Secret sequels

ianinthefuture

1 hour ago, Riven said:

Metal Black is the sequel to Gun Frontier, hence the line Project Gun Frontier 2 when the arcade starts, Bordersdown from G-Rev was also designed as a follow up to Metal Black. Which is a very odd family tree.

I'm aware of quite a few wacky sequels over the years, but off the top of my head right now they all escape me. Mr. Driller is a follow up of sorts to Dig Dug and Baraduke as he's the son of the two lead characters from the latter titles.

The problem with Metal Black being a secret sequel to Gun Frontier is that - as you say - the 'link' is explicitly spelled out..even though the games have absolutely nothing remotely in common with eachother aside from being Taito shooters. It's not like a Radiant-Silvergun-Ikaruga scenario where it's reasonable to track a lineage both in production and elements found in game; 'Project Gun Frontier 2' always seemed a red herring to me, something designed to distract from its Darius roots, for some reason.

Borders Down being a secret sequel to Metal Black is perhaps arguable too, for me. 'Spiritual sequel' seems more appropriate, factoring in the reunion of key staff members who worked on both games. 

I also really liked finding out that Mr Driller was Dig Dug's son (and the link with the Baraduke games' protagonists) but seeing as Dig Dug had legit sequels I never considered Mr Driller being one too. 

These are all nice points of discussion wherever you might stand though, I think.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Final Fight! 
Started off as a sequel to Street Fighter called “Street Fighter ‘89” before they changed the name. 

First page of the thread!

9 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Borders Down being a secret sequel to Metal Black is perhaps arguable too, for me. 'Spiritual sequel' seems more appropriate, factoring in the reunion of key staff members who worked on both games. 

I also really liked finding out that Mr Driller was Dig Dug's son (and the link with the Baraduke games' protagonists) but seeing as Dig Dug had legit sequels I never considered Mr Driller being one too. 

These are all nice points of discussion wherever you might stand though, I think.

Yeah I think there is a lot of good discussion on this and certainly some games would be classed more as spiritual successors.

Another one I just remember is Gunners Heaven / Rapid Reload is part of the Wild Arms series, there's a node to Gunners Heaven in almost all the games in the series. They both take place on the same world and the Gunners Heaven characters actually appear in Wild Arms 2. Media Vision did Gunners Heaven before creating Wild Arms on PS1.

• 3 months later...
On 07/01/2021 at 10:52, strider said:

No More Heroes is a sequel/prequel to Killer 7.

Contra 4 is a game not everyone will be aware of as it never got an official release here (we did review it though).

Isn't Killer is Dead the unofficial sequel to Killer7 ?

Some more; 

UFO Robo Dangar is a sequel to Terra Cresta.

Fatal Fury was made by the director of the very first Street Fighter, and is the game the director thought was the real sequel to Street Fighter.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica is the real sequel to RE2.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter is the sequel to Tail Concerto.

Kokuga is actually the second part in a shm'up trilogy directed by Hiroshi Iuchi, therefore making it the spiritual sequel to Ikaruga - the third part being the still unreleased Ubusuna.

The Wonderful 101 is actually the second part in Kamiya's "superhero trilogy", making it the spiritual successor to the first Viewtiful Joe game. The third game being Project G.G.

Sekiro could be seen as a continuation of the Tenchu games.

And Contra 4 is pretty ace btw.

11 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Kokuga is actually the second part in a shm'up trilogy directed by Hiroshi Iuchi, therefore making it the spiritual sequel to Ikaruga - the third part being the still unreleased Ubusuna.

Ah but

On 06/01/2021 at 18:43, jamesy said:

Not sure I'd call it much of a secret but isn't ikaruga the sequel to radiant silvergun. 

I thought the intended "trilogy" was RS>Ikaruga>Ubusana, and Kokuga was its own thing, but I could be wrong!

6 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I thought the intended "trilogy" was RS>Ikaruga>Ubusana, and Kokuga was its own thing, but I could be wrong!

I could be wrong of course, but all three parts of the trilogy are given names referencing something uniquely Japanese.

Ikaruga being the Japanese grosbeak (a bird found only in Japan), a kokuga being a provincial government office during medieval Japan, and an ubusuna being a type of Shinto shrine.

Of course Ikaruga itself is the (spiritual) successor to Radiant Silvergun, but also the first part of a trilogy. I think.

On 06/01/2021 at 18:21, Sketch said:

Rarely have I found someone who even knows of Damocles! Always felt rather obscure. Did you ever finish it? Myself and a friend came quite close, but then we died from lack of oxygen on one of the planets.

Still got the Damocles map that you got with it somewhere.

Anyway, it most certainly wasn't a secret sequel as a) it was called Damocles:Mercenary II on the box and b) it took place directly after you made your escape from Targ* in the first game, to the point that you could even transfer items from the first game.

I think I finished two of the five (?) endings.  Three if you count breaking into the Programmers House and then switching the computer inside it off.

* Reference intended.