IGNORED

3 Hour long gaming

DJ Sack

How many of you would like to see more games that last a max of 3 hours?

Even short games like MGS2 and PoP are too long at times, sometimes i just want to go back and play MGS, but unless i want to sit there for 8+ hours in one go or do it over multiple days, its not going to happen. It'd be nice to play through, especially story based games in the same time frame of a film, i often go back to rez, parapper and sonic adventure because they can be completed within the 3 hour mark. Its just nice to play through from begining to end and experience it all in one go rather than multiple goes days apart.

Now im gona ignore price of these titles, but would you rather have more 3 hour long games? Of course there is always a place for longer games, but imagine playing a game where all the top ideas are included in the 3 hours, rather than having them included in 15 hours and filled with okay to crap ideas.

Yes... and no. I could breeze through Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven in three hours if I took the fancy, as I've played it enough I could pop off the levels in no time at all. With one character, of course.

But on the first play through, if it lasted three hours I'd be seriously disappointed. I think I took about 15 per character on Tenchu, just because I loved the stealthy game.

Ico 3.5 hrs (when you know what you're doing), just like watching your fav movie on a rainy Sunday :P

EDIT:

but imagine playing a game where all the top ideas are included in the 3 hours, rather than having them included in 15 hours and filled with okay to crap ideas.

This seems to be the theory behind Ninja Gaiden and it's got me very interested. But then there's always people who will harp on about "value for money"... :)

If I bought a game that only lasted three hours - no matter how good it was I would want more. If the game doesn't last as long there is much less replay value.

Take "The Library" for example, many - if not virtually everyone believes that it is extremely boring and drags on for far too long, even bungie say this. To be honest I never even noticed and single point was boring when I first played it through, I was amazed by people saying it was.

Take "The Library" for example, many - if not virtually everyone believes that it is extremely boring and drags on for far too long, even bungie say this. To be honest I never even noticed and single point was boring when I first played it through, I was amazed by people saying it was.

Well, it stuck out like a.....oh shit, better not open this tin of worms again.....

I'd rather games with 3 hour or so "lengths" to them, but with completely different routes towards getting to an end, or a number of 3 hour missions for which give you pretty much all you may want out of a game, but with the option of extra routes and the like.

You know, like Burning Rangers. Or the upcoming Cold Winter.

For me I dont think its an issue, if I want short burst gaming I have PES or Tiger Woods. But story driven games I wanna get stuck into.

I disagree there slightly, watching a film you get the whole story within 2 hours roughly, so it would be nice to experience a short and sharp story within 3 hours, its really hard at times to keep track of a game with 20 hours game play when your playing it over a number of days/weeks. Its akain to having the news at ten stuck in the middle of your film on ITV.

Pes and tiger woods are good, but sometimes you just want to sit down and actually accomplish something which has an ending, where once its done, its done, theres not more too it or an unlimited amount of extra playing.

A good idea is to release a franchise of games with several unrelated "short stories" about 3 hours long and retail them £5 each. People wouldn't complain as they were so cheap, you'd get a nice compact plotline and they'd be cheap to make too, as you could reuse the same engine.

Its horses for courses.

The thing is, it really only applies to arcade games (unless your from California or an Otaku).

Many games last far longer then 3 hours but what i believe is that arcade games (like Flipnic and Psyvariar) should be cheaper too.

Or Halo's idea (which is basically shareware).

How's about:

-Rez

-Jet Set Radio

-NiGHTS

-Otogi

-Burning Rangers

-Super Monkey Ball

Hey, they're all by Sega! A reason why I always consider the company above Nintendo. Honestly, I think Nintendo are fantastic, but they're not the best at replayability factors. Sega wins in that field.

These small gems get played a lot more often, I can't think of an epic I've played through more than once, I've played Vib Ribbon, Space Channel 5 1/2, and Super Monkey Ball (advanced course mainly) through loads of times. I loved playing KOTOR, but I really don't have the 44 hours space to do the whole lot again as a dark side follower.

So, yeah - small games - high replace, bring em on

I'd love some short games.

Quality, not quantity, sir. It opens up a whole new mess of arguments, though. But it would at least stop Square from releasing TOO many 100 hour long bore-a-thons.

Why, though? They have their place. And I hate the "60 hour" or "100 hour" claims. I've regularly completed FF games within 35, and you could do it even quicker if you wanted. Kinda defeats the point though, doesn't it? I mean - it's a gargantuan quest to save the world.

