And just like that....Sex and the City returns to the small screen

A new series of Sex and the City is coming. It’ll be ten half hour episodes and it’s called “And just like that”. Kim Cattrall won’t be returning as Samantha. 

My wife was very pleased, she loved the show. She even insisted we go on a Sex and the City bus tour of New York on our honeymoon. I have seen a few episodes, have a vague awareness of plot lines from overhearing it in the background or my wife talking about it, but can’t say I’m a fan. 

Any fans here? 

Oh wow!  Even in the current climate of old franchise revival, I didn't see this coming.

I absolutely loved Emily in Paris - it was infused with the soul and wit that made S&TC so enjoyable.

This... has potential, in my books.  A pity about Kim Cattrall though.

There's a lot about the original series that is problematic in 2020, it was very much of its time (the episode about bisexuality is downright embarrassing through a modern lens) so they have their work cut out. In the modern climate, a series about a bunch of white, rich, privileged women moaning about shoes and boyfriends as if they're so hard done to, and expecting us to sympathise with them, is going to seem incredibly anachronistic. They're going to have to work hard to make this work now they're all much older and times have changed so much.

I didn't click with the show originally.

But if this revisit was group of young, ethnically-diverse people laughing at the non-problems of excruciatingly wealthy older white people, then I'd give it a shot.

Title implies that it's the same group to me.

Shit name drop - Kim Cattrall once laughed at my attempts to walk in high heeled shoes.

I was a runner on a C4 youth show and her interview was set on a cat walk and they needed more bodies, I was overly confident in how easy it would be to walk in 6 inch heels ( I thought it would be like walking on your tip toes) and then hobbled down the cat walk like a new born horse in an ice rink.

4 hours ago, Majora said:

There's a lot about the original series that is problematic in 2020, it was very much of its time (the episode about bisexuality is downright embarrassing through a modern lens) so they have their work cut out. In the modern climate, a series about a bunch of white, rich, privileged women moaning about shoes and boyfriends as if they're so hard done to, and expecting us to sympathise with them, is going to seem incredibly anachronistic. They're going to have to work hard to make this work now they're all much older and times have changed so much.

See also Mark Kermode’s review of Sex and the City 2, which nails the more problematic areas.

There’s always a market for watching rich while people complaining, look at the success of Made in Chelsea. I’ll be interested to see how they go about it because Sarah Jessica Parker is the same age Beatrice Arthur was at the start of The Golden Girls.

I really loved the original series. I think it became a bit of a by-word amongst top lads for terrible chick TV ya bossy missus forced you to watch, but it is genuinely good. New York is the greatest film location in history and there's plenty of it here. It's maybe not Mean Streets, but a different, glossier version that's enjoyable to wallow in. Massive fan of the first series where they do the vox pop segments of people talking about bum sex or whatever that come across like they were just broadcasting dreadful audition tapes received straight from central casting without even looking at them first.

I'm not sure what the point of this is though. The films were an abomination and probably killed any interest anyone outside of a hardcore had stone dead. Stanford is going to need to do some seriously heavy lifting to breathe some life into this.

I used to watch this, it was pretty good for what it was at the time and gave you something to talk about to people at work who watched it.

There probably is a decent show to make about a group of female characters you care for and how they get older together as a group - I'm just not sure this lot have ever really shown the ability to take characters that people care for and deal with actual emotion (like say Fools & Horses in its pomp was able to). I seem to recall very occasionally they'd touch on something in a storyline but it was always mainly lighter fluff, and the films were just daft.

This is just as likely to be about what bags and shoes older ladies should be seen out in.

I feel like it’s going to be very boomer, with rich old white people pretending things are difficult for them. 

I enjoyed the original few seasons a lot, but I was quite young when I used to watch them. My memory is that it devolved into them being silly caricatures of themselves by the end, and the movies were really cynical, horrible, sexist shite, with the second being incredibly racist. Not sure I’m excited. 

I used to enjoy the series back in the day for what it was, but the second movie was genuinely one of the worst things I've ever seen and horrifically racist to boot. I can't think of many more tone-deaf scenes I've ever seen than that scene where a group of Muslim women reveal that they secretly wear western designer labels underneath their religious clothing to feel emancipated. Awful.