IGNORED

Machine Games Indiana Jones Project - No Time For Bugs Dr. Jones

Harsin

1937 Rome, then. I have to admit, I'm stupidly excited for this. I've been playing The Emperor's Tomb again recently (it's on Xbox BC) and even though the game really does show its age, I find playing is Indy so much more fun than other pretenders to the crown (I'm looking at you, Nate and Lara). MachineGames seem like a good fit for the franchise as well. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just to make sure: these MachineGames devs are the ones who made Riddick, that's why I specifically chose that example. Unique, yes, but these are the actual, uhm, Riddickers.

Actually I didn’t realise it was them so yeah that makes things interesting. 

Very interested in finding out what type of game this will be, considering they've only made first-person games (and some bloody good ones too, including licensed fare like Riddick and The Darkness). I think it'll probably be more like Uncharted though. Respawn was focused on first-person games as well, but Fallen Order was third-person.

LucasArts Games VP interview:

All this news comes on the heels of an official return to the classic Lucasfilm Games branding. And there’s meaning in that change. “This is really the culmination of years of preparing to come out and say, ‘We’re here, we’ve got a team of people, we’re going to make a lot of great games, and here’s some new things you weren’t expecting from us to do that we’re now starting to do,’” says Reilly. “And that’s going to continue throughout the next year or so, where we’re going to continue to announce projects that are more representative of the legacy of the old Lucasfilm Games that we’re now trying to live up to.”

Part of that legacy includes a certain adventuring archaeologist, who is also making a return to gaming. “The decision, in some ways, was really easy,” Reilly says. “I have wanted to do an Indiana Jones game for a long time, and we’ve never had the right fit of partner and idea to make that happen. We are extraordinarily fortunate to be working with Todd Howard, the executive producer for the upcoming game, which will be developed by MachineGames and the team at Bethesda. He has a unique vision and a unique passion for Indiana Jones, and pitched us a story and a concept that is so amazing, I can’t wait to start sharing it with folks. I love Star Wars and we love making Star Warsgames, but it’s been a long time since we’ve made Indy. We’re really excited about this one.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 13-1-2021 at 17:49, Vemsie said:

Very interested in finding out what type of game this will be, considering they've only made first-person games (and some bloody good ones too, including licensed fare like Riddick and The Darkness). I think it'll probably be more like Uncharted though. Respawn was focused on first-person games as well, but Fallen Order was third-person.

You could very well be right of course. But given this is the Riddick/Darkness team, I can also imagine that if anyone could make an immersive first person Indian Jones game with melee and whip combat that works, it's them.

I mean, remember The Darkness? First person demonic tentacle combat with a bunch of moves resembling handling a whip? There's a precedent of sorts for them :)

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You could very well be right of course. But given this is the Riddick/Darkness team, I can also imagine that if anyone could make an immersive first person Indian Jones game with melee and whip combat that works, it's them.

I mean, remember The Darkness? First person demonic tentacle combat with a bunch of moves resembling handling a whip? There's a precedent of sorts for them :)

They definitely could. But Indy is such an iconic character that they'll probably want to show him on screen as much as possible. But that's just a hunch. I might be totally wrong. Looking forward to it either way though.

1 minute ago, Vemsie said:

They definitely could. But Indy is such an iconic character that they'll probably want to show him on screen as much as possible. But that's just a hunch. I might be totally wrong. Looking forward to it either way though.

You could totally be right. But as I said earlier, Riddick did a fantastic job of evoking Vin Diesel while still being first person. But yoy could totally be right. Look forward to finding out

24 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You could totally be right. But as I said earlier, Riddick did a fantastic job of evoking Vin Diesel while still being first person. But yoy could totally be right. Look forward to finding out

But the hat, man! :)

16 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

But the hat, man! :)

They could make it Metroid Prim-ish where you see the hat brim in the upper part of the screen all the time :lol: And when Indy gets wet, the brim hangs lower :lol:

And lots and lots of ray traced reflections everywhere im which you can see yourself

50 minutes ago, Ran said:

entirely first person would be a novel way of avoiding paying for Harrison Ford's likeness! (If they smash all mirrors and smudge all reflective surfaces)

Or every time you go to look in a mirror it swings vertically and smacks you in the chin.

2 hours ago, squirtle said:

I know that this was cribbing from Tomb Raider, but this was actually pretty decent and some time before Uncharted.

Shows you can do a decent Indy game in the third person mould.

It's on Games With Gold from 1st February!