Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 12/02(Switch)

Saw the (first) end credits last night, but still have a bunch of cat shines still to collect. It’s so fucking ridiculously good.

I do wish Bowser’s appearance was user-controllable, at least after the credits have rolled. You should be able to trigger when he appears so you still have a way to destroy the Bowser blocks, kind of like the dark/light world switch in LTTP. Maybe they could have added a few more cat shines that were only possible to collect when he’s around too.

59 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I haven't worked out what makes Bowser appear post credits...

Post first credits (I.e. without all shines) its unchanged from before the credits.

After all shines I’m not actually sure. Maybe every 10 minutes it should pop up a link to buy the Amiibo.

11 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Post first credits (I.e. without all shines) its unchanged from before the credits.

After all shines I’m not actually sure. Maybe every 10 minutes it should pop up a link to buy the Amiibo.

I suppose I meant that I don't really know what makes him appear at all - sometimes it's quite frequent and others it's not.

9 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I suppose I meant that I don't really know what makes him appear at all - sometimes it's quite frequent and others it's not.

Random timer basically. Look at his shell in the middle of the map rising up. The speed of respawn seems to vary a bit.

There are some forced tweaks to that towards the first "completion" with him appearing more frequently as you get closer.

On 13/02/2021 at 10:34, GokouD said:

I played the first level of 3D World in local 2 player, and there seemed to be quite a lot of stuttering in places. Hope it's not an issue with my Switch because I feel like people would be screaming about it if everyone was seeing it...I've also started Dark Souls recently and that has a lot of judder and stuttering too, I assumed it was just a janky game but now I'm not so sure!

Soooo...a couple of weeks ago I plugged a laptop into my TV using the hdmi for the Switch, and it must have switched off game mode. I just turned it back on and 3D World is smooth as butter, and feels much more responsive. Fucking tv! Dark souls feels a lot more responsive too. Can't believe I played all of Bowser's Fury in that state :facepalm:

On 20/02/2021 at 11:00, Popo said:

The shine where you have to get all the blue coins on the ice skate is bloody infuriating!

a wee hint 

Spoiler

You only need the skate for the spikes at the start

Really? I found that without the skate I couldn’t move quickly enough to reach the last few coins before they disappeared, but that might just be my general cack-handedness. 

Did it as soon as I posted my frustration, obviously. 

I'm not sure about Bowser's Fury, I end up finding it a bit annoying whenever Bowser appears to be honest. I don't feel like his appearances add much to the game and I find myself wanting to go back to normal exploring as soon as he appears. 

I'm also not a fan of the way the challenges are presented to you. It seems like you have to constantly keep returning to previous areas to see if new elements have been added. I can explore an area and only find three shrines, leave, go back to it later and there's new enemies and a new shine. Go away, come back and now those enemies have replaced with some other enemies and there's a new switch that wasn't there before. It just feels....arbitrary? Like it wants you to keep looping around the same areas over and over in the hope that something has changed.

If they just removed Bowser and had it so all the shines were actually present in the world at the beginning I'd probably like it a lot more. It's alright but it does feel like a bit of a curio more than anything.

I agree with it being a prototype for a Mario game. The question is whether it’s the next big one or if this was a discarded direction. Was this a pre-Oddyessy experiment that they didn’t end up pursuing?

I hope not.

I’d love to see this expanded to a more complete experience. It’s close but has some rough edges and lacks a little variety if expanded.

I’ve got to the credits, and collected all the green shines and stamps I could find... so where’s the rest of it? Apparently there’s about 380 green stars in the game and I only have 243 or something. Am I being dense?

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

I’ve got to the credits, and collected all the green shines and stamps I could find... so where’s the rest of it? Apparently there’s about 380 green stars in the game and I only have 243 or something. Am I being dense?

Worked it out. Can confirm I was being dense (and paying 0 attention to any cutscene or any of the credits)

On 21/02/2021 at 14:14, Majora said:

I'm also not a fan of the way the challenges are presented to you. It seems like you have to constantly keep returning to previous areas to see if new elements have been added. I can explore an area and only find three shrines, leave, go back to it later and there's new enemies and a new shine. Go away, come back and now those enemies have replaced with some other enemies and there's a new switch that wasn't there before. It just feels....arbitrary? Like it wants you to keep looping around the same areas over and over in the hope that something has changed.

Each area has a lighthouse, each lighthouse has 5 holes - one gets filled every time you collect a shine. A cutscene clearly shows this. Therefore each gate has 5 challenges associated with a shine. When you've collected all 5, a flagpole is raised on the lighthouse and it will keep shining instead of being covered again.

