

I'm sure Brian Fargo told us Fallout was a sequel to Wasteland.

Same goes for Mass Effect/Star Wars. Although I don't think either of those are well known, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Marathon and Halo share so many similarities they could be considered sequels.

We mentioned a while back how Assassin's Creed started off as a Prince Of Persia spin-off.

Paper Mario is essentially a sequel/spiritual successor to Super Mario RPG and Mario Luigi also has lots of connnections.

There's a Mario Excite Bike game many don't know about as it was a satellaview game (in fact there's a lot of direct sequels, such as zelda etc).

Contra 4 is a game not everyone will be aware of as it never got an official release here (we did review it though).

Gauntlet on DS was supposed to come out and got canned (so maybe that doesn't count).

Hyperduel could be set in the same universe as Thunder Force.

There's plenty of good lists online where I found some of these (I'm not that knowledgable :D).

16 hours ago, Sketch said:

Rarely have I found someone who even knows of Damocles! Always felt rather obscure. Did you ever finish it? Myself and a friend came quite close, but then we died from lack of oxygen on one of the planets.

I'm convinced I had some sort of double pack with the 2 games for the Amiga.

I think I got mercenary and Damocles free with my Amiga.  Part of the TenStar pack although a quick Google shows it was only Mercenary. Def had Damocles with it in whatever pack I bought . Whatever , I never knew how to play either.  

On 06/01/2021 at 18:21, Swainy said:

Renegade & Double Dragon.

Even more so ... The Combatribes to Renegade. 

Shadow Force is, as far as I can see, an unacknowledged entry in the Double Dragon lineup. Perhaps more a follow-up than a sequel, as the storylines are unconnected, and I always think that a connected narrative is one of the things you need to establish a prequel/sequel relationship between games. According to Mobygames something like 10 people worked on Shadow Force who also worked on the original DD, whereas only 2 or 3 of the creators of the original DD worked on DD3. 

It all gets a bit difficult to classify as people have mentioned. Especially when games have different naming conventions in other countries - as mentioned maybe that is what makes them secret sequels.

So I think someone mentioned Shinobi, Shadow Dancer and Shinobi 3

but If I remember (and I am likely wrong) but wasn’t it Shinobi - Shadow Dancer (in the arcade as the sequel) - Revenge of Shinobi (Megadrive - known as The Super Shinobi in Japan) - Shadow Dancer on Megadrive (different to the arcade) - Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master (known as The Super Shinobi II in Japan) so in some ways almost two different strands of the timeline? (Not including Master System games like The Cyber Shinobi Or Alex Kidd in Shinobi World)

Also what about D -> Enemy Zero -> D2

Not set in the same universe but broadly shared characters (although with some naming differences) - clearly set up as a digital actress though

Presumably these would be classified more as Spin Offs though.

Same with Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel (in relation to the two Aero the Acrobat games)

Heart of the Alien on Mega CD perhaps which is the sequel to Another World (or Out of this World depending on region) although I’m pretty sure it mentions that on the box. Perhaps not one people would realise by browsing through a list of fame names though.

Actually Satellaview stuff has a few of these such as:

F-Zero 2

Mario ExciteBike

Plus the various Chrono Trigger sequels/spin offs/tie ins: Radical Dreamers, the jet bike mini game plus some other bits

The whole area of sequels (and prequels) gets really murky with the way not all games are released with the same naming conventions.

So things like Secret of Mana being Seiken Densetsu 2 in Japan.

It is certainly an interesting and twisty/turny topic. In some ways you stray into games set in the same universe or same set of characters or that have a cross over or are a spin off or are a spiritual sequel. Then muddled further by how the games are named/marketed in different regions.

interesting to think about though.

7 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

interesting to think about though.

And far more difficult than I expected to codify in any reasonable fashion that isn't constantly inventing new clauses and doing mental gymnastics to fit everything under one banner. Siigh

Final Fantasy Adventure -> Secret of Mana -> Secret of Mana 2.

Known also as Seiken Densetsu 1, 2 & 3. 

Id call the first one a secret prequel as it was a long time before I was even aware of the connection and they are very different games entirely. Still though there’s a connection. I remember knowing that Secret of Mana was called Seiken Densetsu 2 way back but didn’t know why It was part 2 in the Japanese title. 

There was another series that i came across with a similar history and that was the other gameboy FF game FInal Fantasy Legend which has 3 sequels FF Legend 1, 2 & 3 which then became the Saga series starting with Romancing Saga and moved onto Saga Frontier. 

On 06/01/2021 at 18:57, dumpster said:

Eric and the Floaters on the Spectrum was written by Hudson Soft and is basically Bomberman, years before Bomberman was Bomberman.

From what I understand the ZX version is a port of the 1983 NEC PC88 Bomberman game renamed: https://bomberman.fandom.com/wiki/Bomber_Man

The games design from Bomberman was also directly ripped from the second play area in the Namco 1981 arcade game Warp & Warp.

On 06/01/2021 at 19:02, spanky debrest said:

Metal Black is perhaps a secret Darius sequel. Well - it started out as a one but officially ended up as something distinct..but it does feature several references to and enemies from Darius.

Metal Black is the sequel to Gun Frontier, hence the line Project Gun Frontier 2 when the arcade starts, Bordersdown from G-Rev was also designed as a follow up to Metal Black. Which is a very odd family tree.

I'm aware of quite a few wacky sequels over the years, but off the top of my head right now they all escape me. Mr. Driller is a follow up of sorts to Dig Dug and Baraduke as he's the son of the two lead characters from the latter titles.

OK let me think so the laugh a minute bad 2D fighter Battle Monsters on Sega Saturn, got a truly awful 3D fighting sequel in the form of Killing Zone on PS1.

You could also go down the Wonder Boy, Adventure Island rabbit hole and all the renamed PC Engine games too.

18 Wheeler Pro American Trucker got a pretty obscure follow up in The King of Route 66. You also have the RPG Drakken on SNES and it's follow up Dragon View.

Oh and the utterly bonkers western name of Kororinpa 2 on Wii, so no one knew it was the sequel USA it was Marble Saga: Kororinpa and in PAL it was called Marbles! Balance Challenge. Lots of bonkers renames like that to over the years for many games, in Japan it was just Kororinpa 2.

On 06/01/2021 at 18:21, Sketch said:

Rarely have I found someone who even knows of Damocles! Always felt rather obscure. Did you ever finish it? Myself and a friend came quite close, but then we died from lack of oxygen on one of the planets.

Yeah, I finished it - surprised you thought it was little-known; it was all over the games mags, because the original was so well-regraded. Loads of articles about how it was a fully modelled solar system and the like.

Played it on an ST.