I'm a firm believer that a game should only be as long as the story it tells. I haven't a problem with 3 hour games, but to expect someone to pay £40 is ridiculous. Not saying that the price should be tied to the longevity of a game but if you're going short-and-sweet you're going to fail unless you provide value for money (such as loads of unlockable extras).

I really miss short games myself. You say that there still are still short games in the right genre areas but platformers arn't. They've just evolved into boring collect-o-thons.

Playing Sonic 2 and Sonic CD back to back today made me realise that platformers really are dead in todays gaming climate.

Id love for games to start having a cap of say 3 minutes for a level (excluding a boss). Tony Hawks was always great because of the 3 minute cap and then it went all crap.

Without wanting to come over all Roger Bennett, if a short game has sufficient replayability then it can be worth full price. Considering that replayability is a quality with no known maximum, you'd think more developers would aim to increase it.

Sorry, FairPlay side-effects ahoy! :angry:

It would be a good idea to give the player the opportunity to play a watered down version to serve the purpose of this thread, and also a 'director's cut' version for a longer and more substantial experience.

Whilst I can see the argument for a shorter experience, I do prefer a long one! My idea keeps everyone happy though.

R type final. 1hr game time.

Takes 3 hours to complete on first try.

Hours clocked. 15 hours.

I'd say short games with lots to unlock offer the most replayability and fun. But epics are good have every now and again, but these days ever game seems to be a 40 hour epic.

Although it's a tired primary school project work cliche, I think quality is more important than quantity. Most quest based games these days bore me within half an hour, and the prospect of doing such terribly easy tasks for another 20, just to complete the game is hardly thrilling. Even replaying ICO yesterday I found elements of the game mechanic rather tedious (slow, simple puzzles) but they were easily outweighed by the superb atmosphere. Despite this, I can't play it for more than an hour at a time.

Ikaruga on the other hand, or any good shmup for that matter (and beat 'em ups too) can keep me entertained for hours on end, being so open ended and letting the player set their own targets. I appreciate people like games with lots of tasks to complete, but if they're not challenging or interesting then I feel like it's a waste of time. I've played through so many games like that before, they don't change much.

It heavily depends on the game. You can't expect a game to play like Tenchu or Metal Gear and have a playtime of a few hours all the time, because the play mechanics are ripe for 15-20 hours of play. Whereas "twitch games" such as Ikaruga or Street Fighter can give you this because the ideas run thin very quickly, all they can do is give you tougher AI or more enemies.

It all depends on what variety can possibly be there in the first place, and the game must do everything to keep the gamer interested by using it's variety or lack-thereof properly. A game such as R-Type Final must have high scores, it must have sumptuous graphics, it must give you something to attempt each time while keeping you atmospherically hooked for those hours. KOTOR on the other hand wants to give you a story to experience, and will deliver variety alone on the fact that the gameplay can be so much more open ended.

Look at football games - a match can't change that much from the last one. The goals will be different, the challenge may be different, but the aim is always identical. You can get bored after a few matches. Few games counteract this well, but two I believe succeed. Pro Evolution Soccer 3 gets around it by giving you excellent AI capable of throwing up different matches, and an excellent control system allowing you room for experimentation. Not to mention it's Promising Player system, which can be addictive in an RPG like sense just to get that uber-striker. The other game is Sensible World of Soccer. By making its games 3 minutes long, their repetitive nature is forgotten as an hour later you're halfway through the season and the excitement builds as you battle against relegation, reach the latter rounds of the Champions League or fight it out for that last playoff spot.

If by default a game's design limits the variety in the gameplay, the game needs to offer as many other reasons to play it as possible. I still play Renegade on the CPC to this day. I can finish it in less than 15 minutes, but it's just so damned playable, and so sweetly made, with great music, top notch graphics for the machine, and with barely a fault to be found in it, I just don't care. It's 15 fantastic minutes. If a game's going to be 3 hours, let it be 3 fantastic hours.

I disagree there slightly, watching a film you get the whole story within 2 hours roughly, so it would be nice to experience a short and sharp story within 3 hours, its really hard at times to keep track of a game with 20 hours game play when your playing it over a number of days/weeks. Its akain to having the news at ten stuck in the middle of your film on ITV.

Pes and tiger woods are good, but sometimes you just want to sit down and actually accomplish something which has an ending, where once its done, its done, theres not more too it or an unlimited amount of extra playing.

Yeah but I dont want it, thanks anyway... :angry:

For me PoP, was the perfect gaming lengh. It kept me going right up until the end, and I'm looking forward to going back to it. GTA: VC on the other hand I'm getting bored to death with. I know you can play it a mission at a time, but I just want it to end now.