Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 12/02(Switch)

20 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

What's the single player verdict from you folks? Too empty and easy? Or still essential?

Mario 3D World is great in single player. Still one of the best 3D Mario games. Clearing the levels can be easy, but getting the green stars and stamps can be very tricky. Later stages up the challenge a fair bit.

Bowser’s Fury is pretty good as well, but it’s not worth paying full price for if 3D World doesn’t interest you. And it’s fine in single player. Bowser Jr. can more or less be turned off as well.

If Bowser’s Fury started off as a prototype for a new kind of Mario game, I think the fact we’re playing it means we’re never going to get a full game based on those concepts. But assuming that is the case, I would love to see Nintendo polish up and release more rejected game ideas as bonus content in the future.

Edit - I realise polish up here still means, like, making a modest sized game’s worth of work.

6 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

I think depth perception is quite challenging in this one for some reason.

It really is, which is something I haven’t found in any of the other 3D Marios. Also, the movement is nowhere near as nice as the likes of Odyssey or Galaxy. Still a very fun game, though - it’s been nice to get back into it. Have been playing it in 3 player, which is a riot.

Cor, the speed increase is something, isn't it? As someone who is used to playing his Mario with the B/Y run button permanently held down, I've been flinging myself off the stages with my momentum far too often. Going to have to readjust to just walking in the trickier platforming bits. 

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

It’s absolutely incredible. Hasn’t aged a bit in 7 years and further proof that Nintendo are peerless. 

I think it’s the best looking game on the switch tbh and I don’t mean that derogatorily, 1st party titles generally look ace.

I've always struggled with 3D Mario games a buyt with judging jumps and something end up jumping at a completely word angle to where I thought I need to be.  It's a little frustrating but always assumed it is me trying to get in the zone like I would do in the old style 2D games. Particularly SMW.

I think it’s a combination of the perspective being confusing sometimes as well as Mario actually not being as agile as he is in Mario 64 and Odyssey. The game is generally stiffer much like Galaxy.

Platforming sections tend to be easier if you tilt the camera to an isometric view I find sometimes...

Played up to halfway through world 2 this evening with housemates and while the multiplayer works better than it does in the 2-D games I still generally just found it a bit irritating. Items flying around everywhere, the camera struggling to showcase three  people a lot of the time resulting in much flying around in bubbles, parts of levels clearly designed around one player feeling either trivialised or harder than intended because of the extra bodies. Fine for fucking around for a bit but I'll probably restart the game tomorrow on my own as I feel like you lose the intended design of the levels amongst all the chaos.

I'll hold off really commenting on the game much until I go through it solo but the way the moveset is mostly the same as 3D Mario but not quite is throwing me. Especially the backflip. Why do I need to hold crouch down for several seconds before I can do it? 

So the postie came through and been playing a few hrs of this. 
i really like it - bags of personality and looks lovely. Solo player is perfect for me but with the 2 kids as well it’s a bit mental - but do like the scoring at the end of each level. 
So never having played this at all before it’s a bit more frantic than I had thought but overall great fun. 
Not seen any of the juddering people have mentioned - even with 3 of us playing. 

Just now, iknowgungfu said:

Can anyone tell me what I am missing here in the pic below?  In Odyssey I'm sure the little mario emblem meant something:

https://twitter.com/iknowgungfu/status/1360624446814318597?s=09

The game originally came out in 2013, which was the Year of Luigi (shudder), so they put 8-bit Luigi sprites all over the place. I think you could touch them with the pointer for coins?

Played some Bowser’s Fury in docked mode yesterday and it’s bloody lovely. Shame they couldn’t manage 60fps in handheld (couldn’t they have disabled some of the effects?). The difference between docked and handheld can’t be that big, so I imagine handheld just couldn’t manage a rock solid 60fps all the time. Shame.

I think I’d love a massive open world Mario game, like Breath of the Wild but with power blocks and coins. Random little platforming challenges all over the place.

And I had absolutely no problem travelling from A to B in Super Mario Odyssey. That jump + hat + dive + jump manoeuvre, with a potential forward roll at the end became engrained into me. So much so that I keep trying to do it in Bowser’s Fury :facepalm:

26 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The game originally came out in 2013, which was the Year of Luigi (shudder), so they put 8-bit Luigi sprites all over the place. I think you could touch them with the pointer for coins?

Cheers. I hadn't realised there were touch screen elements to this until a few levels on.

Really enjoying Bowser's Fury. It continues the Nintendo trend of having a supporting 2nd player role. My partner likes being involved even if its fairly superficial at times. The 10+ seconds loading times when you transform is oddly out of character for Nintendo though.

I'm really enjoying Bowser's Fury, as well, more so than the main game. Odyssey muscle memory has scuppered me a number of times but that's not the game's fault. The only real criticism I have is that there's a lot of 'high wire'/lofty sections where if you fall or misjudge a jump or whatever, you plunge down miles into the water. It's quite old school in that respect, reminds me of Sunshine. Largely, very good fun, though, and the kaiju cat Mario is a brilliant addition. 

Downloaded it this morning in 12 minutes! Played the first stage in World and the speed increase really is noticeable. 

Switched to Fury and played for two hours straight. It’s really fun, looks great and is just charming and happy as Hell. I love Nintendo.