TVs vs. Monitors for gaming - which do you prefer?

TVs vs. Monitors for gaming - which do you prefer?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For competitive gaming I prefer a monitor hands-down. But it saddens me deeply that I still need to compromise on HDR to do this today. It will be interesting to see if the Eve Spectrum is a game changer in this regard as it's HDMI 2.1 and HDR750.

17 minutes ago, Hass said:

For competitive gaming I prefer a monitor hands-down. But it saddens me deeply that I still need to compromise on HDR to do this today. It will be interesting to see if the Eve Spectrum is a game changer in this regard as it's HDMI 2.1 and HDR750.

Is it Windows that is rubbish when it comes to HDR, or the monitors themselves? And would you actually want HDR burning into your eyebls when you're sat that close to the monitor?

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Is it Windows that is rubbish when it comes to HDR, or the monitors themselves? And would you actually want HDR burning into your eyebls when you're sat that close to the monitor?

I think it's historically been both. I'm not close to the Windows scene these days but my memory is that the support has been really spotty. 

HDR monitors haven't really been a thing though until fairly recently. They tend to have reduced peak brightness (e.g. HDR600 vs. HDR1000) compared to OLEDs which is partly because of the tech but also to address the point you raise that you don't want to be 2ft from the sun.

On 09/01/2021 at 00:26, Wiper said:

As someone lucky enough to have near-best-case scenarios in both cases (a 3440x1440 ultrawide, gsync monitor; a 4K OLED, VRR TV): as with most things, it depends. Really the simplest answer is that anything which benefits from a mouse and keyboard plays much nicer with a screen designed to have your face in it, rather than one optimised for a couch. I've used a small TV as a monitor, and they're just not suited to it. And I've used a monitor as a TV [of sorts], and again, that's not where their strength lies either. So in reality, the choice is just 'where am I planning to sit when I play this game'.

Still, if I were considering solely the display strengths of the screens, rather than the context they sit in, then:

Anything which relies on extensive focus on small detail, or simply a lot of reading (so, say, most strategy games, adventure games, visual novels) then I'd prefer the monitor; no matter what sort of distance I'm sat from a TV, it's never as comfortable to read as a high pixel-density monitor. I also appreciate the extra peripheral vision offered in those games which can make proper use of an ultrawide aspect ratio - again, strategy games often benefit from this a lot (more map on screen at once, more space for UI clutter).

Otherwise, I'll tend to favour the TV, simply because OLED blacks improve, well, everything, and HDR is nice, when implemented well.

But again, in reality, the main decision I have to make is always "do I want to sit at a desk, or on the couch"; it's that decision which the one screen type enables over the other, and so it's that which is the driving preference-setter.

I couldn’t have put this better if I spent an hour rewriting it. It really comes down to whether you want a sit-back experience with a controller or a tuned-in experience with a keyboard and mouse.