Mr Robot - does it stay good?

I watched a Just Write video on YouTube the other day that described Mr Robot as ‘present-day cyberpunk’ and though, I fancy that. 

I just binged the first season and really enjoyed it, though it never quite regained the heights of the first episode. It’s an audio-visual treat, though. 

I see there are four seasons. Does it stay good? I watched S02E01 last night and it seems to carry directly on as if there wasn’t even a break, so that seems like a positive sign. 

its one of those shows that is either a staggering work of genius and the best things ever or a steaming turd of made up drivel that loses increasing amounts of credibility as time goes by and the only reason you keep watching it is to see how it ends

I was very much in the latter camp - it had so much potential and was so good for a while, it was occasionally capable of hitting the heights again briefly in latter series but overall I don't look back on time spent watching it as well spent

I thought it was great. Season 2 is pretty hard going, but it somehow gets better retrospectively as the seasons go on. 

The first episode really was something else though, one of the strongest pilots I've ever seen.  

I loved it throughout, the ending is incredibly satisfying. I think it might depend on whether you get caught up in the logic and realism of it or not. The stuff that happens probably doesn’t hold up logically but it is intensely satisfying narratively. Season 3 was my favourite, but I think the whole thing is absolutely excellent. 

Fir reference on my general thoughts on TV, it goes right up there with The Sopranos and the first four seasons of Game of Thrones for me, not quite at the incredible heights of The Wire but definitely one of the five best TV shows I’ve ever watched. 

It's a fantastic show. Stick with it. It's very much style over substance at times, but in a good way. There are individual episodes that are some of the best TV I've seen, with some amazing dialogue. I'm a big fan of Sam Esmail's style. I love Homecoming as well.

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

Got into season 1 easily, but season 2 was really off for me. I didn't finish it.

Same here. Loved series 1 but 2 was so bad I gave up on it.

I loved season 1 but season 2 was such a chore that it took me years to get through it.

It heats up again towards the end of season 2 and keeps going. I finished it during the first lockdown. It truely is an amazing show with great characters that you are invested.

There is a real sense that the dark army and white rose are formidable and dangerous enemies.

15 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I watched the first episode of this on Sunday, and enjoyed it very much!

Be warned that the pilot is by far the best episode I’ve yet watched (3 eps into season 2 here). 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I’ve just started season 3 and I bloody love this. The first half of s2 was indeed hard-going but it made up for it by the end. It’s totally bonkers and stylish and I love it. 

15 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I watched season 1 years ago then tried to watch season 2 after a long break. I honestly had no idea what was going on and that I would have to rewatch the first season to be able to follow it. Is it worth it?

Yes so worth it. 

The series is absolutely preposterous with one of the worst instances of

Spoiler

'oh wow so-and-so is actually so-and-so's child'

I've ever seen. Makes some of the worst soap operas look like Schindler's List.

Season 3 is amazing, I've only got two eps left of it. Whereas S1 had some threads that went nowhere and S2 had the feel of a show being strung out, S3 is much more focused. It's also all starting to make a lot more sense, whereas S2 was WTF layered on top of more WTF.

Thinking about the "all at once or once a week?" thread elsewhere in Film & TV, I feel like I'm definitely benefitting from watching these back-to-back and without the combined power of the internet guessing things ahead of time. It's pretty complex and I'd be lost if I was watching them one per week, while simultaneously being spoiled by reading online discussion between each episode. 

21 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Ok Season 3 WAS good! Now, where exactly does one watch Season 4? Just wait till it’s available on Prime?

It is on prime? 

Or it was when I watched this before Xmas, and I agree that series 3 and 4 are great. 2 is a definite low point. 

I was really worried it would have some awful ambiguous ending but it was actually quite satisfying. 

Odd. It’s still on Uk prime. Which is unhelpful for you. Apologies if this is a stupid question but have you searched for it? As I’ve had stuff appear separately on prime before, like series 1-3 are grouped and then S4 is on its own like it’s a different program. 

I checked and it said unavailable while the other seasons had prime logos next to them but I’ll check again. Prime here costs hardly anything as there is essentially no Amazon so it’s just twitch prime (or Amazon gaming) & streaming, which is I believe quite limited in library terms.

Ok I’m done now. Jesus Christ what a ride, what a ride. S4 E10 I think, wow, that was it. Great show and glad it’s all wrapped up now. Actually, don’t think I could handle many more super tense episodes. Phew. And yeah, it was good.