Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 12/02(Switch)

I'm definitely okay playing 3D World again, and with added new stuff? That's clearly a nice bonus.

But giving me Super Saiyan Gigantamax Cat Mario in a Kaiju af battle with Calamity Bowser? Above and beyond!

1 hour ago, HarMGM said:

Apparantly in Japan, Bowser in this mode is named God-Slayer Bowser.

Metal As Fuck.

Not true, sadly. Was just a joke by the Youtuber Matt McMuscles.

The (limited, admittedly) footage I initially saw of 3D World made it look like it was another side scroller, a la NSMB, but that seems not to be the case, and actually it’s a bit more free form, with a mixture of perspectives including side scrolling, free camera 3D and fixed camera 3D courses. Is that a fair assessment? For those who’ve played it already, how would you characterise the style of game?

The original 3D World is fixed camera 3D Courses. This new content looks like a hybrid of it and Odyssey.

I'm very much looking forward to this for the multiplayer. My girlfriend is slowly getting into games but twin stick controls can be difficult to wrap the head around. This should make for a cool way to ease her in.

@Parksey - assuming you’re asking me, no I didn’t sadly, I didn’t own a 3DS or Wii U.  I’m sure I read some comment that Land is even better?

New Mario is always a good thing in my book, so I’m looking forward to this a lot. The description of “hodgepodge” is really appealing, actually. 

I (re)played this on the Wii U recently and really didn't enjoy it very much.

The problem is that it's designed primarily for multiplayer and as a result the courses aren't all that interesting - big and wide and open for the most part to cater for all the different people hopping around. Thematically it's very bland for a Mario game too. All the levels just kind of exist in isolation, you never feel like you're exploring an actual place or that there is any kind of progression from one level to the next.

Then you play it in multiplayer and it's annoying as hell, the run button is the same as the pick up button so you're constantly lifting other players above your head without meaning to. If you accidentally jump on someone you go spinning off into the air. It's just really aggravating and you'll just end up causing each other to die the entire time.

8-way movement and a digital run button in a 3D environment always feels stilted and removes the best thing about Mario games, the fluidity of control.

It's easily my least favourite Mario game across both 2D and 3D instalments, it takes the worst aspects of each and merges them into one hodge-podge of mediocrity. I won't be buying it again on the Switch!

I think that it's the worst 3D Mario in terms of singleplayer, because the courses are designed for more than one player (fuck, I finally automatically wrote 'courses' rather than levels. Kill me now), and so they're too wide and there's too much space in the platforming. But with more than one player, the game really comes alive and is bloody great fun. The extra space then makes a lot of sense, and there's real exhilaration in racing through the levels, fucking each other over every once in a while, and figuring out how to collect all the green stars. Plus, once you complete the rather easy main campaign, the real game begins... there are loads of unlockable levels, and the final one is a bastard-hard all time classic in my book.

I'll always have a soft spot for the game anyway, because it was the first 3D platformer that my 8 year old played and it's the root of his love of Mario.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

@Parksey - assuming you’re asking me, no I didn’t sadly, I didn’t own a 3DS or Wii U.  I’m sure I read some comment that Land is even better?

New Mario is always a good thing in my book, so I’m looking forward to this a lot. The description of “hodgepodge” is really appealing, actually. 

I think it's the best Mario game since the SNES days. I really loved the open games but this feels like the more natural evolution of those 16 bit games.

Pretty good, then.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I’m sure I read some comment that Land is even better?

I don't know who made that comment, but I would 2nd it. Land is a masterpiece, but you admittedly might not think so in the first couple of levels. Like all the Mario games, it reveals more to you as you play more. Anyone can get to the end, but there is generally a complete extra game hidden away after that point, and those parts are simply breathtaking in their scope, their genius, and their inventiveness.

World is just behind it. Not far, and even if you play both, you'll still think of World as utter brilliance.

Land was excellent. I'm disappointed that a re-release for Switch hasn't been announced, as the 3D effect was used minimally on 3DS and could possibly be fixed quite easily for other screens.

Yeah 3D Land is my favourite purely because it's a more challenging game in single player. 3D World's levels are wider and more forgiving, likely to accommodate four players as @Garwoofoo said. I still absolutely adored it though.

The faster run speed, new dive move and Cat Mario climbing for more height should make even the simpler courses interesting to return to and earn faster times. For dweebs who care about that stuff.

I absolutely love world. It’s a fun pick up and play play former where guy can run in different directions. What’s not too love?

I always struggled to really enjoy the galaxy games. I know, sorry. I appreciated them and recognise they’re great but just didn’t love them. I think I need to give them another go. 

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

I don't know who made that comment, but I would 2nd it. Land is a masterpiece, but you admittedly might not think so in the first couple of levels. Like all the Mario games, it reveals more to you as you play more. Anyone can get to the end, but there is generally a complete extra game hidden away after that point, and those parts are simply breathtaking in their scope, their genius, and their inventiveness.

World is just behind it. Not far, and even if you play both, you'll still think of World as utter brilliance.

I wish they'd release Land on Switch. Much prefer it to the 2/3DS form factor .

The real question here is how substantial Fury is, is it a linear experience or more of an online procedural affair? I still don't know what it is really and how much value can be gained from it.

The main theory going around is that it's a bit of a rogue-like affair where you try to collect as many of those red cat collectables as possible within a certain time-frame before giant Bowser awakens. Then he'll probably kick your arse as you haven't powered up enough, but him awakening will change certain aspects of the level (the trailer shows his fire attack breaking gold blocks into coins for example). Inevitably you do better on subsequent runs until you collect enough cat tokens to turn into giant cat Mario and take on Bowser.

None of this is confirmed but seems a fairly reasonable guess looking at the trailer again.

The only problem with Mario 3D Land was that it had too much of a gentle start. The second half of the game is much better than the first, as the a lot of the opening worlds are just a bit too easy. 

Mario doesn't have to be a difficult game of course, as there's a simple joy in controlling him, but games like Galaxy and 64 can get away with a soft opening due to the exploration or multiple-stars-in-a-course aspect, whereas when it's more linear, you tend to just blast through the first half in one go. The levels end up not particularly memorable because of that. 

But, yeah, I preferred 3D Land too. It's one I keep going back to for a quick play every few years.