Bliss - Owen Wilson's Matrix

Coming to Prime Video on 5 February. Owen Wilson meets Salma Hayek, a woman who is convinced the world is a simulation. And proves it. And they learn telekinesis-like powers. But the worlds start bleeding into each other and Wilson is confused about what's real.

That trailer just reminded me how much I love The Matrix's aesthetic. The cinematography, camera angles, editing are all top. All films are storyboarded but the Wachowskis brought far more flair and boldness to their shots than the norm. Its brilliance forces itself on you with how clear cut it is that you know they've thought about every shot for years on end. 

Last time I watched it I was struck how well conceived the final foot chase scene is. It didn't need to be; everyone by that point has had enough amazing action sequences. But it's meticulously framed in every second. 

I think the best example of film fans turning on a film because of its popularity is The Matrix. Uh I think you'll find as a sci fi film it's sorely lacking and as a film isn't a patch on Bound, The Wachowski's true career highlight

Can someone not just develop a particular skill where they can shake a person in a specific way that they forget a single memory of their choosing so that I can watch The Matrix totally new again. 

• 1 month later...

I’m really not sure what to make of that, either I’m missing something or it was a very simple story made needlessly overly complicated and confusing and ultimately left me feeling as though I don’t know what I was supposed to take away from it. But then I felt the same way after my first viewing of Enemy a film which this reminded me of at times, but now I consider that to be a masterpiece, so I don’t know :lol:

Well...

Spoiler

It was presented as a science fiction film, but it turns out that it's really a film about addiction and mental health problems.

I was initially disappointed with the abrupt ending as I was still watching it as a sf film up to the end, and waiting for a satisfying explanation of the brain box tech, and what it all meant, etc. and it just stopped.  Only afterwards did I twig that he was someone with mental health and addiction problems, but the whole film had been presented from within his warped world-view.  The details of tech and the magic powers were a red herring.

I thought it was interesting to watch a film from that perspective.

I'm wary of even putting this in a spoiler though, because telling people that there's a 'twist' before they watch it would undermine the effect of believing in the main character's perspective.

Yeah that’s my take on it too although, and I’m not trying to be clever here because I’m really not (clever), but I viewed it that way throughout.

I found the depictions of addiction, mental illness and homelessness, well, just a bit cliched. It was interesting though to see a film presented that way without the director explicitly telling you what is going on, and it had some lovely visual touches (the prisms of light in the nice world for example) good performances from the two leads too but ultimately it just felt a bit hollow and, ironically, one dimensional. I mean it touched upon class, race, poverty etc. but didn’t seem to know what point it was making there, if any. 

I went into this blind and I’m so glad I did, because if I’d seen the trailer above I would had a completely different set of expectations. It somehow manages to give everything away whilst also completely mis-representing the film, which is far more Vanilla Sky than The Matrix.

I’m not convinced it really worked narratively or emotionally, but I don’t regret watching it. I was suitably bemused throughout, and it looked lovely in places.

Spoiler

It very much seemed like an obvious addiction metaphor to me, perhaps because I had no preconceptions about it supposedly being a sci-fi film when watching it. That angle doesn’t really present itself until 2/3 of the way through.

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

I went into this blind and I’m so glad I did, because if I’d seen the trailer above I would had a completely different set of expectations. It somehow manages to give everything away whilst also completely mis-representing the film, which is far more Vanilla Sky than The Matrix.

I’m not convinced it really worked narratively or emotionally, but I don’t regret watching it. I was suitably bemused throughout, and it looked lovely in places.

Hide contents

It very much seemed like an obvious addiction metaphor to me, perhaps because I had no preconceptions about it supposedly being a sci-fi film when watching it. That angle doesn’t really present itself until 2/3 of the way through.

I admit I'm not very good at spotting things beyond the surface story elements when I first watch something, but yeah, I'd seen the trailer so went in waiting for the Matrix SF stuff to start happening from the beginning.  I guess it would be quite a different experience if you hadn't seen the trailer, as it's quite a way into the film before anything really strange happens.

So in this case, seeing the trailer really improved the experience of watching the film for me.

Regarding the drugs.

Spoiler

I thought it was a pretty straight forward metaphor too - the orange crystals were uppers, the blue ones downers. When they were neither up or down the reality was they were homeless living in a makeshift shelter, I don’t even think Salma Hayek’s character existed, it was all in his head as he is a delusional schizophrenic. 

Spoiler

I seem to be in the minority in feeling the future world being the real one. The wallet glitching and the pedestrian repeat glitch not being something he saw.

Probably wrong though.

13 minutes ago, Pug said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I seem to be in the minority in feeling the future world being the real one. The wallet glitching and the pedestrian repeat glitch not being something he saw.

Probably wrong though.

Spoiler

Perhaps he didn’t see any of it, he was imagining it. 

The way to look at that, I think, is that it was just too good to be true.

Spoiler

Also why would he choose to stay in a computer simulation with a daughter who isn’t real?

What was remarkable I thought was just before the film ended and the credits rolled, it was literally spelt out for us when he was on the road to recovery ‘bliss’. 

Come to think of it, now I’ve had time to think about it, like @Ste Pickford, I am warming to it more. As an ex addict myself there’s a lot I identified with, some of it uncomfortably so, but it was nice they didn’t try and put a spin on it - rather, this is how this guy is right now and how he sees the world. 

Thanks everyone for talking in a quite considerable way about this film that got 29% on rotten tomatoes, that i wrote off despite the premise and now i just have to watch it. This is not sarcasm, I'm sure I'll get something out of it. Thanks. Again no sarcasm. 

On 13/01/2021 at 21:47, Loik V credern said:

Last time I watched it I was struck how well conceived the final foot chase scene is. It didn't need to be; everyone by that point has had enough amazing action sequences. But it's meticulously framed in every second. 

I watched it last week too. Agree with all this, but bit at the end where Neo jumps into Agent Smith and makes him explode into neon green is really tacky. It’s like they had run out of cash and found the cheapest CGI agency to do it for them.