Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 12/02(Switch)

Playing Bower’s Fury a wee bit this evening. It’s using the Odyssey, I think?

Also, punch is gone, which is great, but is it my imagination or is there no triple-jump, or has the timing for it just got very difficult?

There’s no-one online when I look for a game, which is a shame. 

Played some 3P online with friends yesterday which was hilarious. I completed this in single player on Wii U and loved it, but multiplayer elevates it hugely. This game really is fantastic and I’m glad I double dipped. 

I'm enjoying the game but finding the depth perception difficult, far moreso than the other 3D Marios. I'm semi-regularly missing pipes and platforms on the y-axis, and have just straight up ran off the level on multiple occasions. It has the same sort of camera as Luigi's Mansion, but those games don't have any platforming.

This is pure joy. Bowser's Fury is some of my favourite Mario action ever, it's only the Boswer gimmick itself that spoils it a bit. Otherwise it's like someone said earlier, it's like Super Mario World come to life in 3D. The overworld map and the levels all seamlessly integrated and you're just hopping and running from level to level, each a brilliant and fun platform challenge that exists in the same space as all the other platform courses and it's just magical. This is peak Nintendo and it's a damn shame they felt the need to crowbar the repetitive Bowser stuff in. I want a full proper game of this next time, without the Bowser. It's just so joyous,it really reminds one why we play games in the first place. 

54 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Interesting to read others are having depth perception issues on this; me too. Dunno why, I don't recall it being a problem in Odyssey.

Odyssey has a free camera, 3D world doesn’t a lot of the time (and quite often locked) and then there’s the map design, 3DW providing many many more opportunities to fall down holes.

Plus it’s 8 way directional movement, not analogue. I suspect people aren’t having the same issues in Bowsers Fury.

Coming off the back of 3D land in actual 3D it’s caused a few issues.

There really needs to be a cap on how long Bowser stays around in Fury. It’s basically impossible to do some shines with him out and I’ve just had a run where despite being unable to hit me he stuck around for 5 minutes. Me just crouched on a fucking ledge. I gave up and committed suicide to get rid of him and start again. Not fun in the slightest.

56 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

There really needs to be a cap on how long Bowser stays around in Fury. It’s basically impossible to do some shines with him out and I’ve just had a run where despite being unable to hit me he stuck around for 5 minutes. Me just crouched on a fucking ledge. I gave up and committed suicide to get rid of him and start again. Not fun in the slightest.

How long he's out depends on how many Cat Shines you have. Bit of a spoiler to say more, but I found it fun to find challenges that I could still do with him there - it adds an interesting extra layer of difficulty.

6 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

How long he's out depends on how many Cat Shines you have. Bit of a spoiler to say more, but I found it fun to find challenges that I could still do with him there - it adds an interesting extra layer of difficulty.

Yeah, it’s not annoying me so far. I’m tending to keep note of certain shines or bowser blocks so I can quickly route back to there when he turns up.

18 hours ago, CarloOos said:

I'm enjoying the game but finding the depth perception difficult, far moreso than the other 3D Marios. I'm semi-regularly missing pipes and platforms on the y-axis, and have just straight up ran off the level on multiple occasions. It has the same sort of camera as Luigi's Mansion, but those games don't have any platforming.

The level on World 4 that has the platforms change to the beat has a diagonal bit where I couldn't see where I was about to land, made it very frustrating. Then I found I could tilt the right stick and it gave me a straight-on vide that was much, much better. So now with every level I'm tilting it about if I'm having issues with depth perception. 

14 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Im at 75 shines and have done the credits fight. On the next appearance I was near an old fury blocks shine hole so went in that. He disappeared after a couple of jumps.

Bowsers fury is great fun. Took me 4 hours to beat bowser for the first time,  will play some more tomorrow I think.

The open world is great change.

Lots of hidden secrets. Being able to store items and using them at specific points cut out all the pointless backtracking as well.

Bowser shoeing up randomly can get annoying but it does add that level of randomness too it. Wonder how that will affect speed runners.

