PSN Account with 2FA Hacked - Make sure you switch from SMS to Authenticator App

4 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Massive thanks for the heads up, is it worth just removing the SMS option entirely if you have the authenticator? 

Just remove it, then select Authenticator.

28 minutes ago, dizogg said:

What’s the incentive to get someone’s PSN account? Sure maybe they could buy games etc but how does that benefit them from a scam point of view?

They shouldn’t be able to buy anything because as everyone should know by now, it’s simply to risky to leave your payment details on a PlayStation account.

45 minutes ago, dizogg said:

What’s the incentive to get someone’s PSN account? Sure maybe they could buy games etc but how does that benefit them from a scam point of view?

They sell the account on eBay with games, easy money

I’ve updated mine now too although I don’t use it really these days.

I bailed from Sony for all intents and purposes a while back after the big leak/hack whenever that was and their stance on refunds etc  some time after that (although that might have changed now). I removed my card details after the hack so it was a chore to buy stuff so I didn’t bother. It essentially came down to me having no faith in their processes, customer service and security which seems like an over reaction until something goes wrong.

2 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

They sell the account on eBay with games, easy money

One thing with the OPs account is that they could presumably change the name now too(?) and with their crap systems there would be no guarantee you’d get it back.

1 minute ago, Kryptonian said:

One thing with the OPs account is that they could presumably change the name now too(?) and with their crap systems there would be no guarantee you’d get it back.

Exactly that, I’m worried mine has been breached as I looked and my wins per game ratio on Fortnite and it’s shocking a I think someone is playing badly on purpose in my account......

I should’t jest but with Sony the golden rule is assume everything is insecure, will be compromised and you’ll never get your money/account back so protect it as best you can - app generated passwords and Authenticator app 2fa.

6 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Are you 100% sure your son didn't mistakenly tell someone the account details? People can be very manipulative online.

Did you read it as his 11 year olds account rather than HIS 11 year old account?

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

Exactly that, I’m worried mine has been breached as I looked and my wins per game ratio on Fortnite and it’s shocking a I think someone is playing badly on purpose in my account......

I should’t jest but with Sony the golden rule is assume everything is insecure, will be compromised and you’ll never get your money/account back so protect it as best you can - app generated passwords and Authenticator app 2fa.

One thing Sony did assure me was that i'd get the account back exactly as it was when it was hacked, so with my PSN ID intact etc, even though they changed it already.

Just now, gooner4life said:

One thing Sony did assure me was that i'd get the account back exactly as it was when it was hacked, so with my PSN ID intact etc, even though they changed it already.

I hope so, I really hate this kind of thing. When it happens overnight or on a weekend it seems worse as you’re powerless until someone gets back to you :(

1 minute ago, Kryptonian said:

I hope so, I really hate this kind of thing. When it happens overnight or on a weekend it seems worse as you’re powerless until someone gets back to you :(

I feel violated man.

Except the time Xbox Live kept charging an expired card of mine monthly for an impressively long time. Each time putting me further into a non existent overdraft with the associated fees. It took approximately 7 billion calls for them to stop doing this.

On 09/01/2021 at 13:31, gooner4life said:

Nope, I called Sony when they opened at 11:30 this morning, they have raised a case but said it will take 2/3 days to hear back from the escalation team, absolute shambles when you consider somebody turned off 2 step and then changed every fucking detail possible on the account seconds later, surely they should have some sort of cooldown system in place if you deactivate 2 step.

I’m not trying to be a prick, I do sympathise, but this is what I was talking about when I said why I was going Xbox this gen. It’s exactly the sort of shit I had in 2015 that ended up on Watchdog and, while I’ve heard they’ve improved, they still don’t seem to care enough. 

(No idea how MS are, but I’ve had good service in other areas. I just know Sony are bad.)

So about an hour ago, I check my friends list on my second PSN account and my account is online playing fall guys.

I invited them to a party but they wouldnt accept then sent loads of messages informing them the account was hacked and stolen and that it's been reported.

They logged off or went offline.

Why are Sony allowing my account to be used? absolute fucking cretins.

6 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

They shouldn’t be able to buy anything because as everyone should know by now, it’s simply to risky to leave your payment details on a PlayStation account.

Ive always left them on. I’m not typing in my card details everytime I want to buy something! 

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

So about an hour ago, I check my friends list on my second PSN account and my account is online playing fall guys.

I invited them to a party but they wouldnt accept then sent loads of messages informing them the account was hacked and stolen and that it's been reported.

They logged off or went offline.

Why are Sony allowing my account to be used? absolute fucking cretins.

Bad! Feel sorry for anyone having to deal with PlayStation support.

Know someone who got a job at a call centre here in Berlin and it was outsourced to PlayStation.

Said it was horrendously stressful - calls had to be resolved on average in a few minutes, if it wasn't resolved you'd have a supervisor come up and place their hand on your shoulder to let you know to wrap it up, 30 seconds downtime to document what the call entailed before needing to pick up the next one - just a horrendous experience.

It was English speaking so think it was for the UK and from what I heard I'm not surprised it all feels a bit rushed and non-conclusive.

Hope you get it sorted soon :(

I'd make sure you have your PS account linked to an authenticator app in fact any online service you use to be fair. Most decent online businesses support authenticator apps now and it's really easy to set up. Both MS and Google offer easy to use / configure apps.

Think the main issue at times is that Sony is not a software company so don't have products out there like MS OSes and Azure etc it's their bread and butter.

Hopefully it will get resolved quickly and not too much damage has been done.

21 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Ive always left them on. I’m not typing in my card details everytime I want to buy something! 

Fair enough, but ever since the big hack it doesn't look like they've improved much. Lots of horror stories about, even on this forum. Of all the platforms, including PC platforms like Steam and Epic etcetera, PSN is the absolute last platform I would want my card details on.

I love their consoles and games, but their whole online infrastructure comes across as hilariously incompetent to me. From innocent stuff like how they implemented PSN names and the shoddy long awaited fix to be able to change your name, to more serious stuff like STILL USING SMS 2FA FOR YEARS AFTER A HUGE EMBARRASSING HACK. Even my grandma has known for years that SMS is as insecure as shit. Glad that they're using an app now but it seems like they didn't bother telling anyone. And unless you turn 2FA fucking OFF you don't even see the option and you'd never know! Jesus fucking christ the amateur cunt hour of power is strong over there. With all the awesome dev studios they have you'd think they could find someone whose internet security knowledge extends beyond 1998.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Fair enough, but ever since the big hack it doesn't look like they've improved much. Lots of horror stories about, even on this forum. Of all the platforms, including PC platforms like Steam and Epic etcetera, PSN is the absolute last platform I would want my card details on.

I love their consoles and games, but their whole online infrastructure comes across as hilariously incompetent to me. From innocent stuff like how they implemented PSN names and the shoddy long awaited fix to be able to change your name, to more serious stuff like STILL USING SMS 2FA FOR YEARS AFTER A HUGE EMBARRASSING HACK. Even my grandma has known for years that SMS is as insecure as shit. Glad that they're using an app now but it seems like they didn't bother telling anyone. And unless you turn 2FA fucking OFF you don't even see the option and you'd never know! Jesus fucking christ the amateur cunt hour of power is strong over there. With all the awesome dev studios they have you'd think they could find someone whose internet security knowledge extends beyond 1998.

Agree 100%. I know you are protected by credit card insurance but claiming it all back is a PITA and then the loss of the account etc. Better to try and cut the risk down as much as possible.