Therefore you can also tell from a distance whether there's a new shine - the lighthouse is covered in black goo.

On top of  all that in case one is really not paying attention, you can also press right to bring up the map. Every gate which has a shine to collect is marked with an exclamation point.  You don't need to arbitrarily travel back to check, it's clearly shown on the map.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Each area has a lighthouse, each lighthouse has 5 holes - one gets filled every time you collect a shine. A cutscene clearly shows this. Therefore each gate has 5 challenges associated with a shine. When you've collected all 5, a flagpole is raised on the lighthouse and it will keep shining instead of being covered again.

Therefore you can also tell from a distance whether there's a new shine - the lighthouse is covered in black goo.

On top of  all that in case one is really not paying attention, you can also press right to bring up the map. Every gate which has a shine to collect is marked with an exclamation point.  You don't need to arbitrarily travel back to check, it's clearly shown on the map.

Whilst you’re right about all that you do have to do this little dance of leaving the island and returning to trigger the change in state for the first 3 shines (the last two are always available regardless of the area’s state).

So turn up and do the first shine (normally get to the lighthouse). Now you need to leave and return so it can reconfigure for the chase, blue coin, speed, golden key etc.

I didn’t find it too bad myself. I’d basically do a shine, then quickly pop to another island and turn around to come back.

Its basically the equivalent of leaving the Mario 64 world and reentering the painting to pick the star you want to chase. Some are always available. Others require you to be on the specific one.

Just seen the credits on Bowser's Fury, but bloody hell it was annoying how much he turned up after 48 shines. Luckily I found 2 pretty easy ones to grab to get to that 50 shine battle. Going to do the rest now, does the speed of Dark Bowser appearing ramp up again towards the end? If so, I'll save some easier ones.

4 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I know all this but what I'm getting at is the need to keep triggering them in an open world feels very artificial. For example, one of the very very early areas you have the panels that flip when you jump and some enemies you have to kill to get the shine I think. Maybe bees. I did that, went really not very far away at all, looked back and the enemies had changed to magikoopas. So I went back and now you basically just have to kill all of them to get the new shine. It doesn't feel like an organic way of progressing through the challenges. As I say, it feels arbitrary just swapping the enemies or elements around because you've run past an invisible trigger. 

Also, defending the exclamation marks littering the map that show you exactly where to go to find every shine? What is this, an Ubisoft game?! ;)

It's definitely a structure that doesn't quite work as well when you drop levels into an openworld. I think the game also gives you an idea of how a single world can constrain creativity a bit when it comes to creating those "levels" within the big world. The most interesting element for me was having a load of different power ups at my disposal all at once. I quite like having the option to flip between them at appropriate moments to negotiate the game's bigger challenges. It was intriguing and enjoyable if not 100% successful..

The speed in World makes a fucking huge difference doesn't it? It's funny playing this directly after Sackboy, which I loved. Astrobot VR aside, I think it's the best Sony platformer they've made.  But yeah, it never ceases to amaze me how far ahead of eveyone else Nintendo are when it comes to 3D platformers. It also makes me want a 4K Switch 2 right fucking now.

On 24/02/2021 at 19:31, Wonderm said:

My son wants a poster of all the characters on the stamp screen now. Any hi-res images knocking about 

Press the screenshot button.

Is completing the 'true' final level of 3D World actually possible for anybody who isn't a tool-assisted AI specifically programmed by Nintendo themselves? Bloody hell... :wacko:

Beating the boss of NG+4 Sekiro was easier. 

I'm not complaining, I love being punished by my beloved Ninty, but I think this might have broken me. 

11 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Is completing the 'true' final level of 3D World actually possible for anybody who isn't a tool-assisted AI specifically programmed by Nintendo themselves? Bloody hell... :wacko:

Beating the boss of NG+4 Sekiro was easier. 

I'm not complaining, I love being punished by my beloved Ninty, but I think this might have broken me. 

It took me weeks of pure raging sweary bliss. I’ve said it before, but Champion’s Road is my peak Mario experience. The prospect of playing it again is a large part of why I’ve bought the Switch version, although it’ll likely be a few months until I’m back there since I’m only chipping away at a few levels very occasionally.

And when I get there, I certainly will not be using any Tanooki suit :quote:

I can reliably get to the beat box bit, then my flow just falls apart. And if you lose your tanooki suit then it's a faff trying to complete previous levels to source a new one, so I just stubbornly keep playing as Mario unpowered up. Grrr.