The hope they actually do an open world Mario game in the future.

100% Bowser's Fury. Really enjoyed mopping up for the most part. Probably the Mario I've enjoyed most since Galaxy despite the fact it's not quite (imo) a fully realised concept.

It could do with a little refinement of the Bowser occurrences (more consistency around getting him to go away or not spawn at least in post game). Maybe a little more variety in the island tasks. Races across the map.

The island designs are all amazing although I think in a fully realised version of this concept we'd hopefully see really different settings. Think the BOTW map with desert area, snow area etc. Although care is needed as I did really enjoy the mixing of areas into the same basic ocean and not needing them to be logical (given its a game).

Love the removal of the lives system and the way power ups work. In the open world setting this really frees you to explore without thinking about what power up you need. After the first few minutes I don't think I ever didn't have the power up I needed available. That's freeing, not game breaking. It could be pushed much further though. Shines which require you to use different power ups in combos to reach areas.

For the final shine I was looking for a lost kitten and it did not quite go to plan...

The reason it was the last shine was for the life of me I couldn't find the little bugger (spoiler of one of the lost kitten locations)...

Spoiler

What's great about when I found him is that it didn't really take long. It just took thought. One per level island. One on the plateau. So of course he was here.

20210216_221328.thumb.jpg.e1fec34e6f3a1df5312dc3a34e4f9912.jpg

Taking him home did not got to plan ( wet minor spoiler but not really for anyone who has played)...

Spoiler

On the way back collected an entourage...

20210216_221330.thumb.jpg.522f898635454e9d6416b5828508b085.jpg

Spotteded Bowser was about to spawn so decided to wait it out so collecting the shine would get rid of him.

Oh dear god... No!

20210216_221331.thumb.jpg.e6a87a88cc962e4e926c8761f6bc3f1c.jpg

Without hyperbole I believe fully fleshed out this could be the next big step forward for Mario. It reminds me of the way BOTW changed what a Zelda game could be.

Almost 40 years since Mario Bros. Broadly defined what a 2D Mario was. 20 years since Mario 64 defined what a 3D Mario was. Many iterations in between. This feels like it could be the template for the next direction.

That’s story mode for BF done... maybe contrary to most, I loved Bowser appearances towards the end. It made it really tense.

for those struggling with his appearances early on

Spoiler

Find the bowser blocks and get Fury to blast them 

2 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Without hyperbole I believe fully fleshed out this could be the next big step forward for Mario. It reminds me of the way BOTW changed what a Zelda game could be.

Almost 40 years since Mario Bros. Broadly defined what a 2D Mario was. 20 years since Mario 64 defined what a 3D Mario was. Many iterations in between. This feels like it could be the template for the next direction.

I honestly think this is where it’s going and I reckon other games designers will just pack it all in.

It took me a little while to warm to it, but after that, and getting used to just the idea of an open world design applied to Mario, and whether that’s  possible whilst still retaining the same feel and ingenuity, it became apparent that, yes it is, and yes it’s really pretty awesome too. Really hope they do more with it in future, but for now BF is an excellent addition. 

Haven't really played Bowsers Fury yet- 3D World is new to me so we are clearing it first- but I assume at some point you can actually get rid of Bowser and just have a big open map to run around doing jumps in?

53 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It took me a little while to warm to it, but after that, and getting used to just the idea of an open world design applied to Mario, and whether that’s  possible whilst still retaining the same feel and ingenuity, it became apparent that, yes it is, and yes it’s really pretty awesome too. Really hope they do more with it in future, but for now BF is an excellent addition. 

I love exploring the world, it feels much more open than any level in Odyssey felt, including New Donk City... it's the future of Mario.  

17 minutes ago, Wonderm said:

Haven't really played Bowsers Fury yet- 3D World is new to me so we are clearing it first- but I assume at some point you can actually get rid of Bowser and just have a big open map to run around doing jumps in?

In case people don't want to know...

Spoiler

Yes. Once you get all the shines and beat him again he disappears I think (didn't look like he was still spawning but didn't spend long in game after doing it).